• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oct 14, 2001
webs.ono.com
OK, I use to have some crashes DURING the game, but now that I have changed some shield pictures it crashes even before starting the game! It goes well through the videos and the first menu, then I choose a saved game, or any scenario, and then it goes "initializing provinces, reading scenario..." CRASH!!! I have NOT changed any scenario file, just the shield pictures, and I have done this according to the guidelines provided in the "flags, shields, etc" forum (and the results are good). Seems many people do this and I haven't heard them of any problems with it, so I definitely don't know what could be happening. Changed the AVI folder to AVI_back too, same thing happens.

EU2 info: 1.07 North American ORIGINAL

System info: AMD Duron 700mhz, 256mb RAM, 8gb free on HD

Windows info: XP professional SP1

Video info: nVidia riva TNT2 64, driver version 44.03 (updating drivers right now)

Sound info: SoundBlaster Live!, driver version unknown

DirectX 9.0b

Think that's all the info you request in the sticky. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Obviously something happened with the editing, perhaps a syntax error was introduced, I have no way of knowing.

Let me move this to the Scenario forum and see if more expriance modders and graphic guys can offer any suggestions of what may have gone wrong.

The only work around otherwise is to do a fresh install which will remove the changes you made.
*moved

Hmmm

I had the same problem! Since I use the GUFSM, it works again.

That is bizarre!
I know that 24-bit graphics is the highest the game will use (I think that is correct). Was your new graphics above this?

Did you have the TAG correct? (Hmm, a bit patronising I know)

I have never heard of CTD with shield graphics before, you learn something new everyday:eek:

yours, graphically inept
Ayeshteni

let's see

Thanks to all

Leprechaun, I have downloaded GUFSM, seems pretty accurate, I'm giving it a try in a minute.

Ayeshteni, as far as I know, the images I made were all 24bit, but you know, when I got into it and began to make them faster and faster, maybe some error could happen (some 16bit image or something). I have made a 24bit Aragon image right now, changed it, and the game doesn't crash. Maybe is just a matter of handling it with care. What do you mean the TAG was correct?

Wryun and Kaigon, same thing as to Ayeshteni. I think they were 24bit, but who knows.

Anyways now I've made a backup of the originals, just in case...

BTW, the Aragon image I made was based on this:
40406.JPG

It's solved

The problem was that Photoshop was saving the small shield pictures as 32 bites.

Well, definitely don't use 16 nor 32 bites bmp's and, if you are using Mad King James' excellent templates (as I am), beware of the small shield pictures and tell Photoshop to save them as 24 bits!

Again thanks everyone