• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This one dev diary has just made me much more enthusiastic than I already was for this new patch/expansion. Only four more days! :D

Nice, did not expect TWO new succession laws in one patch. :D

I love it but if I may ask, why the Mongol startdate? Pagans/hordes are not playable at this point and the trade republics weren't very involved with the mongols.

The arrival of the Mongols is a significant moment in the history of Europe, and the date also fits nicely into when the Hanseatic League started to come into its own.

Patch 1.09 looks awesome, especially being finally able to grant independence from the diplomatic window and cultural renaming of provinces!
But I've yet to get an official response from the devs on this:
Will it be save-compatible with 1.08 (I'd wager not)?

I'd guess that they have only provided alternate names for the surrounding regions of interesting kingdoms, and left the grinding part of "What would Russian provinces be called if it had a Ghanian ruler?" for modders!

Yes, this is mostly it. For now the focus has mostly been on Iberia and Anatolia, but there is some other stuff as well.

Modders are welcome to go nuts with this, though. :)

Yes, this is mostly it. For now the focus has mostly been on Iberia and Anatolia, but there is some other stuff as well.

Modders are welcome to go nuts with this, though. :)

So we have Wasqah and will be renamed to Huesca, if Aragon conquer it, for exemple?

Patch 1.09 looks awesome, especially being finally able to grant independence from the diplomatic window and cultural renaming of provinces!
But I've yet to get an official response from the devs on this:
Will it be save-compatible with 1.08 (I'd wager not)?

It should be semi-compatible, but since this is a fairly significant update some issues might crop up. Safest bet is always to start a new game.

York becomes Jorvik when held by Scandinavians, and Adrianopolis becomes Edirne when held by the Turks, etc.

Alright. Sound great. Now I have a lot to do for my mod, but this is worth the work. :)

A question: If a Scandinavian count rules York, but had a English King as liege... Would the County be York or Jorvik?

If someone makes a minimod just providing alternate place names with this new feature I bet it has a good chance of being incorporated into a future patch (as happened with the dynasty mod for EU3)...

"The Reign length opinion modifers are now dependent on how long a character has been the liege of someone, not how long the primary title has been held"

This one I am a little affraid about. Other changes looks really interesting...

It should be semi-compatible, but since this is a fairly significant update some issues might crop up. Safest bet is always to start a new game.

How exactly saves are changing ? One of my old saves (started as Duke of Savoie, ended with Kingdom of Burgundy as primary title, game saved near end date) changed so much that when I tried to load him, there isn't any realm available (everything is grey on loading map), but I still can see which county is occupied (but don't see who is occupying). I am really curious if I still can do something, or it is totally lost...

Last edited:
Can someone explain how the cultural naming thing works? I really don't get where the names are pulled from...

Alternate cultural names are added to the landed titles file, right down to individual baronies. As you can imagine, this can be taken very far and Russian names could be added to titles in Ireland if so desired.

We're trying to keep this down to a reasonable level for now and use it where it makes sense, since it could easily become confusing for players if names keep changing all over the map. We will probably expand more on this in future patches, though, and it is very easy to mod.

Alternate cultural names are added to the landed titles file, right down to individual baronies. As you can imagine, this can be taken very far and Russian names could be added to titles in Ireland if so desired.

We're trying to keep this down to a reasonable level for now and use it where it makes sense, since it could easily become confusing for players if names keep changing all over the map. We will probably expand more on this in future patches, though, and it is very easy to mod.
So we can have specific BARONIES names for specific conquering cultures? This is... this is... AWESOME!!!

It would be York. It looks at the culture of your top liege.

Could you please change this...? I don't want German names for the Italian, Bohemian or Dutch titles, only because the emperor is German... Why should the Duke of Brabant call his city Löwen instead of Leuven if the Emperor is German? For titles the local culture should be more important then the culture of the realm. The same with Occitan titles. Or Russians! They wouldn't use Mongolian names, only because they became vasalls of the Golden Horde.

[*] Automatic cultural renaming of titles in your realm. So you'll automatically see Smyrna turn into Izmir if held by Turks, etc.

Oh based Paradox..! ;_;

(Any chance of changing the pentarchy from "Pentarchy=yes" in holdings to "Pentarchy=orthodox/miaphysite/etc" for use among other religions? :D )

– Is campaign fund contribution derived from your own personal cash or otherwise something "legitimate" or is it a filthy misappropriation of the public penny for your own selfish re-election needs?
– If you have the same money pool to upgrade your own holdings and palace, and the holdings of the Republic itself, this leads to an obvious conflict of interest: so what are going to be the AI's typical decision-making patterns when reconciling the need to upgrade yourself and upgrade the Republic (to simplify)?

It is mostly a filthy misappropriation of the public penny for your own selfish re-election needs.

The AI will act as if the public holdings are its own for as long as it rules the Republic.

No measures to domesticate the big blobs? (HRE, France, Fatimids and Almoravids). Nothing about the HRE so that playing a count doesn´t become boring after the HRE achieves Medium CA? (which happens in a few decades). Oh, I guess I will keep on playing HoI 3.