Crusader Kings III: Starter Edition

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PDX-Trinexx

Community Manager
Administrator
Paradox Staff
101 Badges
Jan 31, 2022
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka 2
  • Magicka
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Empire of Sin
  • Stellaris: Federations
Hello, everyone!

We have an important update to share today for people looking to get into Crusader Kings III for the first time: we're retiring the old Royal Edition and replacing it with a new Starter Edition for our game. This new edition is designed to offer a comprehensive and value-packed entry point for new players, ensuring access to the best of what Crusader Kings III has to offer from the get-go.

Included with Crusader Kings III: Starter Edition
  • Crusader Kings III Base Game: Whether you start as a lowly count or a mighty emperor, no throne is safe as you compete for power against thousands of other nobles for prestige and dominance. Write your own histories, with a wide range of personality types, ambitions, and cultural preferences. Play as a haughty duke, a pious prince, or a cunning queen, and then play as their heir as the wheel of time grinds on.
  • Tours and Tournaments: Host thrilling tournaments, grand feasts and splendid weddings to bolster your prestige or win new honors for your dynasty. Travel to distant lands on pilgrimage or inspect your vassals on a grand tour of your realm - whether to extort taxes or bolster loyalty.
  • Friends and Foes: Deepen your relationships with those around you, forming lasting friendships with childhood companions, bitter rivalries with distant foes or eternal love with a beauty of your choosing.
  • Garments of the Holy Roman Empire: Immerse yourself in the Holy Roman Empire with a collection of outfits for both commoners, warriors and rulers of Central Europe.
  • Elegance of the Empire: Based on the garments and regalia of Emperor Henry II and the Empress Cunigunde, this pack includes not only new robes and dresses, but historically appropriate crowns and other items.
  • Fashion of the Abbasid Court: Give your court a dashing new look with a set of outfits and cosmetic clothing options for the Middle East and North Africa.

Thank you for your support, and we look forward to welcoming new players into our community!

• 8Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Slightly confused why this doesn't include Royal Court - wasn't that the first expansion?
Because Royal Court is not a really good showcase compared to Tours and Tournaments (Being one of the weakest DLC together with Northern Lords). I am more surprised that Fate of Iberia is not part of it.

That is my opinion at least.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Because Royal Court is not a really good showcase compared to Tours and Tournaments (Being one of the weakest DLC together with Northern Lords). I am more surprised that Fate of Iberia is not part of it.

I understand why they would leave out regional flavour packs.

• 3Like
Reactions:

Remember that this is a starter edition. The idea is to help new players get into the game. If you buy this and you like it then you can see about region packs like Fate of Iberia or Legacy of Persia :)

Reactions:
this is really good, to introduce something for the people, who are on the fence or still hasn't started. throwing the free stuff that is hassle to get for them.
Helps them a lot in deciding if they want to start the game or not.

Before people complain what about our needs, who already purchased everything.
Without new players or new consumers, the project will be more stale.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Frankly, I would have left behind Friends and Foes, which is a horrible, horrible DLC with annoying events and the worst mechanic in the game, House Feuds, and include Wards and Wardens.

Everyone has kids and takes care of them, but the friends and foes additions are just so, so bad...

Also, it feels pretty bad to include the clothing DLCs in there.
It's pure padding.
Starter Edition is the base game + 1 expansion.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I think the reason they included Friends and Foe, is cause everybody who purchased it, including me think it is the worst of all the DLC.
So might as well give it to starting players, instead of them having to pay out 5 more to complete the serie.

The reason most of the clothings are included, is cause completionist attitude of the next generation steam users.
To them it is ALL or Nothing, so if they like something they want it ALL, or they will just skip it.
It is a issue that is still being investigated, but funny enough it means exclusive Pre Order bonus are soon a thing of the past.

• 2Like
Reactions:
My ranking of the DLCs does have T&T at top, but F&F is at the bottom. W&W would be better for a starter.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very nice! It appears the discounting doesn't work as intended - steam would still make me pay for the base game which I already have.
1712175505392.png

Reactions:
The reason most of the clothings are included, is cause completionist attitude of the next generation steam users.
Aren't they just free?
Aren't they exclusive to buying the yearly chapter, but go free for everyone after a year?
What's the point of adding something's already free?
I might be wrong though.
I'd still think that adding cosmetics is bonkers, but I'd be wrong about the free part.

I think the reason they included Friends and Foe, is cause everybody who purchased it, including me think it is the worst of all the DLC.
So might as well give it to starting players, instead of them having to pay out 5 more to complete the serie.
''This is so bad we need to bundle it with other stuff or otherwise we'll never sell it''.
Not my choice for something to put on a starter pack.
I'd like to hear their ice breaking lines, ''Hello, I have halitosis. But don't worry, I fart all the time so people can't notice it''.
Points for honesty, I guess.
I like Friends and Foes, never understood the hate it gets.
I got a message that a guy half across the continent was now my rival. Not just rival, nemesis!

No idea who he was, so I go to him, check his record thingy. Apparently one of my nephews, who's roaming the world, slept with his wife. And made him hate him. And start a house feud, which makes me, house head, his rival and nemesis.

I got 2 sisters killed and a few nephews killed. I couldn't retaliate because my character was Honest and Just, so starting an assassination gave me ~70 Stress.
I even managed to end the rivalry... except it immediately got reignited cause we were still in a House Feud.
Also, pretty stupid, but when my sister got killed and no one knew why, I got a message to retaliate. I thought her death was a mystery! Now you're telling me I know it was him?!

I really hate this DLC.
I honestly believe the game is better without it.
The house feud system is awful. If at least they allowed you to do something interesting with it, like ending it with a marriage or being able to humiliate your rivals through tourneys/feasts/money spending/prestige or something I could see some value.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Aren't they just free?
Aren't they exclusive to buying the yearly chapter, but go free for everyone after a year?
What's the point of adding something's already free?
I might be wrong though.
I'd still think that adding cosmetics is bonkers, but I'd be wrong about the free part.

''This is so bad we need to bundle it with other stuff or otherwise we'll never sell it''.
Not my choice for something to put on a starter pack.
I'd like to hear their ice breaking lines, ''Hello, I have halitosis. But don't worry, I fart all the time so people can't notice it''.
Points for honesty, I guess.

I got a message that a guy half across the continent was now my rival. Not just rival, nemesis!

No idea who he was, so I go to him, check his record thingy. Apparently one of my nephews, who's roaming the world, slept with his wife. And made him hate him. And start a house feud, which makes me, house head, his rival and nemesis.

I got 2 sisters killed and a few nephews killed. I couldn't retaliate because my character was Honest and Just, so starting an assassination gave me ~70 Stress.
I even managed to end the rivalry... except it immediately got reignited cause we were still in a House Feud.
Also, pretty stupid, but when my sister got killed and no one knew why, I got a message to retaliate. I thought her death was a mystery! Now you're telling me I know it was him?!

I really hate this DLC.
I honestly believe the game is better without it.
The house feud system is awful. If at least they allowed you to do something interesting with it, like ending it with a marriage or being able to humiliate your rivals through tourneys/feasts/money spending/prestige or something I could see some value.

You think adding Cosmetics is Bonkers... that is your opinion, but then why release CK3 in full 3D?
Oh...... so why did you bother upgrading from CK2?
Yes they are free but the system isn't working as intended, cause somehow if people collect the full set, they still have to buy something else to get it for free.
And it is a issue that should be solved, for consumers who wants to vote with their wallet, or new comer who just became of age that they can purchase something on their own. (do remember not everybody was a adult when CK3 released or played CK2)

The second and third point is a fact, but that is cause everybody and their aunt was screaming a meme more EVENTS will solve everything.
Forgetting the main point of events are tied to mechanics. but it is tied to rivalry. it is but a broken rivalry, in fact cause of the AI being so ...lets keep it civil meh.
I have never ever lost a rivalry, before the AI pleads for mercy, at least I can totally eliminate the rival dynasty to the bone.
Then 1-2 years later another rivalry pop ups for no reason. and me think yeah ok what for? that is in 1.81
In 1.92 I luckily didn't see those random rivalries anymore, or at least until I instigate it. so that was fixed.

So I do agree with you Friends and Foe was terrible especially in 1.81 (the period where I started playing CK3 and dropped CK2 )

Sadly we still go by the somebody created "moral" value, killing in video games is good, total humiliation like AGOT isn't really allowed. that is something that will not change for a while.
So don't blame me, it is simply the way social media and community works, and things might change in the future, cause like everything in geo politics.
Everything isn't set in stone.

Reactions:
You think adding Cosmetics is Bonkers.... that is your opinion, but then why release CK3 in full 3D?
Oh...... so why did you bother upgrading from CK2?
That's not what I said.
In fact, I've re-read what I wrote and I can't understand how you came up with that.

I'm saying ''Adding free cosmetics to a bundle only makes it look bigger, but it doesn't actually make it bigger''.
Because they are free. They are already there.
It's the equivalent of saying ''Buy an ice cream cone and get the cone free! FREE!''. You don't need to add that, it was already free with the ice cream cone.

I double checked and I'm a bit confused. Stuff like ''Garments of the HRE'' released with the game, but in Steam it says it launched in 2023?
So I guess it was a preorder exlcusive, then it was paid, then it was free if you owned everything else and now is bound to the starter edition?
I don't know, it's not really relevant.

The second and third point is a fact, but that is cause everybody and their aunt was screaming a meme more EVENTS will solve everything.
What? No! Who? When? What?
We WANT, even today, more events. Are you saying ''It's ok if events are bad, because people wanted more events''? Is that a justification?

killing in video games is good, total humiliation like AGOT isn't really allowed.
I live in a medieval city. House feuds were frequent and would last for decades until the king intervened. But instead of killing each other, the families would one up each other, building palaces, expanding the existing ones, building towers, hosting parties, etc.
That's not a thing in CK3.
I wish it was, because the current system is baaaaad. That's what I'm saying.

Sadly we still go by the somebody created "moral" value, killing in video games is good, total humiliation like AGOT isn't really allowed. that is something that will not change for a while.
So don't blame me, it is simply the way social media and community works, and things might change in the future, cause like everything in geo politics.
Everything isn't set in stone.
I'm sorry, I'm going to stop here.
I admit I don't understand what point you're trying to make and I'm feeling lost.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I'd have made it the base game, RC and T&T - leave out the (apparently controversial) event pack and the graphical DLC padding.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd have made it the base game, RC and T&T - leave out the (apparently controversial) event pack and the graphical DLC padding.
And it’d be the same price with less. Come on. There’s no harm in some cosmetic packs being tossed in, and I think F&F hate is overblownx. It’s a good deal, I don’t know why anyone is arguing about the inclusion of cosmetics, because it was a good deal without them too.

Even if it were just the base game and T&T you’d be saving money.

Reactions:
And it’d be the same price with less. Come on. There’s no harm in some cosmetic packs being tossed in, and I think F&F hate is overblownx. It’s a good deal, I don’t know why anyone is arguing about the inclusion of cosmetics, because it was a good deal without them too.

Even if it were just the base game and T&T you’d be saving money.
Less?

We're talking about cosmetics and event spam.

Less?

We're talking about cosmetics and event spam.
F&F has some genuinely good event chains. While I have criticism of how events are currently implemented, dismissing even good examples of them as “spam” suggests you’re playing the wrong game. The game has events. Get over it. The more different events it has the less repetitive and spammy they feel. It’s good for them to be included.

Starter edition is $65. You’re already getting T&T at 50% off. The event pack and the cosmetics aren’t inflating the price at all.

F&F has some genuinely good event chains. While I have criticism of how events are currently implemented, dismissing even good examples of them as “spam” suggests you’re playing the wrong game. The game has events. Get over it. The more different events it has the less repetitive and spammy they feel. It’s good for them to be included.

Starter edition is $65. You’re already getting T&T at 50% off. The event pack and the cosmetics aren’t inflating the price at all.
I'm not sure why you've adopted such a defensive posture. We're only discussing the content of the pack - I just happen to think the two main expansions would have made more sense than an event pack and some cosmetics.