• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can someone explain how Tanistry works?
It's pretty convoluted -- basically, your children can inherit, but only if they're female and a prime number (in order of birth). Failing that, a random bishop within your realm will inherit, and again failing that (for example, if you hold all bishop titles personally), a random courtier.

Presumably if there are no courtiers, the game just crashes. I guess we'll see Monday.

It's pretty convoluted -- basically, your children can inherit, but only if they're female and a prime number (in order of birth). Failing that, a random bishop within your realm will inherit, and again failing that (for example, if you hold all bishop titles personally), a random courtier.

Presumably if there are no courtiers, the game just crashes. I guess we'll see Monday.

If it weren't for Wikipedia I would probably believe you.

That made me chuckle

So I'm taking it the patch doesn't include a means to shift holdings to another type. So high slot counties stacked with castles and churches will remain junk.

I thought it was pretty clear that this was an easy change that desperately needed to be made. I expected it in the patch.

Disappointing.

This.

However, there is enough good points coming through here that I will still be very pleased. I am also still buying the DLC because it's a hundred kinds of awesome. But still... that. ^

Yeah, so it will be interesting to see how they will prevent it from being the by far best succession method in the game.
the fact that you'll have difficulty overcoming the short reign bonus and that your rulers are all old is liability enough

Well, that is true for seniority too so tanistry might be better than seniorty.

Historically it's bonuses were that it usually got the best candidate, it never picked a simpleton, or someone underage, or crazy. The issue was that it did not restrict who could become king, unlike primogeniture, so there could literally be hundreds of claimants to a title so internecine warfare was commonplace. Succession almost never passed peacefully. Perhaps, tanistry could impact on the faction system in a similar way in the game.

Well, dude, you should definitely get yourself a shiny new Corleone AAR on Monday, judging by your talents. Might also wish to give the first Corleone "Tesfaye" for a first name as a bonus.

Or -- more realistically, given the time period -- Latin. So what if the Orthodox and Muslim regions complain? Deal with it. :p

Besides, Londinium just sounds so much better.

I used to dream about making a custom Latin version of the game (including bad mediaeval Latin, such as modern sentence orders), but looking up the names for every single holding would be an impossible pain. But seeing marriage and peace proposals in Latin would be priceless. "Ad honorabilem regem X. Pax tecum. Matrimonium commendamus inter," "submittimus sub conditionibus infrascriptis," and so on. Or the moment when "Reginaldus Princeps Antiochenus" pops up (Reynald de Châtillon).

Anyway, this may've been said already but my memory is leaking. Will Pisa and Genoa get upped to full six holding slots besides the capital?

Last edited:
it's pretty convoluted -- basically, your children can inherit, but only if they're female and a prime number (in order of birth). Failing that, a random bishop within your realm will inherit, and again failing that (for example, if you hold all bishop titles personally), a random c:dourtier.

Presumably if there are no courtiers, the game just crashes. I guess we'll see monday.

:rofl:

Those dang medievalians and their obsession with prime numbers!

It is mostly a filthy misappropriation of the public penny for your own selfish re-election needs.

The AI will act as if the public holdings are its own for as long as it rules the Republic.

It should have been (already is?) possible for normal patricians to upgrade public holdings as well. Doing so would give them prestige or respect (for next doge elections).

I don't know about medieval republics, but historically in roman times, rich senatorial families were expected to help out on public works by spending out of their own pocket. This will also offset the fact that AI treats public holdings as its own while a human may not do so, depending on circumstances...

Other patricians will contribute through taxes.

Speaking of which, if you put the burgher tax rate to a maximum as Doge, you might regret it when you then become a vassal of the next Doge and have to pay those taxes ^^

Being elected out of power periodically will really change the way you approach the game, I'm eager to try it.

Though I'm afraid there will be the temptation to just assassinate any serious competitor in the elections. I hope there will be a harsh penalty if you're caught trying to do that, even if you're the Doge and thus cannot be imprisoned (like any member of your family losing respect and any chance to win the next elections, or even a general revolt).

Other patricians will contribute through taxes.

Speaking of which, if you put the burgher tax rate to a maximum as Doge, you might regret it when you then become a vassal of the next Doge and have to pay those taxes ^^

Being elected out of power periodically will really change the way you approach the game, I'm eager to try it.

Though I'm afraid there will be the temptation to just assassinate any serious competitor in the elections. I hope there will be a harsh penalty if you're caught trying to do that, even if you're the Doge and thus cannot be imprisoned (like any member of your family losing respect and any chance to win the next elections, or even a general revolt).

Imagine this would easily lead to a family feud. Too bad for you, when you eventually and inevitably will be voted out and the very family which members you have killed comes to power. You may regret being so murderous before... I am eagerly waiting!

As the leader of a Patrician family, you have somewhat less control than a feudal noble would over who the male members of your dynasty marry. New events can see them marrying anything from a bar wench to the daughter of a wealthy merchant.

Could we please get something like that for feudal families too? Having all kids marry whomever their dad chooses without a hitch can get kinda boring. It'd be fun if every once in a while your teenaged heir runs off with a lowborn courtier, ruining your carefully arranged betrothal in the process. Just ask Robb Stark!

Could we please get something like that for feudal families too? Having all kids marry whomever their dad chooses without a hitch can get kinda boring. It'd be fun if every once in a while your teenaged heir runs off with a lowborn courtier, ruining your carefully arranged betrothal in the process. Just ask Robb Stark!

Yep. Even Medieval 2 Total War had an event for elopement. Your daughter (princess agent) could run away with a lover and marry him. It's weird that CK2 hasn't one. I doubt that king's daughters or sons could marry without your planning or consent but it should be very possible on count-level, if not common.