• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sure, but the save was made on an installation with an invalid checksum. I simply can't log a bug under those conditions, sorry all. If it can at all be reproduced on a valid installation I'd be happy to add this to the other reports of problematic saves.

Sure, but the save was made on an installation with an invalid checksum. I simply can't log a bug under those conditions, sorry all. If it can at all be reproduced on a valid installation I'd be happy to add this to the other reports of problematic saves.

See the post directly above you:

Also, I have the correct checksum, and it crashes on my computer as well.

The crash is replicable with someone who has the correct checksum.

If I were to un-alter my files, would the checksum revert to original? It is easily done; but, as I said, Maginor has the correct checksum and has the same crash.

I unaltered my files, still had a different checksum (was different altogether from anything I've seen before, it began with a D) I loaded the game back up to see if I could see what checksum it was, and it had changed again! It is now GPMM.

I don't even understand checksums...

Seeing as this is clearly happening regardless of checksum however - as maginor has the same problem with normal checksum - it would be nice if this could be verified as a rather serious bug, or in the very least someone explain why this is happening...

The fact that Maginor's checksum was correct when he loaded your flawed save game is not relevant. That game was created and saved under your incorrect checksum and so is suspect in and of itself.

The checksum ensures that all game data files are as intended - neither corrupt nor edited. The main purpose is to allow MP players to ensure they have the identical version of the game, and are not cheating, but it's a handy indicator of general game installation health. The fact yours keeps changing is likely the cause of your problems and we need to fix that.

Not sure if you have the game from Steam or Gamersgate. I suggest you move any valued save games elsewhere and uninstall the game, and then manually delete both the game code directory, and the data directories under your MyDocuments folder. Then reinstall from scratch (if GG then install the 1.03b patch manually), and make sure you now get the right checksum consistently.

The fact that Maginor's checksum was correct when he loaded your flawed save game is not relevant. That game was created and saved under your incorrect checksum and so is suspect in and of itself.

The checksum ensures that all game data files are as intended - neither corrupt nor edited. The main purpose is to allow MP players to ensure they have the identical version of the game, and are not cheating, but it's a handy indicator of general game installation health. The fact yours keeps changing is likely the cause of your problems and we need to fix that.

Not sure if you have the game from Steam or Gamersgate. I suggest you move any valued save games elsewhere and uninstall the game, and then manually delete both the game code directory, and the data directories under your MyDocuments folder. Then reinstall from scratch (if GG then install the 1.03b patch manually), and make sure you now get the right checksum consistently.

Ah, I see.

I wonder what else could have altered my checksum? I have the game currently unaltered, yet the Checksum is still incorrect: SPMM at the moment. I have already done a re-install, but I have not deleted the game code directory nor the data directories. Firstly, where would the game code directory be located? Secondly, I'm assuming the data directories folder is the "Paradox Interactive" one in My Documents, which contains my save files, settings and other things?

It is off of GG, by the way.

The game code directory is wherever the GamersGate installer, possibly altered by you, put it, I would assume the installer asks you where you'd like to install the game? There. It is where ck2.exe ends up, plus all the graphics and game data sit.

Yes, the data directories are where you mention. Actually data directories is an incorrect term, I should have said user file directories - it's where anything the game writes out goes (this is to get around the Vista/Win7 Virtual Store stuff that makes supporting EU3 so painful).

The game code directory is wherever the GamersGate installer, possibly altered by you, put it, I would assume the installer asks you where you'd like to install the game? There. It is where ck2.exe ends up, plus all the graphics and game data sit.

Yes, the data directories are where you mention. Actually data directories is an incorrect term, I should have said user file directories - it's where anything the game writes out goes (this is to get around the Vista/Win7 Virtual Store stuff that makes supporting EU3 so painful).

Alright then, to clarify; I need to do uninstall, then delete both the user file directories in My Documents, and then also delete any trace of the game present in my install location - my case, my program files (x86) folder. Then, clean install and move my save games back.

Sam,

After the clean install you'll need to apply the 1.03b patch, and make 100% sure you point it to the place the game itself installed (so that the patch overwrites the older files in the GG download). Run the game up and check you have the right checksum now.

After the clean install you'll need to apply the 1.03b patch, and make 100% sure you point it to the place the game itself installed (so that the patch overwrites the older files in the GG download). Run the game up and check you have the right checksum now.

Doing it now; however, one interesting thing: this C++ Redistributable Maintenance thing runs, asking me if I want to repair to original state, or remove entirely. I assume to repair to original state?

Sam,

Alright, all done. After a totally new and clean install, having deleted all files pertaining to the game (except for 2 save games I preserved seperatly) I loaded it up. I had the checksum of KUMH, which I think is the right one? I then added my save games to the save game folder (had to create a new game so as to make the save game folder of course), loaded up the game, and it still said KUMH.

Awesome, right? Then, loaded up my save, and lo and behold, by the 16th of August 1299 (not even 3 weeks ingame was allowed to pass) the game crashed, just as it always did.

Would that be enough for it to be considered a bug?

Sam,

This might sound weird but my girlfriend and I ran into this in our MP game, at a certain date the game started crashing, one of us would drop and then sadness would ensue. However as a result of us doing it MP,the person who stayed in game continued past the "death date" when whatever caused the crash had happened. So we loaded like a couple days later and problem solved!

Awesome, right? Then, loaded up my save, and lo and behold, by the 16th of August 1299 (not even 3 weeks ingame was allowed to pass) the game crashed, just as it always did.

Would that be enough for it to be considered a bug?

I guess not

Meanwhile i really feel sorry for AndrewT i must say :)...cause he explained it in detail but you simply don't want to understand.

Your savegame is from a different checksum or ? (then it can't be considered as a bug)
- or was it a totally fresh game you saved ? - then it could be a bug - but i must say 1299 does not look as if it was a fresh game)

Last edited:
I guess not

Meanwhile i really feel sorry for AndrewT i must say :)...cause he explained it in detail but you simply don't want to understand.

Your savegame is from a different checksum or ? (then it can't be considered as a bug)
- or was it a totally fresh game you saved ? - then it could be a bug - but i must say 1299 does not look as if it was a fresh game)

The original game was created from a normal checksum of KUMH, yes. However, it started altering wildly; even now, with my fresh install, the checksum keeps changing without me doing anything at all playing on a different save entirely.

I do apologise if I'm displaying myself as ignorant or testy, it's just that it's becoming quite annoying. It can't be reported as a bug because my checksum changed? Why? Because I altered files? The checksum had changed quite a few times before that, and is still changing every time I load up the game, regardless of the fact that I have not altered anything at all.

Even if I had changed anything, why is it that horrendous crashes can't be considerd a bug if a file is altered? Isn't that the joy of this game, the modding? Because I alter one value in the opinion_modifier file, it starts crashing a century later?

Surely the problem is with the game and not with my altering, in this case?

PS: I do apologise if I've pissed anyone off with my short answers or remarks, no malice is intended. It's just rather buggering annoying, really...

Even if I had changed anything, why is it that horrendous crashes can't be considerd a bug if a file is altered? Isn't that the joy of this game, the modding? Because I alter one value in the opinion_modifier file, it starts crashing a century later?

Another remark :

I do understand to less of programming as i could give a statement if changing this opinion_modifier could lead to a crash. (it normally should not lead to crash)

But you can't await that they take their time in searching for bugs or savegames that are modded...there are millions of possibilities to alter the game.
As a programmer you can't simply look at all these.

The original game was created from a normal checksum of KUMH, yes. However, it started altering wildly; even now, with my fresh install, the checksum keeps changing without me doing anything at all playing on a different save entirely.
It is normal that the checksum changes by one letter (say KUMH -> JUMH), when you resign from a game but do not exit the program. This is to force MP players to restart the whole game when they drop out, which aids stability. This is entirely unrelated to the random ones you were getting; if you are still getting anything except KUMH on game startup, you have a severe PC problem I believe.
It is always possible to crash a game by modding badly, Paradox cannot write a game that does not crash despite being fed bad data. Not that I'm saying this issue is certainly caused by your modding, but that does render your particular game unreportable. If your problem is actually the same as the others reporting such issues here on unmodded games such as this one, then the root cause will be fixed when that issue is dealt with. We cannot however guarantee that saves that are now broken will then be playable, it depends on the nature of the problem.

It is normal that the checksum changes by one letter (say KUMH -> JUMH), when you resign from a game but do not exit the program. This is to force MP players to restart the whole game when they drop out, which aids stability. This is entirely unrelated to the random ones you were getting; if you are still getting anything except KUMH on game startup, you have a severe PC problem I believe.

It is always possible to crash a game by modding badly, Paradox cannot write a game that does not crash despite being fed bad data. Not that I'm saying this issue is certainly caused by your modding, but that does render your particular game unreportable. If your problem is actually the same as the others reporting such issues here on unmodded games such as this one, then the root cause will be fixed when that issue is dealt with. We cannot however guarantee that saves that are now broken will then be playable, it depends on the nature of the problem.

Ah, I did not know that it changed one letter on resigning, that has been occuring and I didn't realize that it was there as a feature. On startup I am now normal KUMH, and a game I have as Habsburgs if fine, but it's only a few decades in. The other save file will still crash.

It looks like this save game is rather screwed, it seems...

Any idea at all why it would suddenly happen? Obviously rather hard to tell, but I wonder why it would just suddenly start doing this.

Well as I said, there does appear to be a bug or bugs that cause problems with saves crashing the game. Until the devs come up with a cause and a fix we can't be any more specific, sorry.

Well as I said, there does appear to be a bug or bugs that cause problems with saves crashing the game. Until the devs come up with a cause and a fix we can't be any more specific, sorry.

... Well then. That's too bad! Thanks for all your help anyway!