• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hm, so there are only 5 possible places to start?
Not possible to make someone Patrician with Ruler Designer or something?

It depends on the start date (the Hansa does not exist in 1066, etc). You can currently not use the Ruler Designer to create a Patrician, but it's something we are looking into.

And you can start only as current doge/serene doge?

No, you can choose to start as any of the five families within the republic.

Unlikely. I doubt they could be made very interesting, tbh.

So no swiss confederacy? To bad... Could it make moddable sometime... please? Also for counties. At last maritime, republic counties should be playable. Baronies not, yes, I understand... But why no counties? They could make fun too.

How can we choose the family that we wanted to play ?
If it's possible

It depends on the start date (the Hansa does not exist in 1066, etc). You can currently not use the Ruler Designer to create a Patrician, but it's something we are looking into.

No, you can choose to start as any of the five families within the republic.

Thank you for the answers! Looking forward to future DDs and the DLC itself.
I hope you will do DD next week, but I heard you have holidays, too bad for us, fans. :)

Oh, so that wasn't just a limitation of the interface, rather than coding? Like how there's an additional member of the Council in Game of Thrones, was it?

It's currently a hard limit. (Easy to export to a define, but it would require major interface modding in any case.)

What happens when you raise up a new Republic in-game, though? Does the five families get generated based on Dynasties of that culture, or?

Yes, it generates five Patricians.

Unlikely. I doubt they could be made very interesting, tbh.

Because they would not have enough possible things to do in the game to keep keep the player busy? Historically non-mercantile republics had lots of interesting internal politics and were influential powers during the era. The City of Rome and Novgorord springs to mind.

I understand though that at least the City of Rome seems hard to represent in an interesting way in the game.

EDIT: Forgot the Swiss confederacy.

I understand though that at least the City of Rome seems hard to represent in an interesting way in the game.

Would be fun to have the Pope more-or-less lose his authority in his own realm to a surge of republican sentiment, though, with him desperately trying to get them to obey by placing them under interdict and hoping some neighbouring power - preferably not the HRE since that'd increase their already sizable influence in his central Italy - would assist in putting an end to the madness.

My little consern on the most meaningless of things:
"Wine Cellar", "Maproom", "Palace Garden"

Please, is that really necessary? Maybe "Wine estates" or "Wineyard" or somethng a little more Grand in scale would be more appropriate IMO

Please, is that really necessary? Maybe "Wine estates" or "Wineyard" or somethng a little more Grand in scale would be more appropriate IMO

easy enough to mod.

It's the first level of the building chain.

To be honest, while it's not great for feudal gameplay, I can see how seniority would be good for Republics (the head of the family being the oldest). Having said that, it would be nice to have succession by prestige rather than age, so that the most important player takes the role of head of the family (usually the oldest, but prevents older fools from taking charge, which I think is accurate).
Looks to be turning out really well though! (lets hope the world doesn't end and we get a chance to play it :p )

Would be fun to have the Pope more-or-less lose his authority in his own realm to a surge of republican sentiment, though, with him desperately trying to get them to obey by placing them under interdict and hoping some neighbouring power - preferably not the HRE since that'd increase their already sizable influence in his central Italy - would assist in putting an end to the madness.

It would also be historically correct. Since it was a constant struggle for the pope to control the roman nobility.

Thanks for the DD, and merry christmas to u too doomdark!
Just one small thing I wanna ask. Would the child of a previous doge get a claim on the republic when that family got elected out of office? I wonder whether it will be some sort of civil war within republics due to this

Thanks for the DD, and merry christmas to u too doomdark!
Just one small thing I wanna ask. Would the child of a previous doge get a claim on the republic when that family got elected out of office? I wonder whether it will be some sort of civil war within republics due to this

No, because there are legit ways of getting back into power. More on that later. :)

This looks very good. I hope that this and the next patch will make playing in Italy more unique, would like to see the Republics co-operating with other Italian States, Pope against the empire or other bigger powers.