• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No republic of Novgorod. Sad.

No Pskov either. Real sad.
I hope we can easily mod them in, and this becomes a mod everyone uses.
It seems that access to the sea is vital for the republic mechanics to work, so that's probably the main reason why they're both excluded.

Does the Republic's home province have to touch the sea for things to work? Or would it work for example if Florence possessed Lucca.

If I have a king level title, like king of france, and gain a claim to a republic (ducal level title) will there be a way to exercise my claim to produce a vassal republic without destroying the patrician families and their investments / trade posts? Or does a vassal republic always have to start from scratch? For that matter, what happens to the trade posts of a defunct republic? Do they just disappear?

It seems that access to the sea is vital for the republic mechanics to work, so that's probably the main reason why they're both excluded.

I'm pretty sure Novgorod has (or attains) access to the sea in most start dates. Since that's the only reason that's been given, I'm really puzzled by Paradox's insistence that access to the sea is the only criteria for a playable Republic, yet doesn't open up Novgorod for play or offer any other reason ('it would be boring' was given, but I figure that's up to the player). Furthermore it doesn't explain the removal of Amalfi either.

Is this intended to split the Republics into 2 DLCs? One for merchant republics and one for civil or feudal republics (for Rome, Cordoba, Iceland, and Novgorod)?

I'm pretty sure Novgorod has (or attains) access to the sea in most start dates. Since that's the only reason that's been given, I'm really puzzled by Paradox's insistence that access to the sea is the only criteria for a playable Republic, yet doesn't open up Novgorod for play or offer any other reason ('it would be boring' was given, but I figure that's up to the player). Furthermore it doesn't explain the removal of Amalfi either.

Is this intended to split the Republics into 2 DLCs? One for merchant republics and one for civil or feudal republics (for Rome, Cordoba, Iceland, and Novgorod)?

Could they possibly just be hinting at the fact that Novgorod does not exist as a republic in 1066? That's possible. A good majority of players (so my impression goes) don't play on start dates past 1066, so it would make sense that a Novgorod Republic isn't "playable" then because it doesn't exist in the first place. That said, they could have just said Novgorod would be playable as a Republic at later start dates.

I also an uncertain whether they'll have a nother DLC for non-merchant Republics. It seems much of the new Republic material is already in... but I could be wrong; who knows, they might throw in more than expected later on.

The Amalfi thing does seem a shame. I'd love to take a historically doomed little merchant republic and reverse the tides to bring it to the forefront of the Italian republics. I think giving it a city and titular duchy in the county of Capua would probably be an accurate representation.

And I'm very confused by Gotlands inclusion. When I looked it up, it didnt seem especially merchant republic-y except when Visby was hanseatic. Is it just because its Swedish?

When is someone going to make a mod of any Paradox game, where provinces and countries are sized by the importance we believe Paradox gives them (Denmark not to be included on this map)?

Hansa is one of the playables. But Hansa isnt in the game at start, so the only way to form it would be to start as Gotland? Or did I miss something?

According to the original article, it is formable through a series of events for whoever is in charge of Lübeck.

Edit: I am also surprised to learn that Denmark is in Aalborg.

I am willing to accept that inland republics are not playable - if I can create a republic while I am a king, save and then load as that very republic with the generated patrician families, that's fine for me!

As soon as this is out, I will start as a King of Scotland, create the Republic of the Isles (something I have done previously, just for the flavour) and then load as them! And then Republic of Samogitia (something I always set up as a King of Poland or Lithuania). Or set up a republic on coast of Caspian Sea or in the Horn of Africa! Wait, they are not coasts in the game, damn...

If I'm right, that's possible, the republics need not be independent?

I wonder what will happen with the existing Grand Cities/Lord Mayors. If I understood, they don't get the new mechanics?

What about Muslim republics? I accept that Cordoba is not going to be playable but I usually set up Wali-Emirs as a Muslim ruler just as I set up Doges, when playing as Christians. For example, if as Sultan of Mauretania I set up theRepublic of Tlemcen, can I load the game with one of their generated patrician families? It would be very interesting to try a Muslim republic and compete with the Christian ones.

Pisa etc. are kingdom level republics and therefore not able to be vassalised by kings. Can they lose the Serene Doge title and be just duke-level again?

I am sure more answers are given with the upcoming DD's.

PS. Publish the Mediterranean face pack at least with The Republics, please!
PPS. Doomdark, you look cool!
PPPS. Shut up and take my money!

e. PPPPPS. If the ruler designer could create a design republic and the family heads, I would have the reason to get that. I haven't got any reason to buy that before.

Last edited:
It seems everyone has missed the real question.

Can Republics form non-Republic King tier titles? The Serene Republic of Ireland for example. It shouldn't be so hard to invade Ireland, divest one's self of their Italian holdings, and wait for a culture shift.

Taking Gotland over Amalfi, Florence, Ragusa etc. is... strange.

So my question is: will it be possible to make via modding other republics playable or these five are hardcoded?

I don't understand. Why narrow the scope of this dlc so much, to only 5 republic? What prevents inland republic from working exactly with these mechanics? I mean the sea trade isn't exactly the only trade existing, and republic aren't necessarily all about trade.
Right now it seems more like Crusader Kings II: The Republic-but-wait-only-five-of-them-and-only-those-bordering-a-seacost. Also you can invest in golden toilet seats for your super palace which totally makes you more powerful!

I mean come on I love you paradox but this seems a bit disappointing here.

Taking Gotland over Amalfi, Florence, Ragusa etc. is... strange.

So my question is: will it be possible to make via modding other republics playable or these five are hardcoded?

Make the capital of a province and it becomes a republic. Like these. So no, it is not hardcoded at all.