• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Kyoumen
Thanks for that response. I admit i only read the Wikipedia article , but it assumes that simply put the court/assembly was at al-Farabis' will IIRC and thus wouldnt be any different from many other trading hotspots in the western hemisphere. Augsburg for instance became a free city, but wasn't independent as Venice or Lübeck, while the patrician families ruled it themselves and one of them usually elected as head.
The same for Flanders. Still creatable though and maybe ingame later.

The whole point is arguable though and i either hope for trade-like additions for non-republics and all playable cultures via patching or at least events.
We need more events anyway. More economy would be great.

The new mechanics look extremely cool but I'm disappointed about the inability to play as Ancona, Novgorod, Cordoba, Florence, the Swiss Confederation and so on. I suspect it's more of a matter of balance to allow Venice, Pisa, Genoa and so on to have their appropriate maritime spheres of influence in the Mediterranean. This also may explain why Gotland is in, otherwise the Hansa would be uncontestend in the northern seas.

I also kind of expected Doges cannot become emperors, but I hoped for some Latin Empire mechanics whereby a Republic creates an Empire as basically a puppet of itself (like Venice did historically with the Latin Empire).

As I always start playing with one county OPMs, all of them county-tiered, to make long campaigns until 1453 I am not sure I am buying this one.

...well in the end I'll do it, as in the end I'll get Sunset Invasion as well, for I love this damned game (perhaps too much) but man, I want to play as Ancona. And without modding, modding often messes up with the original devs' design.

Will there be an option to use ruler designer to rename/replace an existing Patrician family with your own custom dynasty (for all of us Godfather fans to add the Corleones/Barzinis/Tattaglias)?

It depends on the start date (the Hansa does not exist in 1066, etc). You can currently not use the Ruler Designer to create a Patrician, but it's something we are looking into.

That's the answer he gave on page 2.

Just to clarify, we can't actually create playable merchant republics anywhere, right? Some users seem to think that simply having a coastal republic will create a playable merchant republic.

The dev's posts suggest that only the 5 listed will be playable under any circumstance (including later start dates or save-loading).

Now, somebody mentioned a playable Ancona, and since Ancona's not part of the list I'm wondering if I've made a false assumption here.

Just to clarify, we can't actually create playable merchant republics anywhere, right? Some users seem to think that simply having a coastal republic will create a playable merchant republic.

The dev's posts suggest that only the 5 listed will be playable under any circumstance (including later start dates or save-loading).

Now, somebody mentioned a playable Ancona, and since Ancona's not part of the list I'm wondering if I've made a false assumption here.

Well, in the post number #27 Doomdark says that if you create a republic in game (something you can do already), the game generates 5 patrician families for that republic. I see no reason why this newly created republic or its patrician families cannot be chosen in the map where you select your character.

e. And I obviously mean coastal, ducal tier republics, no other possible "republics" get those new republican mechanics.

Last edited:
What do we want? OVERLAND TRADE ROUTES AND INLAND REPUBLICS! When do we want em? JANUARY 14!

The reality is... You also need a duchy of higher title. So only make them coastal doesn't help. You also must give them a duchy. Costal, county republics aren't playable :(

That can be solved with titular dukes. Which a number of mods do.

Also put me up in the list of people who are hugely puzzled in the muslim piety gain thing. Venice and Genoa were active in muslim countries all the way to the end of the game. This is completely ahistorical. Venetian control of eastern trade is why Genoa obsessed over fighting another way around.

Last edited:
No, that was the answer to an entirely different question-creating a new Patrician from a previously feudal ruler, not renaming an existing Patrician's dynasty.

You can do so now with feudal dynasties already (in the attributes part of the Designer), why shouldnt you so with republican families ?
Maybe i don't understand your question correctly.

That can be solved with titular dukes. Which a number of mods do.

Why does it have to be titular? One coastal county run by a Lord Mayor, give him a ducal title, you have a Doge and a republic. Even at moment I don't alwaysgive them another/all the counties immediately. For example in my current Brittany game, I gave a mayor in Cornwall (Penzance?) the county of Cornwall. When the "granted a county" bonus was worn out, a gave this Lord Mayor the Duchy of Cornwall. Now he was Doge of Cornwall running the Republic of Cornwall. I didn't grant another county, Devon, for a decade.

Of course titular Dukes, in this case Doges are easier, because they don't desire the other county/counties, like in my other current game where I have a Titular Republic of Zaragoza set up in Tarragona as a nice vassal. He is actually a Muslim, which means even more money (republic run city +25%, republic run coastal city +100%, grand republic capital city +100%, jizya tax +25%)...

Last edited:
Why does it have to be titular? One coastal county run by a Lord Mayor, give him a ducal title, you have a Doge and a republic. Even at moment I don't give them another/all the counties immediately. For example in my current Brittany game, I gave a mayor in Cornwall (Penzance) the county of Cornwall. When the "granted a county" bonus was worn out, a gave this Lord Mayor Duchy of Cornwall. Now he was Doge of Cornwall running the Republic of Cornwall. I didn't grant another county for a decade.

Of course titular Dukes, in this case Doges are easier, because they don't desire the other county/counties, like in my other current game where I have a Titular Republic of Zaragoza in Tarragona as a nice vassal. He is actually a Muslim, which means even more money (republic run city +25%, republic run coastal city +100%, grand republic capital city +100%, jizya tax +25%)...

Because Ancona is in the duchy of Spoleto. Personally, I'd just make Romagna and Spoleto a single duchy of the pentapolis, flagged as uncreatable by anyone but the Byzantine empire, and with every province having a duchy level titular title (archbishop of Ravenne, dukes of Urbino, Spoleto and Ferrara, republics of Ancona and Bologna)

Because Ancona is in the duchy of Spoleto. Personally, I'd just make Romagna and Spoleto a single duchy of the pentapolis, flagged as uncreatable by anyone but the Byzantine empire, and with every province having a duchy level titular title (archbishop of Ravenne, dukes of Urbino, Spoleto and Ferrara, republics of Ancona and Bologna)

No, Ancona is the other county in Duchy of Ancona, the other one being landlocked Urbino. Duchy of Spoleto, on the other hand, consists of Apprutium (Abruzzo, coastal) and Spoleto (landlocked).