• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fürstbischof

General
17 Badges
Jan 25, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 200k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
While testing the appearance of pop-up messages I've encountered an ancient display bug:

If a peace deal between two ai countries happens and you have set under Ingame Messages the message properties of "When a nation accepts peace with another nation" to "Display this type of message in a message box" a CTD will happen. The bug depends upon the number of provinces which the defeated country (UK) cedes to the victor (Germany). Thanks to the history.txt file in the game directory I can tell so far that the ceding of 35 (or more) provinces leads to a CTD. (maybe even less).

Luckily this nasty bug can be circumvented, if you have set its message properties to "Display this type of message in the game log". Then the results of the peace deal will be properly listed in the game log and the game continues without a CTD. :)

Did some more tests by using different map modes:
Terrain : game freezes, CTD after 20 seconds
Political : immediate CTD
Economic : game freezes, CTD after 20 seconds
Infrastructure : game freezes, CTD after 20 seconds
Revoltrisk : immediate CTD
Diplomatic : game freezes, CTD after 20 seconds

I've tried to fix the bug by increasing the size of the dip_confirmpopup.bmp file but to no avail. The actual size of the background of the pop-up seems unrelated to the bug. I have seen a peace resolution which gave 14 provinces to the victor. (keep in mind, that I've revised this pop-up to list each demand/ceded province in its own line) There should have been more than enough space for 30+ ceded provinces.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
A CTD was also reported by some players, who had been offered huge peace deals, which they had accepted:

(2004) Crash to Desktop Playing Prussia
(2004) CTD while saving/accepting large peace offers

When I got an offer of 39 provinces I accepted it: game freezes, CTD after 20 seconds

The text of the pop-up was ok so the cause of the bug seems related to the number of ceded provinces.

To avoid this bug you'd make your own demands which - ofc! - should be less ambitous...;)

• 1Like
Reactions: