• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A few questions:

1. Am I right in thinking that SD of Pisa's demesne of 2/4 means Pisa's capital holding (the principal city of the province) and the SD's own family palace?
2. How exactly, as a king, does he have a demesne limit of 4? Is that even possible with horrible Stewardship or do Patricians get smaller limits?
3. Does having to provide financiall for my family members include:
- guys whom I grant a holding,
- guys whom I somehow manage to marry to landed women, which means they get a iure uxoris title and are referred to as baron/count/duke of x,
- other guys who have some title somewhere?
4. Will the Pisan Patrician Caetani be related to the Papal noble courtier/vassal baron Caetani?
5. Can I make spin-offs, i.e. install my "cadets" in places and reap the benefits of coworking on dynastic prestige like with feudal vassals?
6. Is there such a thing as inheriting another Patrician family?
7. Any other things you can say at this point about Patrician marriages?
8. Suppose I'm a pugnacious little burgher and win a holy war somewhere, giving me enough land to create the duchy or usurp the emir, do I become a Patrician Duke? A normal feudal Duke but under the Serene Doge as my liege? Does it give me an edge in elections? Can I even declare wars when not actually being the doge?

I think he has been stated numerous times that your family has possession moreso than just the estate.
Yeah, but how do this work?

Going to be really, really disappointed if we can't mod it so that females can become doge (for mods where that would be accurate).

Also a little worried about the complete lack of info on large changes the patch is making to non-Republic realms.

If you are going to kill your family for being a financial burden then don't go blaming the game for being unrealistic because that's on you. It's not like the game has a win condition in it that requires you to paint the map one color and keep the same demesne for generations on end. If your goals are super meta-gamey (I'll plan my marriages so my great-great grandson is a genius ruler of a place I've never been!) then don't be surprised if your methods are meta-gamey.

Oh no, not another mechanic that forces you to constantly perform democide on your own family. Come on.

Just choose not to marry off some sons/brothers and/or help them towards careers in the church. The 'only one son marries' tradition was actually commonly used by merchant families in the Italian republics (albeit recorded a little later).

As an aside, paradox has said nothing about kinslayer so don't get too fond of that dagger.

Doomdark said:
Respect comes mostly with age, so that old - and hopefully wise - Patricians have a definite advantage, but Prestige also helps a great deal. These factors are known and predictable, but there is also a hidden variable called the "Campaign Fund", which is how much money a Family has reserved for the next election campaign; including things like bribes, strong-arming and good old fashioned blackmail.

However, unlike Feudal Elective realms where your "default" heir is chosen by Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture, in Merchant Republics it is done by Agnatic Seniority. So you can never play as a woman in Merchant Republics; instead you will tend to play a lot of grumpy old men... but there is a neat loophole. Since you are in many ways the leader of a "family firm", you can designate your heir and pick any male family member by giving him a special honorary title. Be careful with your choice though; it cannot be undone. Also, a child cannot be elected Doge, and a young man will have a much harder time winning an election.

You know, this sounds an awful lot like the elective system of another Italian Political Entity controlling vast wealth with a strong influence on the area and Europe as a whole that Also gave its Rulers Impressive Hats.

Just Sayin'

Speaking of that, is there a way to revive the Roman Republic?

You know, this sounds an awful lot like the elective system of another Italian Political Entity controlling vast wealth with a strong influence on the area and Europe as a whole that Also gave its Rulers Impressive Hats.

Just Sayin'

Exactly what I was thinking :)

John M Bridge said:
Little confuse here, Ok So old memeber of dystanty all become the next Patrican, then how does choice heir help, you could choice a young man would be counter defeat the success system?

There's a reason for that...respect comes from age, so the purpose of your succession is to nominate a patriarch for your family that will be old and wise and can take over the Republic should the Doge die.

It isn't about selecting a young whipper snapper to take over your house. A patrician that is young and knows nothing about the world is a horrible choice to be the head of your household. So playing in a Republic you will have to get out of the mindset of securing your children and instead look at your slightly younger brother or that annoying cousin and be like "hey man, the fortune of the family is in your hands".

I personally like how this dynamic sounds, brings in a lot of other options in the game that will make keeping your family close way more important.

But like other's I'm curious about how all this plays out should a patrician house like Genoa accidentally take over a few duchies in Sicily as they seem to do in my games lately.

Speaking of that, is there a way to revive the Roman Republic?

I hope not! Reforming the Roman Empire as Byzantium was stretching the limits, especially because Byzantium already was the Roman Empire, but by the CKII time period the Roman Republic was deader than the Wicked Witch. There should be relevant geographical republic titles, so a republic can grow in prestige and significance, but this would be too silly.

I hope not! Reforming the Roman Empire as Byzantium was stretching the limits, especially because Byzantium already was the Roman Empire, but by the CKII time period the Roman Republic was deader than the Wicked Witch. There should be relevant geographical republic titles, so a republic can grow in prestige and significance, but this would be too silly.

Save for the fact that rome did become a republic for a time, or did the commune of rome never happen?

its simple: play as republic, take land in sicily, swear fealty to Byz emp, form elective faction, get faction victory, become emperor, fulfill requirements of restore rome,replace all feudal lords with burgers, tada!

Will the AI understand to limit male lines of the dynasty?
As it didnt with the Moslem's decadence leading to AI dynasties falling over, should we expect overextension bankrupting Republician dynasties too?

And also, is there any word on what happens when a dynasty is present in multiple republics?
id assume the same mechanic that prevents feudal title holding members of the dynasty would kick in to prevent the republics consolidating, but would there be two patriarchs, one in each realm? and would the heir have to be a member or your dynasty from inside your realm? or would the best seniority agnatic heir go to whoever died first?
Or would a doge of your dynasty in another realm be a one generation thing who wouldnt leave a branch behind as the patrician of the dynasty in that republic.