• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FerinRosca

Recruit
May 17, 2020
For some reason today I have been having an issue where my game crashes to the desktop whenever I select the Water Extractor from the build menu. I've also seen it happen when an unfinished extractor is being built. I have tried re-installing my game, turning off all my mods, and it still happens. I have been able to play this normally for the past few days so I'm not sure what's happening.

Upvote 0
Disabling mods does not remove effects they have already had on a save game file.

Do you get this problem in a game where no mods have ever been used?

In your OP yo said this happened 'today' - so you'd been able to do this before okay on the same machine?

If so was there a driver, Windows or other update between times that might have caused it?

In any case What I'd suggest is a full clean reinstall of the game:

- move any valued save games elsewhere; they are under
C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\{large number}\
- "uninstall" in Steam-Surviving Mars
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Surviving Mars AND C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\ folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add MarsSteam.exe to the exceptions list/whitelist of your antivirus app
- start the game with no mods active and test with a new colony, NOT with any existing save

In particular you need to make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam SM or AppData SM locations, before installing again.

If it still happens Please attach here the latest (ONLY!) game log file, from here:
C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\logs\
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

Plus, DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

In your OP yo said this happened 'today' - so you'd been able to do this before okay on the same machine?

If so was there a driver, Windows or other update between times that might have caused it?

In any case What I'd suggest is a full clean reinstall of the game:

- move any valued save games elsewhere; they are under
C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\{large number}\
- "uninstall" in Steam-Surviving Mars
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Surviving Mars AND C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\ folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add MarsSteam.exe to the exceptions list/whitelist of your antivirus app
- start the game with no mods active and test with a new colony, NOT with any existing save

In particular you need to make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam SM or AppData SM locations, before installing again.

If it still happens Please attach here the latest (ONLY!) game log file, from here:
C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Surviving Mars\logs\
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

Plus, DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

I will give this a try, the last time it happened was when I was a few hours into the game. So IF/WHEN it happens again I will send the logs.