• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Folks, the Bengal tiger has been out of the bag for a week now, so I think it's time for the first dev diary on Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India! In this first entry, I will just give you a quick overview of what this new expansion to Crusader Kings II is and what it is not. In the weeks to come, I will cover each feature in detail.

First of all, why India? Well, it's always been a long-term goal of mine, and we have gone through the obvious stuff by now. The old eastern edge of the map is suboptimal, both politically and geographically. Many powerful states that interacted with Europe are cut in half, not to mention that the southeastern corner of the map is unhistorically dull. In general, adding India will make the whole Middle East more interesting to play. Most importantly though, India is such a dynamic and fascinating region!

ck2_RoI_dd_01_The_New_East.png

Now, there has been some speculation about how the map will be handled exactly, and the answer is simply that we are extending it far to the east. It's not a separate map or anything like that. This means that everyone who owns the game will be able to interact with, (and conquer!) India, whether they own Rajas of India or not.

In order to extend the map and try keep the wasteland areas to a minimum while at the same time making sure India was big enough, we had to twist the entire eastern part of the old map. While the new map projection is no more realistic per se, we did seize this opportunity to correct some fairly major problems with the old map, especially around the Caspian and Aral seas. The addition of all this new territory also meant we could finally put many provinces in their correct place (we had tended to crowd the eastern edge of the old map with provinces that were actually off map, due to their importance.) Apart from all the new Indian provinces, we have also added provinces in central Siberia, Transoxania and Afghanistan. So far, I think we're at about 330 new provinces, bringing the total count up to 1442 (including all sea zones), and it's likely we'll add some more before we're done.

ck2_RoI_dd_01_Corrected_Caspian.png ck2_RoI_dd_01_Siberia.png

Best of all, none of this will cost you a dime. However, if you wish to play as a Hindu, Buddhist or Jain ruler - with all the associated mechanics, graphics and events - you will have to buy the expansion. You really don't want to miss out on things like reincarnation, holy cows, levitating monks, Thuggees and tiger hunts! Oh, and there will be a unique set of Indian portraits included in Rajas of India.

Can the game really handle all these new characters and provinces without slowing to a crawl? Yes. Actually, memory usage was the bigger issue, but we've comfortably reduced that by more than 300Mb, which allows us to add all the extra characters. We've also optimized the game for speed, but it might end up running a bit slower than before (though it should only be noticeable on speed 5 unless you have an ancient rig.) I should also mention that due to the drastic changes we are making to the game, old save games will not remain compatible with version 2.1! However, version 2.0.4 will remain available as a beta branch on Steam.

That's all for today folks! Peace.

ck2_RoI_dd_01_Indus.png

[video=youtube;TBQmY4TKUrc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBQmY4TKUrc[/video]

Last edited:
Yeah, but what about the countless other start dates though?

The region was not ruled by China directly at any of CKII's start dates to my knowledge, unless you count the Mongols or Khitan as a Chinese dynasty. Until the coming of the Khitan they were ruled by Uighur successor states to the Uighur khanate/ex,pier, after they became vassals of the Khitan and then Mongols.

They really shouldn't start with a de jure Empire of Arabia for balance reasons.

Agreed 100%. Give them the Sultanate of Syria or Mesopotamia, or both, and that should be enough.

Pala Empire...so small?

It was not less than 20 years ago from Old God start date that they controlled half of India, especially the area that Paradox gave to Gurjar Pratiharas. It also didn't lose the pink area in Afghanistan so early on, though history of the loss of western provinces of the Pala are somewhat blur. The regions that they didn't control would be southern India (except for eastern coast), the Thar Desert area and Sindh (lost to Umayyads and then again to Abbasids).

The classical bureaucratic society held on until about 880s and then feudalism began to appear, although Palas still controlled most of northern India. And then it began to break away piece-by-piece and Gurjar-Pratiharas popped up.

Will we be able to reform the Pala Empire, or some other classical Indian Empire like the monstrously powerful giant named Mauryan Empire, or the second giant empire which was Gupta Empire (although it was more peace-and-culture-focused than Mauryans)?

Last edited:
Agreed 100%. Give them the Sultanate of Syria or Mesopotamia, or both, and that should be enough.

I'd have two different branches of the Abbassid dynasty controlling both; similar to the Karling situation in Europe.

@Will Steel - Doomdark promised to show de jure maps in the future; until then we really don't know which way Paradox will jump. They could form "past de jure" territories or go with "proto-future" territories and since they have done both at the same time I don't even want to guess.

The region was not ruled by China directly at any of CKII's start dates to my knowledge, unless you count the Mongols or Khitan as a Chinese dynasty. Until the coming of the Khitan they were ruled by Uighur successor states to the Uighur khanate/ex,pier, after they became vassals of the Khitan and then Mongols.

I would guess the expanded "Turkestan" will enable plenty of different dynasties/cultures/religions to pop up there. But it all remains to be seen.

This is beautiful beyond any words....

I would guess the expanded "Turkestan" will enable plenty of different dynasties/cultures/religions to pop up there. But it all remains to be seen.

Yeah, maybe in a future DLC, like a Silk Road or Manichean one, it all had to be seen.

I always kind of wished that paradox would create a grand strategy game set in asia, so I’m really looking forward to this.

A Japanese conversion of CK2 could be great, even despite the existence of Sengoku.

A Japanese conversion of CK2 could be great, even despite the existence of Sengoku.

Currently in existence, check out Chatnoir17's mod, currently a WIP.

Really looking forward to this, having just gotten back from a 2 week stay in Ahmedabad. I'm eager to see Paradox's take on how power was consolidated/maintained/lost in this region during this time through the lens of CK2. Like some of the others in the thread I'm a bit nervous about the tiger hunts and levitating monks line, but every other bit of information so far points toward a realistic approach that considers what makes India unique without turning it into a ridiculous mystical caricature.

Really looking forward to this, having just gotten back from a 2 week stay in Ahmedabad. I'm eager to see Paradox's take on how power was consolidated/maintained/lost in this region during this time through the lens of CK2. Like some of the others in the thread I'm a bit nervous about the tiger hunts and levitating monks line, but every other bit of information so far points toward a realistic approach that considers what makes India unique without turning it into a ridiculous mystical caricature.

The announcement of 'reincarnation' and 'levitation' has me worried. There is a good possibility that they will handle it without problems, yet there is a chance that it will break the game for Hindu/Buddhist/Jain rulers. I always thought 'speaking in tongues' trait (or whatever it's real name is) already implies being under control of a ghost of an angry ancestor.

Also, weather in Ahmedabad would be very weird these days. :p

It seems like they just barely avoided Chinese control of the Tarim Basin with the 867 start date. I hope we get the Tocharian culture though, that died out right around 867 and I enjoy conquering the world with little-known Indo-European cultures.

While the new map projection is no more realistic per se, we did seize this opportunity to correct some fairly major problems with the old map, especially around the Caspian and Aral seas. The addition of all this new territory also meant we could finally put many provinces in their correct place

Since you are changing the map itself for this expansion, will you also fix the old error with Trøndelag/Naumadal? Or do you just keep that in there to stick it to us Norwegians...?