• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's time for another cycle of developer diaries on Crusader Kings II and I thought I'd begin by talking about the new start date and giving you a broad overview of the upcoming expansion; The Old Gods. Yes, we're pushing back the earliest possible start date to 867 AD. This is a special bookmark that comes with the expansion (and you will not be able to start at dates between 867 and 1066 without modding.)

Europe is a very different place in 867... Many of the familiar countries have not yet come into being. There is no Hungary, no Poland, no Russian principalities and the British Isles and Scandinavia are full of petty kingdoms. The Carolingians still rule the Franks, but the great Empire of Charlemagne has been divided between four of his descendants. In the Byzantine Empire, a new dynasty has just risen - the House of Makedon - destined to restore some of its former glory. The Muslims are in the middle of a drawn-out crisis as the once enormous Abbasid Caliphate has fractured, with a succession of Caliphs being murdered by their own Turkish generals.

CKII_ToG_DD_01_Europe_867.png

Most importantly, however, the North and East are completely dominated by bustling tribes of unrepentant heathens who remain less than impressed with the White Christ. Why debase yourself before a dead man on a cross when you can loot the riches of his fat clergy instead? Just as the fury of the Northmen descends on the undefended shores of Europe, other, equally pagan threats are on the rise in the steppes of Tartaria. Like the Avars before them, the feared Magyar horse lords are pushing into Europe from beyond the Carpathians. Why is all this more important than the affairs of Christians and Muslims? Because with The Old Gods, all these heathens are finally playable! (But you probably knew that already. :D )

CKII_ToG_DD_01_Magyar_Invasion.png

Playing a pagan chieftain is at least as different as playing a Muslim. Not only that, there are significant differences between the various heathen religions. Some are aggressive in nature, like the Norse and Tengri beliefs, and some are more defensive, like the Finno-Ugric faith. For example, the warlike Norse will suffer a prestige loss for being at peace for too long, and will need to wage war or set sail to pillage and loot. The Finns don't have this problem, but on the other hand, their vassals will dislike having their troops raised (like Christians). Some faiths get defensive bonuses and larger garrisons in their homelands, some don't, etc. However, they can all potentially be reformed to withstand the allure of the new religions.

CKII_ToG_DD_01_The_Great_Heathen_Army.png

In the coming weeks, I will explain the different religions in detail. I will, of course, also talk about other new features, like traversible rivers, new cultures, Zoroastrians, Adventurers, and much more. Stay tuned, and here are some more screenshots to tease and titillate!

CKII_ToG_DD_01_Loot_and_Pillage.pngCKII_ToG_DD_01_Varangians.pngCKII_ToG_DD_01_The_Last_Zoroastrians.png

[video=youtube;V-edUnWQgyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-edUnWQgyM[/video]

Web page: http://www.crusaderkings.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Crusaderkings
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Crusaderkings

Last edited by a moderator:
Idk if pagans had it, but adding polyandry might be useful for modders. And my fantasy creation the Istari, an immortal polygynous polyandrous group of wizards living in Homestaeds(basically the size of a Jotnar giant(15-30 ft tall)castle) , the subject of my IstariMod, practiced it.

As far as i know, there was no such thing than germany nor holy roman empire of german nation before year 1000 or sth.

Burgundy must be renamed Lothringen and italy would be Empire. Afterwards there should be events to "Annex" lothringen and Italy.

As far as i know, there was no such thing than germany nor holy roman empire of german nation before year 1000 or sth.

Burgundy must be renamed Lothringen and italy would be Empire. Afterwards there should be events to "Annex" lothringen and Italy.
There shouldn't... Italy was brought into the HRE legally by marriage of Otto I and Queen Adelaide and effectively by Otto's invasion to subdue the land. Scripting an event for that will be serious railroading. Middle Francia, Lotharingia, Burgundy, or whatever you wanna call it, was divided between kings of the West and East also by force, when king Lothair II died heirless. So all this can be handled by usual inheritance and usurp/claim mechanics.

Thanks ChildeR, yeah that's kind of what I expected. It's not that big of a disappointment as most of the petty kings actually wore headgear more similar to the duchal coif. Still, I hope paradox finds a way of differentiating the Kings and Dukes within The Old Gods.

In the Stream today Italy got inherited ( i think) by Lotharingia and later became part of Francia. Hmmmm....

Well 6 more dev diaries = 6 weeks +1, probably.
Maybe.

It's done when it's done some wise man once said. ;)

Well 6 more dev diaries = 6 weeks +1, probably.
Maybe.

It's done when it's done some wise man once said. ;)
I need my Ck2 fix bad. Im already getting sweaty and nauseated, im sure the chills are going to be setting in soon. Hurry up Paradox!

All I want is my Petty Kingdom of Mercia, is that too much to ask!? :(

Hey, look on the bright side, everybody pointing out a lack of actual Persian looking Persians/the Norse-named Russian states/the absence of Asturias - all the more modding opportunities.

What I'd like to know at this stage is what state I should expect to find my beloved Byzantion in. I took a brief look at maps and it seems roughly the same size as it did in 1066, albeit with a bit more territory in Sicily and a bit less in Armenia, Syria and beyond.

Anything remarkable about the Empire at this time?

Last edited:
Hey, look on the bright side, everybody pointing out a lack of actual Persian looking Persians/the Norse-named Russian states/the absence of Asturias - all the more modding opportunities.

What I'd like to know at this stage is what state I should expect to find my beloved Byzantion in. I took a brief look at maps and it seems roughly the same size as it did in 1066, albeit with a bit more territory in Sicily and a bit less in Armenia, Syria and beyond.

Anything remarkable about the Empire at this time?

Well they start without Bulgaria, which is independent and almost at its greatest extent, they do have some more provinces though along the Dalmatian coast.

And of course, they start with emperor Basilieios I of the Macedonian dynasty.

I guess 1066'll still be the start point I want if I just want a nice position of power to start with for a good roflstomping of the rest of the world.

Still, 867 sounds like a bit of a challenge, not quite as much of a challenge as 1071 - 1081, or 1205 onwards, but a challenge nonetheless.

At any rate, I hope PI don't become too focused on making starting at 867 a smooth transition to a 1066 scenario every time. This isn't really a history game after all; it invariably deviates from the moment you unpause. Besides, even if I do usually play as an Orthodox Christian of some description, it'd be interesting to see the spread of Christianity ahistorically reversed and total pagan map domination. And clashes between Islam and Norse Paganism are sure to be interesting, given their mutually aggressive ways.

Last edited:
There shouldn't... Italy was brought into the HRE legally by marriage of Otto I and Queen Adelaide and effectively by Otto's invasion to subdue the land. Scripting an event for that will be serious railroading. Middle Francia, Lotharingia, Burgundy, or whatever you wanna call it, was divided between kings of the West and East also by force, when king Lothair II died heirless. So all this can be handled by usual inheritance and usurp/claim mechanics.

Plus, that goes more into Vicky II/HOI mechanics of "okay, so you ABSOLUTELY have this guy ruling, and you'll get the significant event markers. Denying, accepting or a little change of accepting of these events, and the world is changed through those interactions."

But, being CKII, it should be you do the action. HRE takes part in an invasion of Italy, Basil takes an invasion against the Middle East, the Vikings begin assaulting the Wes, etc

I like the navigatable rivers. I do wish some PI would add some kind of ship combat. It's weird that the enemy can land troops on a coast while I have 300 ships laying there.

I like the navigatable rivers. I do wish some PI would add some kind of ship combat. It's weird that the enemy can land troops on a coast while I have 300 ships laying there.

Think how it felt when it happened in real life. (no, not joking, amphibious landings were just that hard to stop during the time period which is an influence on a number of wars that happened during the period).