• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

    Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!


  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

    The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.


    Real Strategy Requires Cunning

unmerged(17856)

General
Jun 26, 2003
2.473
0
Visit site
This thread is for culture requests and modifications. They are posted below:

Colour Scheme as follows:
uncontested motions
contested motions

LIST "O" CULTURE REQUESTS AND MODIFICATIONS; Aye/Ney; Relavant Post #
  • 'Huron' and 'Iroquois' cultures merged to 'Iroquoian' culture; 1/0; 2
  • Merge all future vacant provinces into 'Native' culture; 6/0; 7,9,11,17,18,65
  • Merge 'Taureg' culture with 'Berber' culture; 3/0 39,40,41
  • Change 'Tartar' culture in Kalmyk province to 'Mongol' culture via event, during the GC;
  • Create 'Ainu' culture for the Ezochi province; 2/0; 53,55
  • Create 'Songhai' culture for West Africa; 1/0; 61
  • Give Awdaghost province 'Berber' culture; 1/0; 63
  • Create 'Fulani' culture; 2/0 62,64
  • Create 'Airu' culture; 1/0 85
  • Create of 'Lotharingian' culture; 2/1; 3,31/12
  • Replace 'Frisian' culture with 'Dutch' culture; 2/3; 12,15/20,21,24
  • Replace 'German' culture in Geldre with 'Dutch' culture; 1/0; 24
  • Replace 'German' culture in Oldenburg with 'Frisian' culture; 1/1
  • Split 'German' culture into 'Upper' 'Middle' and 'Lower'; 2/3; 25,31/25,29,32
  • Split 'German' culture into 'Bavarian', 'Swabian', 'Franconian', 'Saxon' and 'Low Saxon' cultures;
    2/3; 25,31/25,29,32
  • Replace 'Maltese' culture with 'Italian' culture; 2/1; 26,38/32
  • Replace 'Maltese' culture with either 'Arabic' or 'Berber';1/2; 32/26,38

NOTE: Please feel free to correct anything represented above pertaining to your own post(s) that you feel may be misleading. :)
 
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2004
565
0
Lotharingian? :)
 

Kennelly

Captain
45 Badges
May 6, 2003
306
0
Visit site
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Ancient Space
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
ribbon22 said:
'Huron' and 'Iroquois' cultures should be united into "Iroquoian". This saves us a culture tag :)

I'm not exactly into that,what NA nations are in game now as revolters (none are present at gamestart,that I know)?If there aren't (and won't) be any,couldn't even more North American cultures be merged,perhaps even all?I mean,with no NA nations what need is there for several cultures in NA?They serve no purpose at all as it doesn't matter when England tries to colonize a province,whether this province is Huron or Iroquoian or North American culture,it is all about number of natives and their aggressiveness. I know it's not historically very accurate to merge,i.E. Navajo and Huron,but these tags could be used where they are more needed,say in splitting up Scandinavian or German culture.
 

unmerged(17856)

General
Jun 26, 2003
2.473
0
Visit site
Kennelly said:
I'm not exactly into that,what NA nations are in game now as revolters (none are present at gamestart,that I know)?If there aren't (and won't) be any,couldn't even more North American cultures be merged,perhaps even all?I mean,with no NA nations what need is there for several cultures in NA?They serve no purpose at all as it doesn't matter when England tries to colonize a province,whether this province is Huron or Iroquoian or North American culture,it is all about number of natives and their aggressiveness. I know it's not historically very accurate to merge,i.E. Navajo and Huron,but these tags could be used where they are more needed,say in splitting up
Scandinavian or German culture.
Hmm, well three NA nations are going back into AGCEEP; Huron, Iroquois and Cherokee. Currently, there are by last count 5 free culture tags. There are Huron and Iroquois culture tags and even Cherokee culture tags that are reserved for Huron, Iroquois and Cherokee that are currently not being used.

So why should Huron and Iroquois culture tags be merged? Well, they all spoke a different language which was unintelligeable to each other, but it is based off the same linguistic tree 'Iroquoian'. Second, archeologists group these nations into the same catagory as 'evolving' from the same migrant ppls with the same farming techniques and similar societal customs, tools, and buildings: 'Iroquoian'. Lastly, when Iroquois raided Hurons and Hurons raided Iroquois, they adopted members of each others tribes, they assimilated each other in a small scale over time during their long-standing mourning wars (picutre your basic celtic blood feud), and finally, with firearms (and the Hurons coked up on Catholicism mind you), the Iroquois mass assimilated the Hurons at the culmination of the Beaver Wars. There's no reason to have Huron and Iroquois as seperate culture tags. They must be merged. This saves at least one culture tag giving us 6 free culture tags. If you'd still like to protest this move, then do it in the North America thread

I'd like to try to keep this thread relatively clean. :D
 

unmerged(6159)

Field Marshal
Oct 23, 2001
9.458
0
Visit site
ribbon22 said:
Lastly, when Iroquois raided Hurons and Hurons raided Iroquois, they adopted members of each others tribes, they assimilated each other in a small scale over time during their long-standing mourning wars (picutre your basic celtic blood feud), and finally, with firearms (and the Hurons coked up on Catholicism mind you), the Iroquois mass assimilated the Hurons at the culmination of the Beaver Wars.

The Iroquois sucessfully assimilated English and French captives. And there is a reason why Johnson is a pretty common name among the "pure laine" Quebecois.
 

doktarr

Wet Blanket
16 Badges
Aug 3, 2003
2.071
33
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
ribbon22 said:
Currently, there are by last count 5 free culture tags.
Actually, there are around 20 free culture tags, provided we are willing to merge cultures that no nation can ever have into "native" culture as needed. This has no impact on gameplay; the only time it can even be noticed is when you examine the culture of a trading post.
 

unmerged(17856)

General
Jun 26, 2003
2.473
0
Visit site
doktarr said:
Actually, there are around 20 free culture tags, provided we are willing to merge cultures that no nation can ever have into "native" culture as needed. This has no impact on gameplay; the only time it can even be noticed is when you examine the culture of a trading post.
I'd be interested in knowing how much support there is for this idea. I don't think I'd be for it though, I'd prefer a more regional approach - a more moderate 'merging' process.

But which tags do you think deserve "native" culture?

btw, my count of five was simply based off of Norefeldt's list which, mind you, states it is incomplete so there may indeed be more than five, currently.
 

Jester

El Jeffe De La Verca Del Fuego
64 Badges
Feb 26, 2001
1.165
0
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
doktarr said:
Actually, there are around 20 free culture tags, provided we are willing to merge cultures that no nation can ever have into "native" culture as needed. This has no impact on gameplay; the only time it can even be noticed is when you examine the culture of a trading post.

I support this Idea..lets merge all the empty areas into NAtive culture. I see no reason to have cultures using tags that are never playing any importance in the game.

LAte,
Jester
 

doktarr

Wet Blanket
16 Badges
Aug 3, 2003
2.071
33
Visit site
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
ribbon22 said:
I'd be interested in knowing how much support there is for this idea. I don't think I'd be for it though, I'd prefer a more regional approach - a more moderate 'merging' process.

But which tags do you think deserve "native" culture?

btw, my count of five was simply based off of Norefeldt's list which, mind you, states it is incomplete so there may indeed be more than five, currently.
Well, just look at the sticky on cultures. Just to pick a few examples, "Cree", "Inuit", "Mississippian", "Naskapi", and "Teremembe" could all be merged into "native" without changing gameplay. That was just skimming the list - compiling a complete list would take some effort in figuring out exactly what's being used and what isn't. But I'd guess the total number is around 20.
 

unmerged(17856)

General
Jun 26, 2003
2.473
0
Visit site
Jester said:
I support this Idea..lets merge all the empty areas into NAtive culture. I see no reason to have cultures using tags that are never playing any importance in the game.
good point. If doktarr was referring to empty provinces then I misinterpreted his suggestion. I'd also support a move to make provinces which are empty (excluding those which will be gaining tags) merged as 'native'. But we can always do this when there is a greater culture demand than cultures available; there is no need for it at the moment.

I'll post the suggestion in the first post.
 

bwyb00

Major
54 Badges
Mar 28, 2004
695
43
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
- I would like to see the Frisian culture disapear. I know it makes sense to keep it for "historic" reason, but if you want too play Netherlands in the AGC-EEP, as there is only a 1419 scenario, your only choice is to play Friesland or Gelderland, and the only thing you can do at the beginning for each one is to annex the other.
- For the same reason, Geldre should be Dutch right from the beginning and not German, so that Friesland (dutch) can annex it

- I am totally against a Lotharingian culture, but maybe you should explain a little more the idea behind this
 

unmerged(17856)

General
Jun 26, 2003
2.473
0
Visit site
Snin said:
Lotharingian? :)
Snin, can you create for us one of your handy EU2 maps that show everyone where you think Lotharingian culture should start (or develoup as you've advocated)? We could then comment and modify it to reach some kind of consensus on exactly where we'd like to see it. A visual tool would really help!

If not, no big deal. If so, post it in the Burgundian thread perhaps?
 

unmerged(9404)

Engineer
May 20, 2002
3.333
0
Visit site
bwyb00 said:
- I would like to see the Frisian culture disapear. I know it makes sense to keep it for "historic" reason, but if you want too play Netherlands in the AGC-EEP, as there is only a 1419 scenario, your only choice is to play Friesland or Gelderland, and the only thing you can do at the beginning for each one is to annex the other.

I agree on Frisian culture (even though I'm from there myself)

Its a one-province cultureand doesn't add much value to the game. The Dutch republic had no more difficulty ruling over Friesland than over other parts of the Netherlands.
 

unmerged(17856)

General
Jun 26, 2003
2.473
0
Visit site
thanks for the input Ironfoundersson, I've included bwyb00's suggestion in the list.

Mind you an event could always change the 'Frisian' culture to 'Dutch' culture, or the Netherlands could gain Frisian culture as a secondary state culture.
 

Norrefeldt

Porphyrogenitus
Aug 1, 2001
7.433
0
Visit site
doktarr said:
Actually, there are around 20 free culture tags, provided we are willing to merge cultures that no nation can ever have into "native" culture as needed. This has no impact on gameplay; the only time it can even be noticed is when you examine the culture of a trading post.
I think it would be a good idea. I hope we don't get too many split cultures in Europe when people notice there is room for more cultures.
 

Kennelly

Captain
45 Badges
May 6, 2003
306
0
Visit site
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • Ancient Space
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
ribbon22 said:
Hmm, well three NA nations are going back into AGCEEP; Huron, Iroquois and Cherokee. Currently, there are by last count 5 free culture tags. There are Huron and Iroquois culture tags and even Cherokee culture tags that are reserved for Huron, Iroquois and Cherokee that are currently not being used.

So why should Huron and Iroquois culture tags be merged? Well, they all spoke a different language which was unintelligeable to each other, but it is based off the same linguistic tree 'Iroquoian'. Second, archeologists group these nations into the same catagory as 'evolving' from the same migrant ppls with the same farming techniques and similar societal customs, tools, and buildings: 'Iroquoian'. Lastly, when Iroquois raided Hurons and Hurons raided Iroquois, they adopted members of each others tribes, they assimilated each other in a small scale over time during their long-standing mourning wars (picutre your basic celtic blood feud), and finally, with firearms (and the Hurons coked up on Catholicism mind you), the Iroquois mass assimilated the Hurons at the culmination of the Beaver Wars. There's no reason to have Huron and Iroquois as seperate culture tags. They must be merged. This saves at least one culture tag giving us 6 free culture tags. If you'd still like to protest this move, then do it in the North America thread

I'd like to try to keep this thread relatively clean. :D

Why do you think I want to protest this move?I supported this and enhanced this idea by suggesting to merge all native cultures in empty provinces,where they serve no gameplay purpose,what is EXACTLY now an official proposal.
I don't understand why you remind me to "keep this thread clean",when YOU suggest the same thing!And of course I was talking about empty provinces,why else would I have wanted to know which NA provinces won't be empty anymore?
 

Jester

El Jeffe De La Verca Del Fuego
64 Badges
Feb 26, 2001
1.165
0
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I auctually like the Frisian culture, the people of this area were fiercely independent and were even Semi-Autonomous from the Netherlands till like the early 1700s.

Speaking of splitting up Europe's culture. The biggest one that I feel is definitely needed is at least a 3-way German split. Upper, middle and lower.
This to me is like the #1 cultue split that is needed.

Late,
Jester