• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(174613)

Banned
1 Badges
Oct 21, 2009
  • For The Glory
Well, we now effectively have unlimited tags.

Which cultures can be permitted?

Balance is naturally an issue, so we don't want to just throw them in willy nilly - which in particular has an effect on revolters.

Here are the ones I have added in my mod, and you can judge for yourself. Some may be viewed as unnecessary, but I tried to do mine out of balance.

Added new cultures: austrian, breton, castilian, catalan, celtic, circassian, danish, english, flemish, irish, neapolitan, norwegian, portuguese, prussian, sardinian, scots, swedish

Removed/amalgamated anglosaxon, gaelic, iberian, scandinavian

"In short, it's about balance, baby!" :cool:

Yeah. I don't want scandinavian culture. But I know that my friend will not play it if you remove scandinavian :p

And I think we should remove the ethiopian culture. And add Oromo & Amahara atleaset but Tigre would be a nice addition too.

Oromo:
250px-Ethiopia-Oromia.png

And btw shoulnd't Ethiopia be renamed Abyssinia? Or Ethiopian Empire

But please don´t turn this in another Magna Mundi 2 where you even can´t conquer your neighbour without serious penalties.

Giving every backlot it´s own culture is all fine but remember that a player will be limited to his country´s culture(s) nad playing a game as German OPM will not be as interesting as before thanks to all those penalties you get for wrong cultured provinces.

But please don´t turn this in another Magna Mundi 2 where you even can´t conquer your neighbour without serious penalties.

Giving every backlot it´s own culture is all fine but remember that a player will be limited to his country´s culture(s) nad playing a game as German OPM will not be as interesting as before thanks to all those penalties you get for wrong cultured provinces.
It depends on game style. Not everyone is a fun of word empire building games...

As you had to mention one extreme I´ll give you the other:

Watching your two province Switzerland for 400 years and living in the shadow of the Habsburgs and France, always in danger to be overrun and annexed is a really bright prospect for the future.:p

Agreed. Rather than wildly opening the floodgates, I think different cultures need to be justified.

Sardinian? No real point there.

I just gave you mine as examples, really.

This thread is here for people to argue their case. :)

And add Oromo & Amahara atleaset but Tigre would be a nice addition too.

What would adding Amhara and Tigre do? I can understand Oromo as that would be related to a sequence of events. Amhara and Tigre would both be accepted cultures for Ethiopia, so I don't see the point in the division.

What would adding Amhara and Tigre do? I can understand Oromo as that would be related to a sequence of events. Amhara and Tigre would both be accepted cultures for Ethiopia, so I don't see the point in the division.

Just to add some flavour to the game. Teach people the different cultures :)

Just to add some flavour to the game. Teach people the different cultures :)

It's just as accurate to label it all as Ethiopian. Africa has heaps about heaps of small cultures that could be added. I don't think that is a good idea unless there is some gameplay reason as well.

The only time where I could see an Ethiopian split making sense is if we added Ethiopian revolters...

But it is much more logical to simulate both historical accuracy and legitimacy of the rule in Sardinia with Sardinian culture than with “Italian” to allow Milan or Venice (for example) to control this island without any serious problem.

Why? There's no great harm in letting them easily rule one island.

Because the local population would hardly accept the legitimacy of the rule of La Serenissima: the traditions and cultural “codes” of Venice and Sardinia are too different. Personally I cannot understand how big cultures of 19th century’s nation-states type could help to represent the historical situation in Europe of fragmented ethnic regional identities of Ancien Régime…

IMO this is a serious shortcoming of EU2, which was quite naturally fixed in EU3.

the more the merrier I say :)

And as a counterpoint, why create a situation where no one should want to own Sardinia, even though it was owned by some other nation throughout the period?
I doubt that this will make Sardinia unluckily to be conquered by any regional power. My opinion is only that the historical “cultural” setup should not encourage the creation of the absolutely absurd and unhistorical nation-states so early in game.

And historical nations that did control Sardinia could easily receive “Sardinian” as accepted culture from the start or gain it later through the historical events (like Savoy-Piedmont, for example).