• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do we get some way to grant a duchy as a republic when giving it to a courtier, or must we still first make a mayor and then grant him the duchy? I know I'd want to great quite a few merchant republics.

Are you changing anything about the "Wrong government type" modifier? It's a bit nasty, and a bit weird, and IMHO lacks reasoning.

You know what I mean. Construct trade posts on land.

@Doomdark. How about this:

• Allow all states to construct trade posts. Even Feudal states. Even counties. However, grant a massive bonus to Republic's income with them, and make it so expensive that vassals will rarely build them. Why? Well, trade was a very essential element in the Medieval era, even for kings.
  • An event similar to the one that fires when a Holy Order wants a barony should fire if someone wants to establish trade. For example, 'Traders from X seek to establish trade with us. [Trade with X would greatly benefit our economy.] [No trading with the scum of X!]. This should not fire for the top liege but the character in control of the province.
  • Trading should boost opinion and factor in to the AI's reluctance to declare war. Not make it impossible, but attacking someone you are trading with doesn't help the economy.
  • Overland trade structures. How would this work? You could build these in provinces adjacent to those you or your vassals control and beside trade structures you control. This would create an overland trade route. Why? Overland trading was a thing, you know.
  • Grant Nubia, Abyssinia and Egypt these overland trade structures. Why? First, the money would give them a much needed buff, and second, the AI's reluctance to attack trade partners would make it a good representation of the Baqt, allowing Nubia and Abyssinia to survive as historical. This may unfortunately also buff Egypt, but with a few tweaks to their income that could be fixed.
  • Enable all other republics! No excuse with overland trade.

I'll think of more later.

One of the big debuffs the fatimids need is changing things so there's a sunni majority in Egypt and a number of minorities (druzes, christians, etc) in the levant and the rest of Egypt. They should be whacking heretics pretty constantly during that time period.

One of the big debuffs the fatimids need is changing things so there's a sunni majority in Egypt and a number of minorities (druzes, christians, etc) in the levant and the rest of Egypt. They should be whacking heretics pretty constantly during that time period.

Changing counties to christian give them very big buff instead of debuff. Non-muslims paid extra tax(jizya) to their muslim liege.

No Bruges? What? It was the most important trading city in Northern Europe in the 12th and 13th century...
Although it was indeed part of the kingdom of France, part of the Duchy of Flanders, claiming Bruges was 'lorded over' by a princely family is quite an exxageration. Bruges was ruled, by and large, by what one would consider as patricians. And it would remain so for quite a long time. It was also very, very mercantile in nature, certainly not landlocked, and most certainly not minor.

And here I thought I would've finally be able to play my native city in its full medieval glory... Awwww :'-(

You know what I mean. Construct trade posts on land.

@Doomdark. How about this:

• Allow all states to construct trade posts. Even Feudal states. Even counties. However, grant a massive bonus to Republic's income with them, and make it so expensive that vassals will rarely build them. Why? Well, trade was a very essential element in the Medieval era, even for kings.
  • An event similar to the one that fires when a Holy Order wants a barony should fire if someone wants to establish trade. For example, 'Traders from X seek to establish trade with us. [Trade with X would greatly benefit our economy.] [No trading with the scum of X!]. This should not fire for the top liege but the character in control of the province.
  • Trading should boost opinion and factor in to the AI's reluctance to declare war. Not make it impossible, but attacking someone you are trading with doesn't help the economy.
  • Overland trade structures. How would this work? You could build these in provinces adjacent to those you or your vassals control and beside trade structures you control. This would create an overland trade route. Why? Overland trading was a thing, you know.
  • Grant Nubia, Abyssinia and Egypt these overland trade structures. Why? First, the money would give them a much needed buff, and second, the AI's reluctance to attack trade partners would make it a good representation of the Baqt, allowing Nubia and Abyssinia to survive as historical. This may unfortunately also buff Egypt, but with a few tweaks to their income that could be fixed.
  • Enable all other republics! No excuse with overland trade.

I'll think of more later.

Yes,yes,yes, and again yes! Listen to that voice of reason!

Great! I can't wait to try it! I decided, for the occasion, to read again the amazing work of Frederic C. Lane, Venice, A Maritime Republic wich describe the history and the political turmoil of a medieval republic passing from the early medieval time until the time of revolutions... So Venice will be, after this DLC, my game of CK2 and my first game of EU4.

I got so many questions aboutthis DLC... like : will patrician be able to govern town or just their palace and trading posts? It could be nice! How would internal politics work? I hope that there will be decision of internal politics between families.

I time off coming up and I'm looking forward to getting back into CK2, and I like the sound of this DLC. I'm especially looking forward to playing Gotland for some reason.

I don't think you can do that, you'll have to mod it to make the other republics playable.

I don't think you can do that, you'll have to mod it to make the other republics playable.

Why do you think so ? We got comments by Doomdark that go in the opposite direction so i wonder.

Why do you think so ? We got comments by Doomdark that go in the opposite direction so i wonder.

I thought it was explicitly stated that you couldn't play as any other republics without modding it.

I thought it was explicitly stated that you couldn't play as any other republics without modding it.

IF true, he still though said that any coastline mayor could be granted a duchy and become a republic. Saving and loading as that person still shouldnt be possible ?
How do you read that from comments ? If true though that would be an immense downer.

Oh ffs i better wait till the next DevDiary before giving up hope.