• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's time for another cycle of developer diaries on Crusader Kings II and I thought I'd begin by talking about the new start date and giving you a broad overview of the upcoming expansion; The Old Gods. Yes, we're pushing back the earliest possible start date to 867 AD. This is a special bookmark that comes with the expansion (and you will not be able to start at dates between 867 and 1066 without modding.)

Europe is a very different place in 867... Many of the familiar countries have not yet come into being. There is no Hungary, no Poland, no Russian principalities and the British Isles and Scandinavia are full of petty kingdoms. The Carolingians still rule the Franks, but the great Empire of Charlemagne has been divided between four of his descendants. In the Byzantine Empire, a new dynasty has just risen - the House of Makedon - destined to restore some of its former glory. The Muslims are in the middle of a drawn-out crisis as the once enormous Abbasid Caliphate has fractured, with a succession of Caliphs being murdered by their own Turkish generals.

CKII_ToG_DD_01_Europe_867.png

Most importantly, however, the North and East are completely dominated by bustling tribes of unrepentant heathens who remain less than impressed with the White Christ. Why debase yourself before a dead man on a cross when you can loot the riches of his fat clergy instead? Just as the fury of the Northmen descends on the undefended shores of Europe, other, equally pagan threats are on the rise in the steppes of Tartaria. Like the Avars before them, the feared Magyar horse lords are pushing into Europe from beyond the Carpathians. Why is all this more important than the affairs of Christians and Muslims? Because with The Old Gods, all these heathens are finally playable! (But you probably knew that already. :D )

CKII_ToG_DD_01_Magyar_Invasion.png

Playing a pagan chieftain is at least as different as playing a Muslim. Not only that, there are significant differences between the various heathen religions. Some are aggressive in nature, like the Norse and Tengri beliefs, and some are more defensive, like the Finno-Ugric faith. For example, the warlike Norse will suffer a prestige loss for being at peace for too long, and will need to wage war or set sail to pillage and loot. The Finns don't have this problem, but on the other hand, their vassals will dislike having their troops raised (like Christians). Some faiths get defensive bonuses and larger garrisons in their homelands, some don't, etc. However, they can all potentially be reformed to withstand the allure of the new religions.

CKII_ToG_DD_01_The_Great_Heathen_Army.png

In the coming weeks, I will explain the different religions in detail. I will, of course, also talk about other new features, like traversible rivers, new cultures, Zoroastrians, Adventurers, and much more. Stay tuned, and here are some more screenshots to tease and titillate!

CKII_ToG_DD_01_Loot_and_Pillage.pngCKII_ToG_DD_01_Varangians.pngCKII_ToG_DD_01_The_Last_Zoroastrians.png

[video=youtube;V-edUnWQgyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-edUnWQgyM[/video]

Web page: http://www.crusaderkings.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Crusaderkings
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Crusaderkings

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, will British Isles be Orthodox or Catholic at the start, btw? (If we start as divided Christianity.)

It should be Orthodox, if I'm not mistaken (and Ireland should be Orthodox in 1066, I think).

It should be Orthodox, if I'm not mistaken (and Ireland should be Orthodox in 1066, I think).

They had pretty much thier own flavour of Christianity and it certainly wasn't alike to the Greek rite, so will this really be a legit thing to do?

What do you think about the representation of the Slavic lands?

Hm, will British Isles be Orthodox or Catholic at the start, btw? (If we start as divided Christianity.)

Orthodox? I never heard of that, Celtic Christianity did have some own practices, but the authority of Rome and the Papacy were venerated at a same level as in other parts of Catholic Europe.

Orthodox? I never heard of that, Celtic Christianity did have some own practices, but the authority of Rome and the Papacy were venerated at a same level as in other parts of Catholic Europe.

Well, I just mean "not yet Catholic". Because in the game it will likely be Catholic or Orthodox.

They had pretty much thier own flavour of Christianity and it certainly wasn't alike to the Greek rite, so will this really be a legit thing to do?

What do you think about the representation of the Slavic lands?

I can't say much about those lands, I really want to see culture and religion map.

Well, I just mean "not yet Catholic".

While officially the Great Schism didn't yet happen, the western and eastern Christianities were politically divided at least since Charlemagne and in 867 are different enough that they can be separated into Catholic and Orthodox. A good example are the Rus: Vladimir considered two Churches separate long before the Schism actually happened.

While officially the Great Schism didn't yet happen, the western and eastern Christianities were politically divided at least since Charlemagne and in 867 are different enough that they can be separated into Catholic and Orthodox.

Yep. But my point is that Ireland/British Isles weren't yet Catholic at the time. Or am I wrong?

Exactly. How legit according to you are the two blobs named Holmgardr and Koenugardr instead of a dozen of Slavic pagan tribes?

That's why I want to see culture map. Maybe they made several tribes this way and melting pot to make Russian culture will start soon enough from the start.

I think they will explain situation in Rus in later DD.

They had been for centuries.

Eh, at that start date? Really? Wikipedia says it was only from 1154, but I'm not an expert on Ireland.