• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
... I play in offline mode generally and went online a month or two ago, game updated through steam ...
October last year was the last proper patch release, the other three were minor hotfixes.
Nothing that should suddenly prevent all content of a mod to load at all or as you said "NONE of it is registering ".

what do you mean by a folder tier too many?

I had to assume you downloaded a packed mod in rar, zip, 7zip formats and unpacked it.
Unpacking can create an additional folder which contains the mod, depending on program, settings, method.
Using that will prevent reading of the mod files, unless the mod folder inside is moved out of it.

PS : Troubleshooting of mods is better suited in the modding quick questions thread.
PS_2 : First you speak of "will still load but its like none of the content is being read. ", now you said "then the mod started crashing on start ".
What now ?

October last year was the last proper patch release, the other three were minor hotfixes.
Nothing that should suddenly prevent all content of a mod to load at all or as you said "NONE of it is registering ".

I had to assume you downloaded a packed mod in rar, zip, 7zip formats and unpacked it.
Unpacking can create an additional folder which contains the mod, depending on program, settings, method.
Using that will prevent reading of the mod files, unless the mod folder inside is moved out of it.

PS : Troubleshooting of mods is better suited in the modding quick questions thread.
PS_2 : First you speak of "will still load but its like none of the content is being read. ", now you said "then the mod started crashing on start ".
What now ?
So initially after i went online and the game updated it would crash on start. Somehow (not sure how) that was fixed. I can check it on the mod list but none of the event or traits are found when i try to add them with the console and the decisions/targeted decisions dont display.

Hello,
Is there a way to vassalize Catholic (king-tier) Pope without anti-pope activity?

I am tribal and not going to adopt fedalism for quite some time, so free investiture does not look like an option. I tried muslim invasion but it simply gave me all holdings and let the Pope free.

EDIT 22/09/20: Actually, the Catholic (and Fraticelli) Popes cannot be vassalised using this method (and are possibly the only people for whom this won't work) - see below.

There is a way, but it requires the special CBs added by the Jade Dragon DLC. (But, according to your profile, you don't have this.)

In brief:
  • Be an emperor
  • Ensure that the Pope's holdings are fully contained in 1 duchy (no extra baronies or counties anywhere)
  • Be de jure liege of that duchy (ie. personally hold the kingdom or empire that de jure contains the duchy)
  • Attack the Pope with the de jure claim on duchy CB, and win
  • A minor bug in the code means that, when you win, you will vassalise everyone in the duchy who cannot "retreat" elsewhere.
    • This is why you have to remove the Pope's holdings outside the duchy - with no holdings/vassals outside the duchy, he has nowhere to go, so he becomes your vassal.
    • The coding in this CB was probably intended so that you directly vassalise dukes with holdings in the area; but in reality it allows you to vassalise characters where vassalisation is normally impossible (eg. kings, mercenaries, religious heads).

Last edited:
Reactions:
There is a way, but it requires the special CBs added by the Jade Dragon DLC. (But, according to your profile, you don't have this.)

In brief:
  • Be an emperor
  • Ensure that the Pope's holdings are fully contained in 1 duchy (no extra baronies or counties anywhere)
  • Be de jure liege of that duchy (ie. personally hold the kingdom or empire that de jure contains the duchy)
  • Attack the Pope with the de jure claim on duchy CB, and win
  • A minor bug in the code means that, when you win, you will vassalise everyone in the duchy who cannot "retreat" elsewhere.
    • This is why you have to remove the Pope's holdings outside the duchy - with no holdings/vassals outside the duchy, he has nowhere to go, so he becomes your vassal.
    • The coding in this CB was probably intended so that you directly vassalise dukes with holdings in the area; but in reality it allows you to vassalise characters where vassalisation is normally impossible (eg. kings, mercenaries, religious heads).
First, thank you very much for pointing that out. I've studied the vassalize_or_take_under_title effect, apparently also muslim holy war achieve the same.

Now I've tried the following: pick a religion head, cheat convert to their religion, grant county, declare muslim holy war or jade duchy claim, cheat imprison and force peace. All heads I tried so far became my vassals, including Ecumenical (who is also king tier). All except the Catholic and Fraticelli Pope - they always revert to landless and independent.

This is so weird, could there be any explanation to that? I understand the Catholic Pope is unique title, but Fraticelli is clearly nothing special.

First, thank you very much for pointing that out. I've studied the vassalize_or_take_under_title effect, apparently also muslim holy war achieve the same.

Now I've tried the following: pick a religion head, cheat convert to their religion, grant county, declare muslim holy war or jade duchy claim, cheat imprison and force peace. All heads I tried so far became my vassals, including Ecumenical (who is also king tier). All except the Catholic and Fraticelli Pope - they always revert to landless and independent.

This is so weird, could there be any explanation to that? I understand the Catholic Pope is unique title, but Fraticelli is clearly nothing special.

You're right, and I've verified this for myself:

• New game as 1066 HRE (Heinrich)
  • Use console to give b_benevento to the county owner
  • Use console to set up prerequisites for war:
    • "religion sunni"
    • "give_title k_papacy 1316" + "prestige 1000"
  • Declare war on the Pope
    • Either Muslim holy war or de jure duchy vassalisation.
  • Use console to imprison the Pope and win the war
  • Pope stays independent (and there's a narrative event about the Pope becoming landless)

I guess I should go back and edit my previous post. I'm pretty sure you used to be able to do this, but I guess something changed and I didn't notice (probably because I don't play Catholics very often).

As for why this restriction only applies to the Catholic and Fraticelli Popes: Perhaps the religion feature "can_have_antipopes = yes" protects against vassalisation (unless it's from antipopes)?

Last edited:
The Catholic and Fraticelli Pope work the same way (except being king vs duke tier). I believe they have to be vassalized through the antipope route.

Is there a way to disable the automatic unpausing after some popups? Thank you.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. OTOH, there are some popups that don't autopause that I'd like to have autopause. In EUIII, you can do this via the message settings, but I haven't been able to do that in CKII.

I believe the answer is "no".

---

However, you can find out if your game will unpause after dismissing the popup by hovering your mouse over the date in the top right and checking the tooltip.
  • If the tooltip says "pause", your game is unpaused and will resume immediately after dismissing the popup.
  • If the tooltip says "unpause", your game is paused and will remain paused after dismissing the popup.
Pressing the space key (ie. the pause key) should toggle between these two states (even if the popup is still onscreen). This can be pretty important if you're on speed 5...

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. OTOH, there are some popups that don't autopause that I'd like to have autopause. In EUIII, you can do this via the message settings, but I haven't been able to do that in CKII.
CK2 has message settings. It can be hard to find the right one going through that big list, but if you right-click a popup or alert it will give you the settings for that particular one, and you can adjust it as you please. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Below the minimap on the left is a switch to show you the message log. By rightclicking a message there you get the option to configure how this kind of message is shown. Popups, pausing, priority, for whom to show it, only sending it to the message log are all choices there.

Reactions:
CK2 has message settings. It can be hard to find the right one going through that big list, but if you right-click a popup or alert it will give you the settings for that particular one, and you can adjust it as you please. :)
Below the minimap on the left is a switch to show you the message log. By rightclicking a message there you get the option to configure how this kind of message is shown. Popups, pausing, priority, for whom to show it, only sending it to the message log are all choices there.

Sorry, but I don't think either of these answer the question.

@StefanFan asked about unpausing after the popups. Not how to make a popup pause the game when it first appears.

(EDIT: @DPS's message is more ambigious, so your answer might be useful for him.)

Sorry, but I don't think either of these answer the question.

@StefanFan asked about unpausing after the popups. Not how to make a popup pause the game when it first appears.

(EDIT: @DPS's message is more ambigious, so your answer might be useful for him.)
If you set the game to pause when a popup appears it won't unpause when it disappears either. :) That has been my experience, at least.

Reactions:
I tested it to make sure my reply was correct before posting. Pausing and popups are different settings. So you can have popups, that unpause afterwards and you can configure it to stay paused. I tested it with the people joining defensive pact message and for this one it worked as described. Naturally there could be a bug somewhere preventing it for other messages. ;)

Reactions:
I set up all popups to have pause, but for some reason some still unpause the game after clicking OK. I will see what I can do with message log. Thank you.

I have this problem too. I speculate that the cause is that there are some messages that are not governed by the message log. (Eg: Events?) These popups pause the game - but only for as long as they are onscreen. If you happened to be on speed 5 when the popup appeared, you're back on speed 5 the moment you dismiss it.

I have this problem too. I speculate that the cause is that there are some messages that are not governed by the message log. (Eg: Events?) These popups pause the game - but only for as long as they are onscreen. If you happened to be on speed 5 when the popup appeared, you're back on speed 5 the moment you dismiss it.
Which popups are these?

Which popups are these?

It's somewhere around 5% of the popups I see - just enough to be annoying, especially when they're mixed in with other messages. (Obviously, this is very dependent on my message settings.) Unfortunately for my credibility, I haven't bothered making a list. I guess I'll make some notes next time I play.

(Offtopic: This discussion reminds me of a very similar problem in Rimworld - which is fixed by a mod. Unfortunately, I don't think we have deep enough access to the CK2 engine to be able to do something similar.)

It's somewhere around 5% of the popups I see - just enough to be annoying, especially when they're mixed in with other messages. (Obviously, this is very dependent on my message settings.) Unfortunately for my credibility, I haven't bothered making a list. I guess I'll make some notes next time I play.

(Offtopic: This discussion reminds me of a very similar problem in Rimworld - which is fixed by a mod. Unfortunately, I don't think we have deep enough access to the CK2 engine to be able to do something similar.)
No worries, man. I've known you long enough. You have credibility, your word is good enough for me. :)

I just wanted to try to test and fix the issue myself is all. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
No worries, man. I've known you long enough. You have credibility, your word is good enough for me. :)

I just wanted to try to test and fix the issue myself is all. :)

FWIW, my experience matches his. Some popups pause the game, but the game unpauses as soon as you dismiss them. I think that one of these is the popup which appears when someone accepts to pay a ransom for one of your prisoners.

Reactions: