• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey guys I finally decided to get off my butt and do the Monarch's Journey challenges, there is one problem though. Every since I checked out AtE:FF and downloaded the mod, my normal CK2 (with no mods turned on) has been on the fritz. Now when I go in, there is a problem with the checksum and I can no longer turn on achievement mode or hit continue to load saves (I have to click load and chose the save I want to load). This is also getting in the way of playing monarch's journey as I can't fire up any game as I get the
(X) No user modifications that change the game's checksum must be active
Message when I have no mods turned on. Is there an easy way I can fix this?

Hey guys I finally decided to get off my butt and do the Monarch's Journey challenges, there is one problem though. Every since I checked out AtE:FF and downloaded the mod, my normal CK2 (with no mods turned on) has been on the fritz. Now when I go in, there is a problem with the checksum and I can no longer turn on achievement mode or hit continue to load saves (I have to click load and chose the save I want to load). This is also getting in the way of playing monarch's journey as I can't fire up any game as I get the

Message when I have no mods turned on. Is there an easy way I can fix this?

Some mods (especially non-workshop mods) drop files in non-standard places. In these cases, you'll need to remove the modded files to get your game back to vanilla.

(1) Use the Steam interface to verify integrity of game files.
  • Fast, but doesn't always work.

(2) Full uninstall & reinstall.
  • Slow, or very slow, depending on your download speed. Always works... if you take extreme enough measures during the uninstall. This is likely to be pretty time-consuming.
  • IIRC, the "full uninstall" part might require manual deletion of various files in obscure places. I think there used to be a guide somewhere, but I can't find it offhand :-/ Best I can suggest are these two threads on the tech support forum.
(3) Ask on the tech support forum?

Is there an easy way I can fix this?
First be sure that there is really no mod selected in the Mod tab of the launcher (don't forget to scroll down).
Second, delete the settings.txt file in Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2.
Potentially game rules from the mod in it or such that could cause issues, though that shouldn't change the checksum..

Did you get AtE:FF off the Workshop or a manual download ?
If manual, you moved the mod into the CK2 folder in Documents, right ? Not into the game files folder in Steamapps/common.

Last option is indeed a clean un- (deleting or renaming of both CK2 folders suffices) and reinstall.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Historically, sometimes duels were fought with some sort of handicap applied. For example, I heard of one judicial duel between a man in his wife in which the man was allowed to fight with his sword while his wife was armed with a frying pan, but the man was buried in the ground up to his waist in the dirt.. So, maybe give the blind guy a suit of armor and a sword, but make his sighted opponent fight unarmored and armed only with a staff an wear a cowbell and it might be a fairly even fight.

Enrico Dandolo was completely blind when he commanded the Fourth Crusade. Most authors take this to mean that he sat at his desk and gave orders, but I've read a couple accounts that say he was actually in battle, swinging his sword, guided by the shouts of the enemy. Not going to guarantee that this is true, but it's at least conceivable, and I like to think of it that way.

The most famous example of a blind man fighting in this period would probably be King John the Blind of Bohemia, killed at Crecy, playable in the 1337 bookmark.

Yeah, that's a very famous example, but as with Enrico Dandolo, that's a battle, not a duel.

It occurs to me that my suggestion as to how to make a duel between a sighted person and a blind person a fair fight was too complicated. All you actually need to do is blindfold the sighted person.

Reactions:
Quick question: as the Doge of Venice, I control Trake, Kaliopolis and Constantinople; I have two Kingdom rank titles and I'm Catholic. Byzantium is no more.
Why can't I create the Latin Empire? Is it because I'm a Republic?

Can I somehow (religion/culture) make a Merchant Republic that can raid for loot? If so, if I or my vassals raid a realm where I have trading posts and make them hostile, will they destroy my trading posts?

Can I somehow (religion/culture) make a Merchant Republic that can raid for loot? If so, if I or my vassals raid a realm where I have trading posts and make them hostile, will they destroy my trading posts?

Yes, MRs can raid if they have the right religion or culture. (Eg. reforming the Germanic religion and founding an MR; or culture-converting to Norse/Berber as any religion.)

That said, I think it's generally a bad idea to raid counties where you have trade posts - it'll hurt your trade post income. I'd suggest you prioritise raiding faraway rich empires (eg. the Mediterranean as a Germanic Norse MR).

If you raid a realm, they will indeed hate you, which can make it more difficult and expensive to create new trade posts in their counties. However, they only have two methods to destroy your trade posts - embargo war (for all trade posts) and the event (for one trade post). The AI might try these a bit more often if they hate you, but I don't think it'll make a lot of difference. Just make sure you have high diplo/stewarship (for the easy resolution of the event); and that you don't needlessly antagonise any realms that you rely on for trading and can't beat in a defensive embargo war.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Quick question: as the Doge of Venice, I control Trake, Kaliopolis and Constantinople; I have two Kingdom rank titles and I'm Catholic. Byzantium is no more.
Why can't I create the Latin Empire? Is it because I'm a Republic?

Reading the code, you should be able to create the Latin Empire.

Code:
e_latin_empire = {
    color = { 150 105 56 }

capital = 496 # Byzantion

short_name = yes

allow = {
        OR = {
            religion = catholic
            is_heresy_of = catholic
        }
        e_byzantium = {
            has_holder = no
        }
        e_roman_empire = {
            has_holder = no
        }
        custom_tooltip = {
            text = controls_kaliopolis_thrake
            hidden_tooltip = {
                495 = { # Kaliopolis
                    owner = {
                        OR = {
                            is_liege_or_above = ROOT
                            character = ROOT
                        }
                    }
                }
                497 = { # Thrake
                    owner = {
                        OR = {
                            is_liege_or_above = ROOT
                            character = ROOT
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

There's also nothing in the MR government specification that would prevent the creation of an empire title. (Usurpation is forbidden, but creation should be OK.)

Code:
    merchant_republic_government = {
        preferred_holdings = { CITY }
        allowed_holdings = {
            TRADE_POST
            CITY
            CASTLE
            FAMILY_PALACE
            FORT
            HOSPITAL
        }
        allowed_holdings_culture = { # Will not get the wrong government type penalty for tribes of the same culture
            TRIBAL
        }
        accepts_liege_governments = { # Accepts other republics
            republic_government
        }
        free_revoke_on_governments_religion = { # Tribal vassals of other religions can have their titles revoked for free
            tribal_government
        }
        frame_suffix = "_merchantrepublic"
        title_prefix = "city_"
        potential = {
            OR = {
                controls_religion = no
                religion_group = muslim
                has_religion_feature = religion_temporal_head
                AND = {
                    religion = norse_pagan_reformed
                    has_religion_features = no # Old saves, and campaigns without HF, need the Fylkirate to continue working
                }
            }
            #is_female = no
            OR = {
                AND = {
                    is_patrician = yes
                    OR = {
                        liege_before_war = {
                            NOT = { character = PREV }
                            is_merchant_republic = yes
                            NOT = {
                                liege_before_war = {
                                }
                            }
                        }
                        has_game_started = no
                    }
                }
                AND = {
                    OR = {
                        AND = {
                            has_game_started = yes
                        }
                        capital_scope = { port = yes }
                    }
                    higher_real_tier_than = count
                    any_demesne_province = {
                        always = yes
                    }
                    NOT = {
                        liege_before_war = {
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }

color = { 250 0 0 }

merchant_republic = yes

can_imprison_without_reason = no
        can_revoke_without_reason = no
        can_usurp_kingdoms_and_empires = no
        have_gender_laws = no
        can_grant_kingdoms_and_empires_to_other_government = yes
        allows_matrilineal_marriage = no
        uses_bride_price = yes

can_build_tribal = no

landed_inheritance = no

capital_move_delay = 600

## Modifiers
        court_size_modifier = 5
        court_size_maintenance_cost_modifier = -0.05
    }

Can you post a screenshot of the title creation screen, showing the tooltip that explains why you can't create the Latin Empire? (Use the title search function to find the latin empire, as it might otherwise be quite hard to find.) That tooltip might help a lot to diagnose the problem.

Reactions:
Reading the code, you should be able to create the Latin Empire.

Code:
e_latin_empire = {
    color = { 150 105 56 }

capital = 496 # Byzantion

short_name = yes

allow = {
        OR = {
            religion = catholic
            is_heresy_of = catholic
        }
        e_byzantium = {
            has_holder = no
        }
        e_roman_empire = {
            has_holder = no
        }
        custom_tooltip = {
            text = controls_kaliopolis_thrake
            hidden_tooltip = {
                495 = { # Kaliopolis
                    owner = {
                        OR = {
                            is_liege_or_above = ROOT
                            character = ROOT
                        }
                    }
                }
                497 = { # Thrake
                    owner = {
                        OR = {
                            is_liege_or_above = ROOT
                            character = ROOT
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

There's also nothing in the MR government specification that would prevent the creation of an empire title. (Usurpation is forbidden, but creation should be OK.)

Code:
    merchant_republic_government = {
        preferred_holdings = { CITY }
        allowed_holdings = {
            TRADE_POST
            CITY
            CASTLE
            FAMILY_PALACE
            FORT
            HOSPITAL
        }
        allowed_holdings_culture = { # Will not get the wrong government type penalty for tribes of the same culture
            TRIBAL
        }
        accepts_liege_governments = { # Accepts other republics
            republic_government
        }
        free_revoke_on_governments_religion = { # Tribal vassals of other religions can have their titles revoked for free
            tribal_government
        }
        frame_suffix = "_merchantrepublic"
        title_prefix = "city_"
        potential = {
            OR = {
                controls_religion = no
                religion_group = muslim
                has_religion_feature = religion_temporal_head
                AND = {
                    religion = norse_pagan_reformed
                    has_religion_features = no # Old saves, and campaigns without HF, need the Fylkirate to continue working
                }
            }
            #is_female = no
            OR = {
                AND = {
                    is_patrician = yes
                    OR = {
                        liege_before_war = {
                            NOT = {
                                liege_before_war = {
                                }
                            }
                        }
                        has_game_started = no
                    }
                }
                AND = {
                    OR = {
                        AND = {
                            has_game_started = yes
                        }
                        capital_scope = { port = yes }
                    }
                    higher_real_tier_than = count
                    any_demesne_province = {
                        always = yes
                    }
                    NOT = {
                        liege_before_war = {
                        }
                    }
                }
            }
        }

color = { 250 0 0 }

merchant_republic = yes

can_imprison_without_reason = no
        can_revoke_without_reason = no
        can_usurp_kingdoms_and_empires = no
        have_gender_laws = no
        can_grant_kingdoms_and_empires_to_other_government = yes
        allows_matrilineal_marriage = no
        uses_bride_price = yes

can_build_tribal = no

landed_inheritance = no

capital_move_delay = 600

## Modifiers
        court_size_modifier = 5
        court_size_maintenance_cost_modifier = -0.05
    }

Can you post a screenshot of the title creation screen, showing the tooltip that explains why you can't create the Latin Empire? (Use the title search function to find the latin empire, as it might otherwise be quite hard to find.) That tooltip might help a lot to diagnose the problem.

You helped me in a unexpected way: I thought its creation would have been a decision or maybe even an event, while I had to search for it on the toolbar. I expected the game to notify it in a way, but it doesn't.
Thanks! I made it!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another MR question...

Say hypothetically I rule a kingdom level MR, with a capital county with five cities built, and a capital duchy with five counties, and my demesne is five. Is it better to:
- personally hold four extra cities in my capital county and put vassal lord mayors in the other counties
- personally hold the five counties, and put vassals in the cities in my capital

Thanks for any thoughts.

Another MR question...

Say hypothetically I rule a kingdom level MR, with a capital county with five cities built, and a capital duchy with five counties, and my demesne is five. Is it better to:
- personally hold four extra cities in my capital county and put vassal lord mayors in the other counties
- personally hold the five counties, and put vassals in the cities in my capital

Thanks for any thoughts.

Well... better for what? Pure income, easy vassal management, something else? Short term or long term? What's your tech situation, what year is it, are you playing one of the mediterranean MRs or did you start your own somewhere else? Are the other counties coastal, and if so, do they have trade posts in them? Is the Silk Road available? Are you looking for a specific goal, or planning to play through seven centuries? Wide or tall? Lots of factors play into it.

* Lord Mayors are more likely to be trouble than regular Mayors - although once you're strong enough, neither will be much bother.
* The capital county gets a bigger bonus than the rest of the capital duchy (unless I'm mistaken).
* Built-up cities will give a bigger income - and more troops - than a newly established one. This means more in the short run than in the long run, assuming you spend the money to upgrade the minor cities.
* A coastal county will generally be more profitable than an inland one, particularly if there's a trade post in it. But if the inland county is on the Silk Road, or even has a Silk Road trade post, that may well be reversed.
* As a MR, you can probably get more income from your empire of trade posts than from the cities, after you've spent some time building and stealing them.
* You're going to be paying a fair chunk of your income as family dues, so a small difference in total income will be an even smaller difference once it reaches you.
* Consider owning a barony or two for the troops - at least unless your retinue is overwhelmingly strong.

Basically, my answer - aside from "it depends" - would probably be the counties to start with, and the capital county holdings long term. Unless you're starting at a later date, and have five cities already well built-up in your county. In the really long run, if you're playing expansionist, it probably won't matter much.

Reactions:
Well... better for what? Pure income, easy vassal management, something else? Short term or long term? What's your tech situation, what year is it, are you playing one of the mediterranean MRs or did you start your own somewhere else? Are the other counties coastal, and if so, do they have trade posts in them? Is the Silk Road available? Are you looking for a specific goal, or planning to play through seven centuries? Wide or tall? Lots of factors play into it.
/QUOTE]

So... it depends. ;)

I was thinking in terms of pure income. But now that you mention the other stuff...

Well, to give a bit of perspective - in my current Amalfi run, I held four counties in the beginning, with an extra city in one or two of them, for a total of two duchies (since Amalfi is a one-county duchy). I had 20-30 trade posts within a few generations, then started stealing from other MRs and "inheriting" from the other patrician families when they mysteriously died out one after the other. By the time I reached empire status, about 200 years into the game, I accidentally gave away everything except Amalfi when I gave someone the Kingdom of Italy. It didn't make that much of a difference; I definitely noticed a drop in income, but nothing huge. I had a worse time after I accidentally clicked "use it" on a fabricated claim without checking what it would cost me, and ended up 8K in debt - that took me several years to work my way out of.

Now, it's almost the year 1300, and I'm close to world conquest. My absurd amounts of retinue handle all the fighting, and levies only get raised for peasant rebellions. My income is just as absurd - unless the retinue is reinforcing, in which case it's way in the negative. But I barely notice, because I get so much money from generations of family dues each time a new ruler inherits, I'm sitting at around 100K in the bank despite constantly bribing vassals and building new cities wherever I can. And I'm playing this without a lot of the money-making DLCs, and I've been Waldensian for a couple hundred years, so no constant crusade income.

Early game and late game are drastically different. Then again, if I'd been playing tall rather than wide, and refrained from killing patricians, I might still be basing my decisions on which is more profitable, A or B.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting to see recent discussion handling exactly the questions I wanted to ask. Merchant republics and wealth.

I've played plenty of CK2 but never as a MR. Is there a good guide either in writing or in video that explains all the necessary information on how to play? Most links seem outdated.

I have heard MR gameplay still has bugs. Are any of these game breaking or otherwise difficult to manage?

My plan for my next playthrough is to start as an African pagan Berber and work towards forming a MR around Tangier. I might convert to another religion after the initial expansion instead of reforming the pagan faith. I am looking for advice on how play MR as small and tall as possible and maximize wealth from as few holdings as possible. Playing with all DLC. Thanks!

Interesting to see recent discussion handling exactly the questions I wanted to ask. Merchant republics and wealth.

I've played plenty of CK2 but never as a MR. Is there a good guide either in writing or in video that explains all the necessary information on how to play? Most links seem outdated.

I have heard MR gameplay still has bugs. Are any of these game breaking or otherwise difficult to manage?

My plan for my next playthrough is to start as an African pagan Berber and work towards forming a MR around Tangier. I might convert to another religion after the initial expansion instead of reforming the pagan faith. I am looking for advice on how play MR as small and tall as possible and maximize wealth from as few holdings as possible. Playing with all DLC. Thanks!

There may well be tricks to maximizing income from other DLCs than the ones I've been playing with, but based on my experience the key is trade posts, preferably in one big contiguous trade zone. For this you need to first build as many as you can yourself - improve trade tech, improve your family palace, keep lots of unlanded adult male dynasty members in court - and once you get to the point where you can't reasonably expect to build more, start stealing from other republics. (And, if you're not averse to a bit of murder, start killing off the other patrician families in your republic. Every time one family dies out completely in the male line, their trade posts are distributed among the other families, so you'll get a share of them.) Then put some money into improving the trade posts to maximize the income from them.

There are Silk Gold Road stretches in the Tangier area, with 2-3 counties where you can build trade posts. Definitely grab those.

Build city holdings in your capital county/duchy, and upgrade everything money-related in them.

Use Business focus, obviously, at least until you get the trade route. Educate kids for stewardship, and pick heirs/spouses based on high stewardship.

As a Berber: raid, raid, raid.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I altered my plan a bit, used the ruler designer to create a Hellenic count of Anfa. Thus, my starting character (y767) is a tribal Hellenic. Plan is to conquer what I need as a tribal and then change to Merchant Republic. If possible, I'm aiming to eventually have my capital in Alexandria. I remember something about merchant republic capitals though, is it so you can't change your capital at all?

also, according to the Wiki Hellenism doesn't limit succession laws even if unreformed. But as a tribal that doesn't help. So if I want to get rid of Gavelkind, I have to reform Hellenism anyway, right?

Unreformed pagans cannot become merchant republics. You could presumably game that by converting, switching to MR, and converting back again... Merchant republic succession should trump unreformed pagan mechanics, but I wouldn't want to risk it myself. So, yeah, plan on reforming first. That won't allow you to play super-tall, though, since the holy sites are spread out over Greece, Italy, and Egypt. (But maybe that part of the plan was altered, too?)

For the capital, either move it before forming a merchant republic, alternatively, if already republic, acquire d_alexandria as your primary title to be allowed to move your capital "back to the de jure one" (i.e., county of Alexandria for that same Duchy).
This is the only way for republics to move the capital planfully (the other being losing a war for your primary county).