• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

0rth0d0xypr0xy

Second Lieutenant
24 Badges
Apr 25, 2021
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Playing the original game as I do enjoy seeing the original. I'm currently playing the Norman Count of Suffolk, Hugh de Monfort and wondered whether the original game had the cultural switch whereby over time the Normans gradually became English?

I'm running the Deus Vult mod which enabled friend/rivalry interface that One Proud Bavarian said wasn't in the original.

Just wanted to ask, as I honestly am not sure.

Playing the original game as I do enjoy seeing the original. I'm currently playing the Norman Count of Suffolk, Hugh de Monfort and wondered whether the original game had the cultural switch whereby over time the Normans gradually became English?

I'm running the Deus Vult mod which enabled friend/rivalry interface that One Proud Bavarian said wasn't in the original.

Deus Vult is not a mod.
It's an expansion.

If you want to play with an overhaul mod, then the probably standard to recommend is DVIP (Deus Vult Improvement Package).
Don't remember for sure how it works there.

Just wanted to ask, as I honestly am not sure.

There is the English Melting Pot event for it, wich changes the county culture.
That's it.

There is then a chance for newborn in an english county to become english.
If you get a wife who is english, the chance of the newborn to be english increases.

The year has to be 1090 or later and a norman or english owner/direct ruler of the province makes it more likely to happen.

Code:
#########################################
# The English melting pot                #
#########################################
province_event = {
    id = 1091

picture = "event_intrigue"

trigger = {
        condition = { type = year value = 1090 }
        condition = {
            type = or
            condition = { type = area value = 72 }#Sth England
            condition = { type = area value = 52 }#Nth England
        }
        condition = {
            type = or
            condition = { type = culture value = saxon }
            condition = { type = culture value = norman }
            condition = { type = culture value = norwegian }
            condition = { type = culture value = danish }
            condition = { type = culture value = welsh }
        }
    }

mean_time_to_happen = {
        months = 400

modifier = {
            condition = { type = ruler_culture value = saxon }
            factor = 1.5
        }
        modifier = {
            condition = { type = ruler_culture value = norman }
            factor = 0.8
        }
        modifier = {
            condition = { type = ruler_culture value = english }
            factor = 0.4
        }
    }

action_a = {
        effect = { type = culture value = english }
    }

}

Last edited:
Reactions:
My mistake, I just noticed in the game I'm using Saxons are simply Saxons - not Anglo-Saxon and wondered if the TASS mod was still available somewhere? It added extra fluff like Cornish which I really appreciated back in the day..

Thanks for that, I was following an AAR made by Slasher way back in 2006(!) and just wanted to ask if the character "Rainold de Baliol" was from the standard DV or was part of the DVIP? Cool, I'm guessing the cultural flip is present in both the base game, DV and the DVIP..

I've checked England's court + Scotland & France, but can't find the bugger anywhere! Perhaps they're spawned in, but notice the de Montfort's are courtiers in Normandy at the 1066 start.

Last edited:
My mistake, I just noticed in the game I'm using Saxons are simply Saxons - not Anglo-Saxon and wondered if the TASS mod was still available somewhere? It added extra fluff like Cornish which I really appreciated back in the day..

Thanks for that, I was following an AAR made by Slasher way back in 2006(!) and just wanted to ask if the character "Rainold de Baliol" was from the standard DV or was part of the DVIP? Cool, I'm guessing the cultural flip is present in both the base game, DV and the DVIP..

I've checked England's court + Scotland & France, but can't find the bugger anywhere! Perhaps they're spawned in, but notice the de Montfort's are courtiers in Normandy at the 1066 start.

1) TASS download
I can onyl higly recommend to always look at the last few pages of a mod thread and in the CK1 case as well in the discussion subforum threads
for a later update or upload by another one than the one who made the opening post. Here it was required, as the upload thread got closed.

2) Baliol
In vanilla and DVIP i only found a scottish female Baliol in the 1337 scenario.
So outside that it's random.

Code:
character = {
    id = { type = 10 id = 54992 }
    name = "Christine"
    gender = female
    dynasty = { type = 12 id = 103 }
    country = C095
    religion = Catholic
    culture = Scottish
    birthdate = { year = 1256 month = january day = 1 }
    deathdate = { year = 1324 month = january day = 1 }
    dna = "87039815249979"
    attributes = {
        martial = 8
        diplomacy = 7
        intrigue = 4
        stewardship = 5
        health = 8
        fertility = 8
    }
    traits = {
        reckless = yes
        flamboyant_schemer = yes
    }
}

You can find that info in the folders with Notepad++ and the Search - Find in Files option,
assuming you found the dynasty ID in db/dynasties.txt and use that for it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:

This is the AAR in question, thanks for doing the quick search for me. I'll take a look at the TASS files and see if said named character is there. On closer inspection, the AAR may have been modded to allow the family to start from 1066..

I'm aware in CK2 "Baliol" appears shortly after 1066, but was unaware if this was also the case for in CK1. I'm also conscious "de Baliol", "Balliol" ,"Baliol", "Balloil" may exist as variations..

This is the AAR in question, thanks for doing the quick search for me. I'll take a look at the TASS files and see if said named character is there. On closer inspection, the AAR may have been modded to allow the family to start from 1066..

Yup.

"I tweaked it a little and gave the Baliol's the county of Northumberland"
"The giving of the county is a tad unrealistic and I am not the greatest historian on the beginning period for this family as not much is really known about the little guys"

...directly form the top of the opening post seems to suggets this. ;)

Good looking AAR by the way.
Nice

I'm aware in CK2 "Baliol" appears shortly after 1066, but was unaware if this was also the case for in CK1. I'm also conscious "de Baliol", "Balliol" ,"Baliol", "Balloil" may exist as variations..

I only found the aforementioned "of Baliol" and no variations when searching the dynasties.txt file for "Bal" in vanilla and DVIP.

Last edited:
Yup.

"I tweaked it a little and gave the Baliol's the county of Northumberland"
"The giving of the county is a tad unrealistic and I am not the greatest historian on the beginning period for this family as not much is really known about the little guys"

...directly form the top of the opening post seems to suggets this. ;)

Good looking AAR by the way.
Nice

I only found the aforementioned "of Baliol" and no variations when searching the dynasties.txt file for "Bal" in vanilla and DVIP.
Hmm, is it straightforward enough to replicate this myself? I'm guessing as matrilineal marriage wasn't a thing in CK1, that sole female in the 1337 start won't cut it to forge a dynasty? Adding a Norman character into William's court seems easy enough, but I was always hesitant about installing TASS etc due to the risk of permanently doing damage to the game's files.

Thanks for providing me with the links. I'll follow the instructions given and proceed to make the necessary edits so I can replicate it myself. I just thought I'd ask though as in CK2 there's a Rainolf/Randolf Baliol who *always* crops up shortly after a 1066 game starts but is sadly much like Edgar Ætheling is unable to be playable in Iron Man mode.

Hmm, is it straightforward enough to replicate this myself? I'm guessing as matrilineal marriage wasn't a thing in CK1, that sole female in the 1337 start won't cut it to forge a dynasty? Adding a Norman character into William's court seems easy enough,

There is a marriage mod by which you can marry courtiers among another, but no matri-marry mod.

Adding a courtier or changing a character in a bookmark should indeed be relatively simple.
I'd suggest to copy the character, include it in the 1066 scenario file, change female to male and dates to your liking and voila,
a male of that name in whatever county C095 is in the bookmark for 1066.
Make a copy of your game folder for modding.

but I was always hesitant about installing TASS etc due to the risk of permanently doing damage to the game's files.

How to use mods in CK1 :
Copy game folder, paste it (as you like move somewhere else or simply rename original folder temporarily beforehand after copying, rename copy, then rename back original), then copy TASS over the copied folder. Potentially create new seperate shortcut.
Then use that for TASS.

PS: When you only modifiy single files you can also keep original files as renamed version inside a game folder.
CK1 doesn't get confused by that. I usually simply add a _1 or so to the file name.
I'd still recommend to keep one normal game folder untouched.

Thanks for providing me with the links. I'll follow the instructions given and proceed to make the necessary edits so I can replicate it myself.

Errr...i only provided the download link, but i take a "thank you" any day and won't complain. ;)

Last edited:
....a male of that name in whatever county C095 is in the bookmark for 1066....

Apprently it's Amiens in France.

db/province.csv
95;PROV95;Amiens;France

Last edited:
Apprently it's Amiens in France.
db/province.csv
95;PROV95;Amiens;France
I'm getting to grips with CK1 again and don't believe you can "invite courtiers" as you can in later games. Ideally I'd start as England and grant Northumberland to the character.

I do appreciate you answering my queries and with that in mind will check the database of names to see if a random courtier will appear with a variation of "de Baliol" and can do this without having to manually create said character. As for the guide, thanks for providing me with a working link and talking me through solutions to create my desired gameplay.

Definitely downloading TASS. The AAR inspired me to give it a run, despite being created in 2006 - I'm so glad that the OG CK community is still active now the format has become a trilogy.

I'm getting to grips with CK1 again and don't believe you can "invite courtiers" as you can in later games. Ideally I'd start as England and grant Northumberland to the character.

I do appreciate you answering my queries and with that in mind will check the database of names to see if a random courtier will appear with a variation of "de Baliol" and can do this without having to manually create said character. As for the guide, thanks for providing me with a working link and talking me through solutions to create my desired gameplay.

Definitely downloading TASS. The AAR inspired me to give it a run, despite being created in 2006 - I'm so glad that the OG CK community is still active now the format has become a trilogy.

What you can do easily, is to start a campaign, save, and then edit the save file.
Either by renaming an existing landed lord or a courtier.

Finding a ruler is easier than a courtier :
1) You find out the province ID number.
Either by looking into db/provinces or config/province_names.csv
or in-game by using the console command 'showid'
(open and close console with F12, moving the mouse over the province the ID will display bottom right).
2) Search the save file for 'capital = provID', then..
3) copy the number at 'ruler = characterID'
4) and search for 'id = characterID'.

Courtier search :
You can also search for 'tag = C +provID', which provides you all characters at the court with that iD, including the ruler,
but that can be tiresome and can cause problems if the historical character list is big and you don't know the dynasty number
and additiionaly instead of a provID the tag might use a title ID, like DENM for Denmark, instead of C265 for the court at Fyn.
See also post below.

Then...
you might have to change the dynasty (Beliol is 103, as in earlier example), the first name, gender
and maybe the attributes (numbers are in that order = Martial, Diplomacy, Intrigue, Stewardship, Fertility, Health)
and date of birth if the character is too old (don't worry about the parents age) or whatever you like.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I could do it for you and then you can play it and try to replicate what i suggested.

edit:
Nevermind what i had written before the edit, but there is a similar case :

When searching for courtiers with tag = , then the tag can sometimes not a be number, but a title abbreviation/titleID.
You find that by searching for capital = provID, as for the ruler.
In that block there will be at the top the specifically used tag = titleID or provID .

Last edited: