• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question, thanks for the help.

I am HRE, 769 start, going for the full game achievement. It's year 1046. I am Agnatic Cognatic Princely Elective. How do I keep kingdoms under my belt? I can't make them Princely Elective, I only have simple Elective. If I destroy them, my vassals create them, and I have too strong vassals.

Also, how can I give them as viceroyalties

I don't understand what you're even trying to do here. A vassal holding a kingdom title as a viceroyalty is no less strong than the same vassal holding normally. And a few king-level vassals, even if relatively strong, are easier to manage than a bunch of dukes and counts. If you're an Emperor, you should want king-level vassals, granted that having them as viceroyalties instead of the titles being hereditary does have some advantages.

Viceroyalties are never elective. When the holder dies they automatically return to his liege. Then can also be revoked tyranny-free at any time. :)

If you have an elective system in a non-viceroyalty kingdom then the succession for that title would be handled according to that elective system.
Example. I have Imperial Elective in HRE 769 and Kingdom of Germany, Elective Monarchy. I set up heir X to get both, using favors, money etc. I give the kingdom of Germany as a viceroyalty. During the viceroyalty, I have no control to see who is the heir in the elective kingdom, so if my heir loses the majority to heir Y because electors change their mind or my favors expire, and I die, the kingdom goes to heir Y, without me getting any input to it. I am not even warned by the change.

I was wondering if there is any workaround in such a system, because I love the HRE elective.

Example. I have Imperial Elective in HRE 769 and Kingdom of Germany, Elective Monarchy. I set up heir X to get both, using favors, money etc. I give the kingdom of Germany as a viceroyalty. During the viceroyalty, I have no control to see who is the heir in the elective kingdom, so if my heir loses the majority to heir Y because electors change their mind or my favors expire, and I die, the kingdom goes to heir Y, without me getting any input to it. I am not even warned by the change.

I was wondering if there is any workaround in such a system, because I love the HRE elective.
When you give the kingdom of Germany out as a viceroyalty it stops being an elective kingdom and just becomes a viceroyalty, with the succession system as described above - i.e. on the holder's death it reverts to the liege. :)

Reactions:
Hello,

After many years away, I've started playing this again. I used to play vanilla, but I moved up to SoA and now I'm on patch 2.3.6 (WoL). Both are active.
I started a game as King of Poland - 1066. The Duke of Greater Poland loaded up with 3 counties, not ambitious, only red trait Pride. So I thought best to secure him as an ally and cushioned him up nicely to an opinion of 94. To my surprise he joined the faction of another duke, his opinion of him being 0.
Why would this be the case? Has there been changes made through patches that I'm not aware of?
Thanks.

When you give the kingdom of Germany out as a viceroyalty it stops being an elective kingdom and just becomes a viceroyalty, with the succession system as described above - i.e. on the holder's death it reverts to the liege. :)
Am I right, or this is a way you can cheat the succession laws? As long as you know when you die :D

1) Any way to increase mouse speed over the GUI settings limit? E.g. in the config files? Playing at hi res and it's so slooow (I can increase it system wide, but that messes with me using the OS)

2) Any way to increase the font size or change the Console font? Even modding files? I have UI scaling on, Bigger Interface mods but the console is still so tiny it's unreadable. Thanks!

Am I right, or this is a way you can cheat the succession laws? As long as you know when you die :D
That's a pretty big if! :D But in a way, yes. Since the kingdom will always at some point return to the liege, as long as you control who the liege is you will control who will eventually end up with the kingdom on the holder's death. :)

Returned to CK2 after over a year's absence and with some new DLC purchased - one of the new bells and whistles is this restrict marriage function for your offspring so you can dictate who they marry even after you've landed them. At least, that's what I read. In this game both my heir and his bride are 18 and they are still betrothed (I arranged the betrothal when they were both 12). I am not being given the option to marry them, despite having the restrict marriage box ticked for my heir. Can anyone explain what's happened please and how to get the marriage started?
Marriage.jpg

Returned to CK2 after over a year's absence and with some new DLC purchased - one of the new bells and whistles is this restrict marriage function for your offspring so you can dictate who they marry even after you've landed them. At least, that's what I read. In this game both my heir and his bride are 18 and they are still betrothed (I arranged the betrothal when they were both 12). I am not being given the option to marry them, despite having the restrict marriage box ticked for my heir. Can anyone explain what's happened please and how to get the marriage started?View attachment 643145

It looks like he's imprisoned. He won't be able to get married until he's released or ransomed.

Reactions:
Can tributaries under the Western Protectorate (like Seljuk Empire at 100% decadence) get a decadence revolt?

I am not 100% certain, but I believe that they can get decadence revolts. (Because they are "independent" as far as the game is concerned - tributary status shouldn't affect this.)

Do decadence revolts only attack independent rulers?

This is correct - decadence revolts only affect independent rulers.

Reactions:
My character has become duke of Flanders, holding all six counties personally (which I intend to keep through the game, making Flanders into centre of power for the dynasty). What is the meta nowadays with regards to provincial development? Does one still want to fill the counties with cities for all the money, is a mix of castles and cities viable and plausible? Should the duke keep all six counties under direct rule or keep just Brugge for himself and fill it with castles for all the levies? Or maybe a different strategy altogether?

I am not 100% certain, but I believe that they can get decadence revolts. (Because they are "independent" as far as the game is concerned - tributary status shouldn't affect this.)

I have a feeling that tributaries can't get decadence revolts. Seljuk was at 100% for about a year and it could trigger before that. They were gaining about .9 a month so that's like 3 years without it firing at 75% or over. Their decadence later dropped to 64% so nothing happened to them except a Shia Rising event.

My character has become duke of Flanders, holding all six counties personally (which I intend to keep through the game, making Flanders into centre of power for the dynasty). What is the meta nowadays with regards to provincial development? Does one still want to fill the counties with cities for all the money, is a mix of castles and cities viable and plausible? Should the duke keep all six counties under direct rule or keep just Brugge for himself and fill it with castles for all the levies? Or maybe a different strategy altogether?

Here's my approach (in order of importance):

1. Stack everything in the capital county:
--- Personally own as many castles as possible
--- Build the "great walls" great work there (gives +base levies to each castle)
--- Station your marshal and steward there (gives +x% levies and +y% personal income)
--- Push prosperity until you have all the permanent county modifiers (ie. more juicy +x% modifiers)
--- Build the awesomest hospital (preserves prosperity, boosts tech gain, non-black-death epidemics might never affect your court)
--- Get one of the bloodlines that permits city infrastructure buildings (the only way to get 100% disease resistance)

2. Personally own the county capital in all other counties in your capital duchy.
--- Build decent hospitals in these counties - they probably surround the capital and decent hospitals can sometimes prevent epidemics from bordering your capital.

3. Personally own 1-2 random counties in useful places (eg. silk road trade posts, pagan holy sites for easy conversion, border counties to block vassal expansion).

4. Personally own 1-2 extra baronies in your capital duchy (eg. for cheesing artifact inheritance, claim wars, etc)

5. Fill all other holdings in your capital duchy with cities (because cash is probably more useful than vassal levies)

Reactions:
Here's my approach (in order of importance):
So in my case I build castles in Brugge (the 6-holdings country and my capital) and cities in the other five counties, correct?

So in my case I build castles in Brugge (the 6-holdings country and my capital) and cities in the other five counties, correct?

That's my recommendation.

But this is just the end goal - you won't have enough cash to be able to do all of this instantly (even if you win a couple of crusades) so you're going to have to make choices about what order to do things in.

That's my recommendation.

But this is just the end goal - you won't have enough cash to be able to do all of this instantly (even if you win a couple of crusades) so you're going to have to make choices about what order to do things in.
Yeah, it makes perfect sense, especially with the hospitals costing seven arms and legs. Thanks for your advice!

Does anyone have any advice about how to acquire the Muslim religious artifacts that are highlighted as part of MNM on the wiki e.g. Sword of Muhammed. It seems a lot harder than getting Christian ones (do well in a Crusade and reap the rewards). Winning a Jihad doesn't seem to have a similar effect!