• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Once again;

You know what I mean. Construct trade posts on land.

@Doomdark. How about this:

• Allow all states to construct trade posts. Even Feudal states. Even counties. However, grant a massive bonus to Republic's income with them, and make it so expensive that vassals will rarely build them. Why? Well, trade was a very essential element in the Medieval era, even for kings.
  • An event similar to the one that fires when a Holy Order wants a barony should fire if someone wants to establish trade. For example, 'Traders from X seek to establish trade with us. [Trade with X would greatly benefit our economy.] [No trading with the scum of X!]. This should not fire for the top liege but the character in control of the province.
  • Trading should boost opinion and factor in to the AI's reluctance to declare war. Not make it impossible, but attacking someone you are trading with doesn't help the economy.
  • Overland trade structures. How would this work? You could build these in provinces adjacent to those you or your vassals control and beside trade structures you control. This would create an overland trade route. Why? Overland trading was a thing, you know.
  • Grant Nubia, Abyssinia and Egypt these overland trade structures. Why? First, the money would give them a much needed buff, and second, the AI's reluctance to attack trade partners would make it a good representation of the Baqt, allowing Nubia and Abyssinia to survive as historical. This may unfortunately also buff Egypt, but with a few tweaks to their income that could be fixed.
  • Enable all other republics! No excuse with overland trade.

I'll think of more later.

LISTEN TO THE HANDSOME, STRONG AND INTELLIGENT PERSON.

Last edited:
I have a question.

I assume the lowest-tier republic is a Grand City (county), followed by Republic (duchy) and Most Seren Republic (kingdom). Is it possible to have a republic..within a republic...within a republic, and if the answer is yes, does each republic have an own cast of patricians or do duke-tier rulers run for the king-tier election?
I believe the new mechanics only apply to Republics of Duchy level and above, Cities and Grand Cities will be unplayable and governed by random mayors, the same as now.

I'm also curious how the vassal mechanics will work for Republics.

Will the Arab peninsula now be surrounded by navigable seas to allow trade posts to be built there or will it still be a void?

I guess della Gherardesca heir is 41 years old. So you get 41 respect for a year (41*41=1681). If it's true and 1 gold in campaign's fund gives you 20 respect, you need only 20.5 gold to beat 10 years difference.

That would be a big coincidence. Maybe it's age²? That would be far more difficult to out-pay

One line bothers me. ;)

Patricians expect a position on the ruling Council, and will dislike the Doge if he has picked someone more competent.

But the Italians have such a beautiful name for it! Just say it for yourself, consiglio! How can you call it anything else?

Pardon if this has been answered somewhere and I missed it, but: supposing you appoint a mayor of your own dynasty and make him a doge, does your dynasty automatically become a patrician family? Do all your family members then get a cut of that income, including the feudal lords? What would happen if you appointed different relatives doges of Venice, Pisa and Genoa? Would the game count that as the same patrician family?

I guess della Gherardesca heir is 41 years old. So you get 41 respect for a year (41*41=1681). If it's true and 1 gold in campaign's fund gives you 20 respect, you need only 20.5 gold to beat 10 years difference.
My academic guess is that age factor is more like (age-16)*x

Go away math

nobody likes you

I like the limited scope of the dlc. An overall change to the entire game to introduce trade to feudal rulers would make it a different game.

Personally I'd like to see more uncertainty in feudal elections, so that a player can't be guaranteed getting the heir of his choice, making elective succession less like an easy mode and making me more likely to want to use it sometimes. It'd be interesting to have some of the mechanics for republic elections transferred to the feudal elections.

@ Portal, unfortunately I think that best case scenario would be that we can mod most of those in. I don't think Paradox would change it round so close to release alas.

I have a question, is any way to make a title yours instead of being part of the republic so when your doge character dies you dont lose everything?