• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well folks, Yuletide is almost upon us and the expansion Sons of Abraham has now been out for a few weeks. It is, in other words, a good time for some general - and possibly disorganized - "post mortem" thoughts.

Sons of Abraham is a special expansion because it's the first of the "phase 2" cycle of expansions for Crusader Kings II, and it was also mostly made by a new team who approached the game with new eyes and fresh ideas (the old team having moved on to another project.) The irrepressible Groogy (Henrik Hansson) championed the College of Cardinals and made it great, and Tobias "The Witch-King" Bodlund wrote most of the new events and the pilgrimages. Martin "Wiz" Anward took a crack at the AI and Alexander Ivannikov fixed bugs and started improving the network code. I couldn't quite keep my hands off though, so I snuck some crazy stuff in myself (something about evil babies...)

Interestingly, while this expansion really focuses on Christian gameplay, it appeared to receive the most attention for the playable Jews (in hindsight, the name Sons of Abraham was probably a tad misleading) and the fact that you can borrow money from the Jewish community only to then expel them from the realm. As you know, if you expel the Jews, you lose the benefits of having skilled Jewish councillors, and your dynasty loses the ability to borrow money, which will hurt you in the long run. Even so, this mechanic was something we knew would be controversial. However, I maintain that it was the right thing to do because the feature brings attention to a sordid chapter in European history while at the same time highlighting the learning, productivity and enterprising spirit of the Jewish communities.

To be perfectly honest, when designing Sons of Abraham, it was quite hard to determine which features should (and could!) go into the expansion and which features should be put into the free patch. This is always tough, and it reminded me a lot of Legacy of Rome, which, like SoA (not counting Jews) did not unlock a new type of playable entity. There were some things we really wanted to address and improve upon, but core gameplay changes are not suitable for an expansion; we want such things to be available for all players! The College of Cardinals, though, was perfect expansion material; it's not something you have to bother with at all, but it can definitely give you an edge and provide you with some interesting new options. In contrast, for example, terrain bottlenecks affect the game at a fundamental level and had to go into the patch.

In the end, we added a lot of rather unobtrusive features to the expansion, like pilgrimages and religious events. This is a bit of a catch-22, since non-essential features - regardless of how many there are or how much work they require - are not as sexy and eye-catching, but if we made them more central we could not put them in the expansion. What we've taken away from this conundrum is that future expansions will either have to unlock new areas of the game or feature more noticeable (graphically or through sheer weight of content) stuff.

Another lesson learned was the rocky launch of patch 2.0. As Paradox Development Studio grows, with several games and expansions in development at the same time, our quality assurance process is getting overloaded, and it is sometimes unbelievable what you folks discover in 10 minutes that our beta testers and QA team have not found in weeks. (That's why I love open beta patches and would like to rely on them more.) Anyway, we have hired more people for the QA team and will also increase the size of the beta test group; we don't release buggy games and have no intention of releasing buggy expansions either.

This brings me to the upcoming patch 2.0.2, which is currently available as an open beta patch to Steam users (which has already helped us identify a few more issues.) The main focus of this patch is to fix old bugs and annoyances, address some fundamental issues with antipopes and to flesh out the Jews a bit more. Here are the highlights (the full change log is in the beta patch post):
  • Added a "Depose Antipope" Casus Belli
  • Added an "Antiking" faction. The leader usurps the liege's primary title, deposes the antipope and passes papal investiture. The Pope can be called into the resulting war.
  • Jewish councillors now have special tech spread events
  • Now possible to play in Ironman mode with the ruler designer and mods (but you won't get achievements)
  • Significantly reduced the amount of event-spawned troops across the board to better reflect the rebalanced levies
  • Added trait "Battlefield Terrain Master"
  • Added special Jewish buildings
  • Added special Jewish retinue
To round this little dev diary off, as you probably know, we are dropping all support for the GamersGate version of the game after this patch. The GG version is too much trouble to maintain and is holding us back from having decent multiplayer, achievements for everyone, etc. GamersGate users need not despair however; we are hard at work getting Steam keys ready for you (including, of course, all DLC), and hope to have that done before year's end!

That's it for now, you can read all the devdiaries for CK2:SoA here! The next expansion will be announced in late January and the accompanying patch 2.1 will feature Steam Workshop and MP matchmaking, among many other things. Until next time, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! (And a special thanks to our beta testers and everyone who keeps Crusader Kings II development alive by buying the expansions!)

Last edited:
This is awesome to hear from the project lead. I also want to add my voice to the people who pretty much exclusively play single player. Now, I'm not completely opposed to multiplayer, its just that I dont really have anyone to play with, & my schedule doesnt lend itself to multiplayer very well. So far, after hundreds of hours in Paradox games, I havent played multiplayer once. Not one time. I've watched a few of Arumba's MP games on Youtube, & while it does look like fun, as I said I dont have anyone to play with. ;)

So yea, make sure the single player game stays strong!! I would assume that if you could poll everyone who plays CK2 (not just the people who post on the boards) that most people are like me. We buy the game & love playing it but pretty much only play single player....

+1 for busy schedules. If the single-player aspect ever goes away or even slips noticeably, I just wouldn't have a way to play Paradox games.

According to the information on steam, the Linux version of CK2 requires 1GB graphic memory versus the 512MB required for the MAC and Windows version. It's not a problem for my new rig but what has made the difference? Do Linux versions of games in general require more hardware resources than their MAC/Windows counterparts? Thanks
Linux and Mac use OpenGL video drivers, whereas Windows uses DirectX which as a standard is far more polished and efficient (unfortunately! - I say as a Mac and Linux user myself).

I've played CK2 just fine with a 512MB GPU on Linux (Radeon 4850). The system requirements listed on Steam are quite conservative.
Yes they are, and under-spec video cards (esp Mac laptops with only 256 or 384mb of Vram) cope with CK2 fairly well in general - EU4 not so much. CK2's map is much smaller that EU4's, and there are overall many fewer entities for the game to keep track of.

However, as they say 'past performance is no guarantee of future returns'. Were CK2 to have a large map expansion in a future DLC for instance, this may no longer be true.

The next expansion will be announced in late January and the accompanying patch 2.1 will feature Steam Workshop and MP matchmaking, among many other things. Until next time, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! (And a special thanks to our beta testers and everyone who keeps Crusader Kings II development alive by buying the expansions!)

Thank you, I eagerly await for this. Last night I decided to try out multiplayer only to discovered I had to leap through hoops and use third party software to jury-rig it into a playable state. Not the best experience.

Paradox can we please have an event chain where characters with the improve martial ambition can get into mixed martial arts? You could have your character challenge courtiers and even rival rulers to MMA bouts for gold and prestige.

To round this little dev diary off, as you probably know, we are dropping all support for the GamersGate version of the game after this patch. The GG version is too much trouble to maintain and is holding us back from having decent multiplayer, achievements for everyone, etc. GamersGate users need not despair however; we are hard at work getting Steam keys ready for you (including, of course, all DLC), and hope to have that done before year's end!

You guys have been my favorite video game company for a long time, and I've loved several of your games. You've always continued to put a lot of great effort on your games after release and supported players who wanted to get as much as possible out of the game -- instead of trying to get the money and run, and instead of always obsessing the customers you don't have at the expense caring about the ones you do have.

It's been a good run -- thanks for all the hours of enjoyment.

This is awesome to hear from the project lead. I also want to add my voice to the people who pretty much exclusively play single player. Now, I'm not completely opposed to multiplayer, its just that I dont really have anyone to play with, & my schedule doesnt lend itself to multiplayer very well. So far, after hundreds of hours in Paradox games, I havent played multiplayer once. Not one time. I've watched a few of Arumba's MP games on Youtube, & while it does look like fun, as I said I dont have anyone to play with. ;)

So yea, make sure the single player game stays strong!! I would assume that if you could poll everyone who plays CK2 (not just the people who post on the boards) that most people are like me. We buy the game & love playing it but pretty much only play single player....

Same here, and it's good to hear at least one company isn't entirely caught up in the "games as a social event" craze.

Linux and Mac use OpenGL video drivers, whereas Windows uses DirectX which as a standard is far more polished and efficient (unfortunately! - I say as a Mac and Linux user myself).

Linux though is starting to get decent Drivers which is making me very happy since I play CK2 on Linux :)

yeah ... Valves steambox have certainly lit a fire under the development of drivers for linux, moving towards parity with DirectX (or at least a much slimmer gap).

Well ... we know from a comment there were somewhere in SoA dev diary (can't remember if it was Groogy or Doomdark that mentioned it), that Dedacance should be in the process of being retuned if not out right reworked ... any ETA on this (say ... 2.1)?

You mean: LIEGE_LEVY_SIZE_MULTIPLIER = 0.5?

as far as i understand, that is an general multiplier for every subvassel of one of your vassels. IIRC, if you ahve an vassel king, it also halves for counts being under dukes ect. which isnt covered by this.

if im wrong, jsut ignore me while i crawl back to my cave in shame. i really need to go map the defines better as obviousdly i wasnt as up to date as i thought i was:p

The game's approaching two years of age and yet Paradox is still developing substantial patches and well thought out downloadable content. And making honest retrospectives like this.

They deserve a round of applause.

I've played CK2 just fine with a 512MB GPU on Linux (Radeon 4850). The system requirements listed on Steam are quite conservative.

Linux though is starting to get decent Drivers which is making me very happy since I play CK2 on Linux :)

yeah ... Valves steambox have certainly lit a fire under the development of drivers for linux, moving towards parity with DirectX (or at least a much slimmer gap).

Thank you all for the information. I took some time to read about the history of OpenGL and Direct3D, very intriguing stuff.

Now I realise that Valve's Linux initiatives, in particular Steam OS and Steam Box, could potentially trigger the transformation of Linux into a mature gaming platform (which in turn just might propel Linux's desktop market share to some critical threshold ... one can dream).

Perhaps I should have done more homework before building my new rig and at the same time making the decision to switch to Linux, but it wasn't a difficult decision. After all, it's an interesting time for the PC market, and it will be a rewarding journey regardless of how things unfold.

If theocracies and inland republics will never see a DLC, is there any chance that the hard-coded behavior of the game booting you out will be exported to defines or something similar?

Really love these "Post Mortem" threads, though I HATE the use of mortem, because the release does not signify death. Might I suggest, post exitam (after going out)? If my latin needs adjustment forgive me.

I'm one that's not interested at all in 'fleshes out' DLCs like this one. To me the 'must buy' DLCs are the ones where I feel I'm playing a different game, so the Muslims with their decadence, the Republics with their mechanics, The Old Gods were must buy. So yes, new DLCs would have to open something new and significant.

GamersGate users need not despair however; we are hard at work getting Steam keys ready for you (including, of course, all DLC), and hope to have that done before year's end!

Applauds! Do what you want and need to. This act allow maintains my faithful feudal oath.

I like the open beta for patches to catch glitches, I think that works all around.

As for dropping GG, I get why you're doing that, and I appreciate you making it possible to move all the DLCs. One concern I have, as someone with many DLCs, is there a way to simplify this? Yeah, yeah, paste a Code and all is not back-breaking, but with 15-20 (I have all but a couple) it's kind of a chore. Could they be grouped? if you have all of Batch #1 you get one code for all of them? If you own all of them you get one code to rule them all?

Seriously, I'd probably buy everything I don't own if I could put in one code for all DLCs.