• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah throw in inland trade routes, go on. You know you want to. You could put them on a trade menu like you do with the trade posts. You could even upgrade them by adding pilgrims hostels in provinces where there were traditional pilgrimage routes, like Northern Spain or in the Hijaz. Then the longer the line of contigious provinces with trade routes built, the more profitable it will be to build trade posts there :)

Ah go on. Pretty please?

transposing sea system to land system might be quite possible indeed but that will once again separate land merchant republic (if it ever existed ?) to none merchant ones.

i'm both happy and disappointed about this DD.

Happy because the gameplay looks very new and cool as expected. The Seniority sucession for Patrician will be fun, we'll just have to kill everyone older than the heir we want to play !

Disappointed because 5 places playables is not enough. I trusted PI to make all republics playable, including Cordoba and Novgorod, and a huge fight between all the late Italian ones could have been awesome in a multiplayer game. Anyway I rarely starter after 1100 so it's not a very big deal, but i thought PI would have seen the specificity of Cordoba and

I hope future DDs will tell us about creation of new playable republics, especially non-christians ones. I'll probably still buy this, I want to play as Venice for so long.

I'd still like a system where you could build inland trade routes or roads in your territory and thus build trade posts in any province liked to yours by such a route. Perhaps you could even offer to build such routes in friendly neighbouring provinces. That would open up inland trade, and make inland republics viable.

THIS. This is could be the solution. Trade roads for every region. Republics playable everywhere !

Any chance we'll see dowries among noble families?

Sounds wonderful! :D

This might be fodder for another thread, but I hope modders can use some of these mechanics to:

• Create a more dynamic economic model. Don’t want to completely blow up the game, but it would give cities everywhere and courtiers something to do. The response above about trade routes and roads sounds fantastic.
• Make ALL republics (and free cities) playable.
• Enable me to play as an “unlanded” courtier in a feudal court, and work my way up. Historically during this era, the warrior-caste title holders began to give way to jumped-up lawyers and merchants who bought titles from lieges who needed cash.
• And what about that? Why is there no event for courtiers with money to seek to buy a barony, or a count with money to offer to buy an uncreated dukedom or a title held by the king? Happened all the time.

• And what about that? Why is there no event for courtiers with money to seek to buy a barony, or a count with money to offer to buy an uncreated dukedom or a title held by the king? Happened all the time.

Counts with money CAN create Duchies, and there's a decision for when you desire a duchy held by your liege.

I know, right? That looks like business attire 50 years ahead of it's time. Very zen.

Reminds me of George Clooney honestly

What would happen to player if his entire republic is annexed, but he has feudal dynastic relatives who own counties? Will he switch to them and play as normal feudal lord from now on?
What would happen to, say, MSR of Venice, if they lost the county of Venice to someone else? Will the game continue, or will republic dissolve? (Hansa might've survived losing Lubeck, but Venice was mostly just Venice).
Will provinces/holding belonging to family or republic be somehow differentiated? For example, will patrician family keep any castles it had after losing re-election for doge, but lose cities to the next doge?