• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well folks, Yuletide is almost upon us and the expansion Sons of Abraham has now been out for a few weeks. It is, in other words, a good time for some general - and possibly disorganized - "post mortem" thoughts.

Sons of Abraham is a special expansion because it's the first of the "phase 2" cycle of expansions for Crusader Kings II, and it was also mostly made by a new team who approached the game with new eyes and fresh ideas (the old team having moved on to another project.) The irrepressible Groogy (Henrik Hansson) championed the College of Cardinals and made it great, and Tobias "The Witch-King" Bodlund wrote most of the new events and the pilgrimages. Martin "Wiz" Anward took a crack at the AI and Alexander Ivannikov fixed bugs and started improving the network code. I couldn't quite keep my hands off though, so I snuck some crazy stuff in myself (something about evil babies...)

Interestingly, while this expansion really focuses on Christian gameplay, it appeared to receive the most attention for the playable Jews (in hindsight, the name Sons of Abraham was probably a tad misleading) and the fact that you can borrow money from the Jewish community only to then expel them from the realm. As you know, if you expel the Jews, you lose the benefits of having skilled Jewish councillors, and your dynasty loses the ability to borrow money, which will hurt you in the long run. Even so, this mechanic was something we knew would be controversial. However, I maintain that it was the right thing to do because the feature brings attention to a sordid chapter in European history while at the same time highlighting the learning, productivity and enterprising spirit of the Jewish communities.

To be perfectly honest, when designing Sons of Abraham, it was quite hard to determine which features should (and could!) go into the expansion and which features should be put into the free patch. This is always tough, and it reminded me a lot of Legacy of Rome, which, like SoA (not counting Jews) did not unlock a new type of playable entity. There were some things we really wanted to address and improve upon, but core gameplay changes are not suitable for an expansion; we want such things to be available for all players! The College of Cardinals, though, was perfect expansion material; it's not something you have to bother with at all, but it can definitely give you an edge and provide you with some interesting new options. In contrast, for example, terrain bottlenecks affect the game at a fundamental level and had to go into the patch.

In the end, we added a lot of rather unobtrusive features to the expansion, like pilgrimages and religious events. This is a bit of a catch-22, since non-essential features - regardless of how many there are or how much work they require - are not as sexy and eye-catching, but if we made them more central we could not put them in the expansion. What we've taken away from this conundrum is that future expansions will either have to unlock new areas of the game or feature more noticeable (graphically or through sheer weight of content) stuff.

Another lesson learned was the rocky launch of patch 2.0. As Paradox Development Studio grows, with several games and expansions in development at the same time, our quality assurance process is getting overloaded, and it is sometimes unbelievable what you folks discover in 10 minutes that our beta testers and QA team have not found in weeks. (That's why I love open beta patches and would like to rely on them more.) Anyway, we have hired more people for the QA team and will also increase the size of the beta test group; we don't release buggy games and have no intention of releasing buggy expansions either.

This brings me to the upcoming patch 2.0.2, which is currently available as an open beta patch to Steam users (which has already helped us identify a few more issues.) The main focus of this patch is to fix old bugs and annoyances, address some fundamental issues with antipopes and to flesh out the Jews a bit more. Here are the highlights (the full change log is in the beta patch post):
  • Added a "Depose Antipope" Casus Belli
  • Added an "Antiking" faction. The leader usurps the liege's primary title, deposes the antipope and passes papal investiture. The Pope can be called into the resulting war.
  • Jewish councillors now have special tech spread events
  • Now possible to play in Ironman mode with the ruler designer and mods (but you won't get achievements)
  • Significantly reduced the amount of event-spawned troops across the board to better reflect the rebalanced levies
  • Added trait "Battlefield Terrain Master"
  • Added special Jewish buildings
  • Added special Jewish retinue
To round this little dev diary off, as you probably know, we are dropping all support for the GamersGate version of the game after this patch. The GG version is too much trouble to maintain and is holding us back from having decent multiplayer, achievements for everyone, etc. GamersGate users need not despair however; we are hard at work getting Steam keys ready for you (including, of course, all DLC), and hope to have that done before year's end!

That's it for now, you can read all the devdiaries for CK2:SoA here! The next expansion will be announced in late January and the accompanying patch 2.1 will feature Steam Workshop and MP matchmaking, among many other things. Until next time, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! (And a special thanks to our beta testers and everyone who keeps Crusader Kings II development alive by buying the expansions!)

Last edited:
Very slim. The map projection is indeed weird, but we will not be changing it. If we ever do CKIII however, I would definitely push for a better projection.

Oh well, ye can't have it all, otherwise we would've gotten a Martian Invasion DLC already =[.

The factions are not expansion material. It is possible we will improve on the system in a patch though.

But this is certainly worthy of a <3 and thumbs up. :)

Thanks for the great work so far, but is there any chance the schools of thought feature added to Muslims in SoA will be improved, I mean it's the one thing new for Muslims and they couldn't even get the names right, mutazile and ashari were heresies not schools of thought, and besides there was little difference between them except with their views regarding the Divine Attributes.

Last edited:
IF you ever do a CKIII?!

Oh please just promise us that you will right now so we can sleep soundly knowing the future looks bright!
CK2 and V2 were the same "If we ever do this, we want to do XYZ different, and add features DEF now that we can with Engine Δ+1".
And, AFAIK, both V2 and CK2 got their expansions.

I wouldn't be too afraid, honestly.

As for the update - thanks! I'm a bit sad that you're moving to Steam, but in the end I can't fault you for it, and the way you do it is clear, honest and appropiate. I like that your style Paradox, never change how you handle your service.
As for QA, I think you need that more organised. After a few years, it seems to pop up every once in a while.
I can't be certain, but it seems you forget every 3-4 years.:unsure:

Last edited:
Great Post Mortem post. Very honest and to my liking.

Doomdark does the word MP matchmaking refer to a multiplayer system similar to that of EU IV and through steam?

Seriously, thank you guys for your work. You live in the same world we do, and you know what the video game industry looks like right now. It is a sea of uninspired, mediocrity. Games like CK2 and companies like Paradox are the rarest out there. Thanks, again.

Also, feudal system revamp dlc do it do it do it do it. <3

So we will be getting dedicated servers?

If they implement it the same way as they did EU4 i reckon we are.

P.S. Even tho i had little time to play the dlc since it came out, i'm still glad i bought it. You people are awesome.

I was expecting GG version to get axed after EUIV became Steam only, so I'm not really surprised for it. Nice to hear that I'm getting steam codes for all the stuff I've bought, so the change shouldn't be too hard.

Have you given any thought to revising how levies filter up the feudal chain? Under the current system, people are annoyed at how each vassal splits the holding's manpower 50/50 with their liege, but it's hard to find a number for this that doesn't screw over Count vassals too much. It probably needs to be made into a more dynamic system so that having duke vassals isn't so punishing anymore yet counts can still prosecute petty wars.

Your DLC is always rock. The new contents in each DLC never stop to amaze me. But I think you guy went a little bit overboard with the free patch. Something as big as levies nerf or archbishop ban deserves an open beta to estimate the reception of players.

What we've taken away from this conundrum is that future expansions will either have to unlock new areas of the game or feature more noticeable (graphically or through sheer weight of content) stuff.

Can I take this as there might be new playable entities will get unlocked in the next DLC.

Still no Beta-Israels?
Not even as courtiers?

I second the adding of Beta Israel courtiers in Abyssinia. Would be nice.

I am officially in love with Paradox now.

I absolutely love these posts on the boards where they admit what went wrong & say exactly what they are doing to fix it. I cant ask for anything more from a game company! (Ok, I admit I would love for them to announce every project they are working on & not have any "secret" projects, but I understand the reasons why they cant. :) )

Please keep up the great work Paradox, & I'll keep throwing you guys money for these awesome games (& expansions!) as long as you keep making them!

Oh well, ye can't have it all, otherwise we would've gotten a Martian Invasion DLC already =[.

In effect, we already did.

My fear is that in the effort to expand and support multiplayer, achievements, etc will force the abandonment of the single-player experience, just as the effort at expanding and supporting these things has forced Paradox to abandon Gamers Gate.

Over my dead body. (Seriously, you need not worry about that. :) )

This is awesome to hear from the project lead. I also want to add my voice to the people who pretty much exclusively play single player. Now, I'm not completely opposed to multiplayer, its just that I dont really have anyone to play with, & my schedule doesnt lend itself to multiplayer very well. So far, after hundreds of hours in Paradox games, I havent played multiplayer once. Not one time. I've watched a few of Arumba's MP games on Youtube, & while it does look like fun, as I said I dont have anyone to play with. ;)

So yea, make sure the single player game stays strong!! I would assume that if you could poll everyone who plays CK2 (not just the people who post on the boards) that most people are like me. We buy the game & love playing it but pretty much only play single player....

P.S. According to the information on steam, the Linux version of CK2 requires 1GB graphic memory versus the 512MB required for the MAC and Windows version. It's not a problem for my new rig but what has made the difference? Do Linux versions of games in general require more hardware resources than their MAC/Windows counterparts? Thanks

I've played CK2 just fine with a 512MB GPU on Linux (Radeon 4850). The system requirements listed on Steam are quite conservative.