• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No measures to domesticate the big blobs? (HRE, France, Fatimids and Almoravids). Nothing about the HRE so that playing a count doesn´t become boring after the HRE achieves Medium CA? (which happens in a few decades). Oh, I guess I will keep on playing HoI 3.

No!!! Don't you see? That's exactly what podcat and Darkrenown want!

This one I am a little affraid about. Other changes looks really interesting...

I do not see any reason to be. It is mostly just a fix for three cases:

1) When you create a higher title, e.g. a king forming forming an empire and suddenly all dukes hate you.
2) When switching primary kingdom.
3) When a duke inherits a kingdom his old count vassals start hating him.

How exactly saves are changing ? One of my old saves (started as Duke of Savoie, ended with Kingdom of Burgundy as primary title, game saved near end date) changed so much that when I tried to load him, there isn't any realm available (everything is grey on loading map), but I still can see which county is occupied (but don't see who is occupying). I am really curious if I still can do something, or it is totally lost...

The actually saves are not modified. You just need to play them in an old version of CK2 (something which is hard to install if you run Steam).

Will cultures tend to stick to their starting type of succession? Be nice if the AI at least stayed what they were rather than going for primo as soon as the player does.
Maybe even in future succession style could be linked to culture permanent? The only way to change it would be to shift culture.
ie wow this tutor has taught me of a better way from across the sea! From now on we will do the same as them. Would make regions more flavourful to play.

Slightly off topic but i also think CA should be per ruler and reset depending on how the succession went. Ie an old monarch could have raised it up high but on death an adult son takes it on as medium or a child as limited.
CA raiseable every 10 years and penalties for changing it reduced to indicate a monarchs growing power within the realm.
Would make playing counts less boring as less time would be spent above medium and make realms more fluid.

Last edited:
Could you please change this...? I don't want German names for the Italian, Bohemian or Dutch titles, only because the emperor is German... Why should the Duke of Brabant call his city Löwen instead of Leuven if the Emperor is German? For titles the local culture should be more important then the culture of the realm. The same with Occitan titles. Or Russians! They wouldn't use Mongolian names, only because they became vasalls of the Golden Horde.

Been thinking about this, not sure yet what the best solution is.

I agree that a Dutch city, ruled by a Dutch baron and a Dutch duke for the past x years should be named Dutch, even though the Emperor (I didn't vote for him) may be German.

However, I can imagine a freshly conquered Scottish settlement by the English to be renamed anyway, even though the Scottish baron may still be in power.

I'm thinking about a year thing:
If the [entity] has recently changed hands, it will get the name relevant to the highest ruler. So if the German emperor attacks and gets a set of French baronies, including barons, they will be renamed to their German counterparts.
After, say, 25 years, the naming decision drops a notch. As will it be for each next 25 years until the ruler itself is the name-giver.

Example:
The King of Ireland swears feilty to the (English) Emperor of Britannia. The king has a Scottish duke ruling in North-Ireland, which ended up with a Dutch baron.
Before the feilty, Ireland will have it's Irish name, Northern-Ireland will have it's Scottish name, and the barony will have it's Dutch name (I can imagine Irish baronies not having Dutch names, in which case they should revert to Scottish as part of the Dutchy)
The first 25 years all of Ireland will be English. If the Emperor so pleases, he can remove and replace those nasty Irish and Scottish for some of his own culture, or convert them.
Between 25 and 50 years, assuming the King of Ireland is still in power, the Kingdom will revert to it's Irish name.
Between 50 and 75 years, the Dutchy of North-Ireland will regain it's Scottish name
After 75 years, the Barony will have it's Dutch name, which makes everything as normal again.

Blah. Brainfarting, and this is probably not very true-to-life. Alternatively, just give the lower power the option to choose between the names, and give a relationship penalty if it doesn't choose to adopt the liege's preferred name.

Been thinking about this, not sure yet what the best solution is.

I agree that a Dutch city, ruled by a Dutch baron and a Dutch duke for the past x years should be named Dutch, even though the Emperor (I didn't vote for him) may be German.

However, I can imagine a freshly conquered Scottish settlement by the English to be renamed anyway, even though the Scottish baron may still be in power.

I'm thinking about a year thing:
If the [entity] has recently changed hands, it will get the name relevant to the highest ruler. So if the German emperor attacks and gets a set of French baronies, including barons, they will be renamed to their German counterparts.
After, say, 25 years, the naming decision drops a notch. As will it be for each next 25 years until the ruler itself is the name-giver.

Example:
The King of Ireland swears feilty to the (English) Emperor of Britannia. The king has a Scottish duke ruling in North-Ireland, which ended up with a Dutch baron.
Before the feilty, Ireland will have it's Irish name, Northern-Ireland will have it's Scottish name, and the barony will have it's Dutch name (I can imagine Irish baronies not having Dutch names, in which case they should revert to Scottish as part of the Dutchy)
The first 25 years all of Ireland will be English. If the Emperor so pleases, he can remove and replace those nasty Irish and Scottish for some of his own culture, or convert them.
Between 25 and 50 years, assuming the King of Ireland is still in power, the Kingdom will revert to it's Irish name.
Between 50 and 75 years, the Dutchy of North-Ireland will regain it's Scottish name
After 75 years, the Barony will have it's Dutch name, which makes everything as normal again.

Blah. Brainfarting, and this is probably not very true-to-life. Alternatively, just give the lower power the option to choose between the names, and give a relationship penalty if it doesn't choose to adopt the liege's preferred name.

The thing is, in 'general' you are dealing with the top liege ie king of England dealing with the kaiser... Who cares what the peasant folk call it the kaiser calls it German names.

I wonder if England will have Saxon Names pre conquest?

The thing is, in 'general' you are dealing with the top liege ie king of England dealing with the kaiser... Who cares what the peasant folk call it the kaiser calls it German names.

I wonder if England will have Saxon Names pre conquest?

How about it depends on what level you're playing?

So, if you're a count, all of the counties in your duchy will have the names of the count's cultures. All of the dutchies in the same country will have the name of the duke culture, and all other kingdoms will have culture of king. So if you're in the Netherlands, talking to another Dutch count, you will refer to Leuven instead of Löwen. However, if you look at the map towards the Kingdom of England, it will have the names of the King's culture, because if you decide to invade England, it matters how the king calls the damn place.

Either way, I'm overthinking this lol.

How about it depends on what level you're playing?

So, if you're a count, all of the counties in your duchy will have the names of the count's cultures. All of the dutchies in the same country will have the name of the duke culture, and all other kingdoms will have culture of king. So if you're in the Netherlands, talking to another Dutch count, you will refer to Leuven instead of Löwen. However, if you look at the map towards the Kingdom of England, it will have the names of the King's culture, because if you decide to invade England, it matters how the king calls the damn place.

Either way, I'm overthinking this lol.

I think i just went cross eyed...
I understand however seems to me that mostly places are currently named as per their game localisation... Maybe i'm wrong but to me the whole map always seems to have the english version of the names so already this will add some flavour.

I think i just went cross eyed...
I understand however seems to me that mostly places are currently named as per their game localisation... Maybe i'm wrong but to me the whole map always seems to have the english version of the names so already this will add some flavour.

Oh definetly, I already like it. Can't wait till monday.

Can patricians who are not doges hold any landed titles except of trading posts? For example Venetian patrician family holding counties in Crete?

Last edited:
The actually saves are not modified. You just need to play them in an old version of CK2 (something which is hard to install if you run Steam).

It's not hard to do at all, even with steam. You just need to copy the game files to another location on your hard-drive and launch the exe file from there.

Could you please change this...? I don't want German names for the Italian, Bohemian or Dutch titles, only because the emperor is German... Why should the Duke of Brabant call his city Löwen instead of Leuven if the Emperor is German? For titles the local culture should be more important then the culture of the realm. The same with Occitan titles. Or Russians! They wouldn't use Mongolian names, only because they became vasalls of the Golden Horde.

maybe using highest existing liege title inforior to emperor ?
then a duchy directly under an emperor would use duke's culture...

It's not hard to do at all, even with steam. You just need to copy the game files to another location on your hard-drive and launch the exe file from there.

The problem is getting a copy of the files from an old version after you have upgraded. I personally have saved all versions since 1.07b.