• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How much does personal combat rating factor into duels? I just lost a duel with 145 vs 1 and rage quit. I know it should still be possible to lose, but I'm the Hero of a warrior lodge and losing to a one handed woman AND dying from the duel just seems stupid.

^ Another question :(

I'm an Iqta Muslim Emperor. I just created a merchant republic by giving the duchy of Cyprus to a burgher count who owns both counties. But in doing so, i've disinherited my Genius heir. He owns no land, and has never owned any land. For some reason he's now listed as heir to the city-county in Famagusta, but...how?

I can't even view that county's succession screen, as the shield icon just shows me the line of succession for the MR (which for some reason just has 3 people in it, even though there's 5 patrician families).

I've spent like 9 generations trying to get a genius son. Finally got one and now this...

EDIT: Aaaaand quitting and reloading fixed it. For some reason even granting him a barony had no effect, even though the son who replaced him didn't have any land either (and Iqta goes by the son with most land). Great. Now my heir's got a holding he can ruin his own life.

This is a longstanding bug with the creation of vassal MRs: it screws up your succession until you save & reload. Sorry you had to find out this way :-/

Reactions:
How much does personal combat rating factor into duels? I just lost a duel with 145 vs 1 and rage quit. I know it should still be possible to lose, but I'm the Hero of a warrior lodge and losing to a one handed woman AND dying from the duel just seems stupid.

I don't recall the exact value, but the effect of difference in PCS does indeed cap-off at an absurdly low value. (Something like, any diff > 40 has no effect on the outcome.)

I suspect there are mods that fix this, but I play unmodded so I don't know any details.

In your case, savescumming seems like a reasonable workaround. (This is possible even in ironman, if you use Task Manager to force-quit CK2.)

What is a good way to go about converting about 13 kingdoms worth of Feudal Kings and Dukes to Viceroyalties?

Retract all dukes from the kings, revoke the kings, then revoke the dukes?

Or... revoke an entire kingdom or 3 at once (both kings/dukes), wait 5 years for the opinion bonus to wear off, and rinse and repeat?

I tend to do it piecemeal, with justified revocations, over several generations. (The tyranny from unjustified revocations is a bit too much for me to stomach.) Kingdoms to viceroyalties are the first priority; vassal dukes might survive for a few decades or even a century before I get a chance to convert them.

Of course, it's often pretty easy to create justifications - especially if you have the Imperialism law (free vassal retraction): retract & grant vassals until the victim rebels, beat them, revoke their title, repeat.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming what I had suspected - building forts/holdings can increase the supply limit, but improving existing holdings cannot. I think I was thinking of EU-style fortification/supply capacity relationships when thinking of the original question.

I already have forts in my garrison provinces, which unfortunately are steppe provinces with Severe Winter near the Siberian Wastes. My options appear to be to station my troops elsewhere, divide up my forces into smaller groupings, or just live with high levels of winter attrition in winter.

Have you put winter commanders on the centre flank of all your armies? If not, that will make a huge difference.

What kills you in winter is the subtractive modifier: it takes a huge amount of effort to get to a +500% multiplier, but that doesn't help much if the base supply in the county is only 1K. The additive modifier from winter commander increases the base supply, and is usually enough to allow decent-sized armies to overwinter in Siberia with no attrition. (Yes, yes, not realistic, I know.)

After running the numbers, I think 17.5K is possible in severe winter without too much work:

[ 5K (base) + 1K (arctic terrain) - 5K (severe winter) + 4K (commander) - 0K (no disease) ]
* [ 1 + 1 (2 holdings in county) + 0.75 (controlled neighbour holdings) + 0.75 (org tech 6) ]
= 5K * 3.5 = 17.5K

If you use steppe terrain provinces (rather than arctic) (your post says steppe) then the results are significantly better:

[ 5K (base) + 4K (steppe terrain) - 5K (severe winter) + 4K (commander) - 0K (no disease) ]
* [ 1 + 1 (2 holdings in county) + 0.75 (controlled neighbour holdings) + 0.75 (org tech 6) ]
= 8K * 3.5 = 28K

Last edited:
I don't recall the exact value, but the effect of difference in PCS does indeed cap-off at an absurdly low value. (Something like, any diff > 40 has no effect on the outcome.)

I suspect there are mods that fix this, but I play unmodded so I don't know any details.

In your case, savescumming seems like a reasonable workaround. (This is possible even in ironman, if you use Task Manager to force-quit CK2.)
To add to this, there is an absolute minimum chance to lose every single duel of 3%. You can never have a 100% chance to win. In addition to personal combat skill, there are other things that factor in like differences in intrigue scores. Additionally there's a chance both characters die, which you cannot affect the chance of happening.

Eventually you will roll a 1 if you keep dueling, which is an automatic loss against even the blind one-legged old woman.

To add to this, there is an absolute minimum chance to lose every single duel of 3%. You can never have a 100% chance to win. In addition to personal combat skill, there are other things that factor in like differences in intrigue scores. Additionally there's a chance both characters die, which you cannot affect the chance of happening.

Eventually you will roll a 1 if you keep dueling, which is an automatic loss against even the blind one-legged old woman.

That's kinda stupid... I don't play with mods because I want achievements, but it seems silly for there to be such a degree of randomness in dueling. I can understand randomness when there isn't a massive difference in combat skill, but it shouldn't be possible to lose against someone who is blind for example.

That's kinda stupid... I don't play with mods because I want achievements, but it seems silly for there to be such a degree of randomness in dueling.

As far as i recall traits also matter. If that one handed woman was deceitful and had high intrigue, well...
Not 100% sure, but 98%.
oFyIsto.gif

I can understand randomness when there isn't a massive difference in combat skill, but it shouldn't be possible to lose against someone who is blind for example.

Zatoichi disagrees
(see picture in below post; my linked pic was broken)

Fantasy character, but hey..
Not sure if these blind european nobles we know of going into battles were still good at close combat, but..who knows, potentially.

Last edited:
Whenever the crusade target changes, whether by my action or the AI's, I get booted from the crusade. Anyone know why?

That's kinda stupid... I don't play with mods because I want achievements, but it seems silly for there to be such a degree of randomness in dueling. I can understand randomness when there isn't a massive difference in combat skill, but it shouldn't be possible to lose against someone who is blind for example.
Then don't duel. It's an inherently dangerous thing to do. No matter how skilled you are, there's always a chance for your opponent to get lucky. In fact, it's often said that the most dangerous person to the best swordsman in the world is not the second best one, but a total novice swordsman. Why? Because the novice is completely unpredictable and is just as dangerous to themselves as they are to others.

Then don't duel. It's an inherently dangerous thing to do. No matter how skilled you are, there's always a chance for your opponent to get lucky. In fact, it's often said that the most dangerous person to the best swordsman in the world is not the second best one, but a total novice swordsman. Why? Because the novice is completely unpredictable and is just as dangerous to themselves as they are to others.

I agree with you to an extent. But how on earth would a blind person win any duels?

Last edited:
I have question for murder bloodlines.

1) Wiki reports that a character with a The Dragon King / Blood of the Dragon-King can burns prisoner.

Wikipedia also informs us that killing a prisoner by one of three methods (Throw in the Brazen Bull / Embalm Prisoner / Burn Prisoner) has the following effects:
"Executing any prisoner with these methods grants the character modifier Intimidated Court (National Revolt Risk -5.0%, Plot Power Defense + 10.0%) for 1250 days (about 3.5 years). This modifier does not stack.

Executing a vassal ruler additionally intimidates any other vassal or courtier who is at least 5 years old and does not have the Brave trait into submission (+20 opinion) for 4 years. The opinion modifier requires the vassal ruler executed to be your direct vassal, i.e. the vassal of a vassal will not work, but the tier of the vassal is unimportant. The opinion modifier is stackable, and the 4 year duration renews with each vassal burning. The tooltip states, incorrectly, that the opinion modifier is +10. All three methods allow performing unjustified executions without incurring a tyranny penalty. Prisoners must be at least 13 to be embalmed. "

Is unjustified imprisonment for killing someone with this bloodline without incurring a tyranny penalty? So is it feasible to imprison a burgher, burn him, imprison his successor, burn him over and over again for the bonus of opinion? Because if it is possible, then this is the method of ruling like Aerys II "Mad King" Targaryen: D

2) According to the wiki, Murder / Peace Bloodline allows us to "can spend prestige to disband factions". Is it really easy and pleasant to solve each faction in the game? What is the cost and where is it done? I am asking about this because on Reddit I saw a post in which someone complained that he saw nowhere the option to dissolve the faction. Unfortunately, no one answered him.

Until now, I've only forged lines The Architect Bloodline / The Castellan Bloodline / The Warrior Philosopher. I was also thinking about forging Benevolence Bloodline or Philosopher Bloodline, but I get the impression that it would be much simpler / more interesting to play with the bloodline of a gentle tyrant / madman.

Please, explain to me how exactly these murderous blood lines work and whether the bonus from this dragon's one is +20, and not +10 on one burn.

I agree with you to an extent. But how on earth would a blind person win any duels?

Historically, sometimes duels were fought with some sort of handicap applied. For example, I heard of one judicial duel between a man in his wife in which the man was allowed to fight with his sword while his wife was armed with a frying pan, but the man was buried in the ground up to his waist in the dirt.. So, maybe give the blind guy a suit of armor and a sword, but make his sighted opponent fight unarmored and armed only with a staff an wear a cowbell and it might be a fairly even fight.

Maybe your ruler, like you, took victory for granted and wasn't really putting much effort into it? Maybe he got arrogant and was too busy showboating to pay attention to the duel, and his opponent took advantage of that. Maybe he stumbled at the wrong time. Maybe he was on horseback, the horse startled and reared, your ruler fell off and broke his neck.

Nothing is a 100% certainty.

I checked myself how the Dragon King line works. Unfortunately, wikipedia is either wrong or there is a mistake in the game. Each burning of a trapped vassal gives us +10 for "intimidated", but imprisoning a vassal for no reason is tyranny us, and apparently this line was not meant to fill her: "All three methods allow performing unjustified executions without incurring a tyranny penalty. Prisoners must be at least 13 to be embalmed. "
Here is the proof:
1594162957047.png

I don;t know, this is bug or feature?

PS
In console I added "Murder/Peace Bloodline" but I can't see anywhere in the tabs "intrigue" and "Factions" option to resolve the faction. In addition, as the faction issues demands, there is no additional option for them to stop and resolve. Anyone know how it works?

Last edited:
I checked myself how the Dragon King line works. Unfortunately, wikipedia is either wrong or there is a mistake in the game. Each burning of a trapped vassal gives us +10 for "intimidated", but imprisoning a vassal for no reason is tyranny us, and apparently this line was not meant to fill her: "All three methods allow performing unjustified executions without incurring a tyranny penalty. Prisoners must be at least 13 to be embalmed. "
Here is the proof:
View attachment 598001
I don;t know, this is bug or feature?

PS
In console I added "Murder/Peace Bloodline" but I can't see anywhere in the tabs "intrigue" and "Factions" option to resolve the faction. In addition, as the faction issues demands, there is no additional option for them to stop and resolve. Anyone know how it works?

The wiki says you can execute without incurring tyranny, it doesn't say anything about being able to imprison without incurring tyranny. They're separate actions with separate penalties.

Reactions:
The wiki says you can execute without incurring tyranny, it doesn't say anything about being able to imprison without incurring tyranny. They're separate actions with separate penalties.
Ok, my bad, but how i good play with Dragon-King bloodline? I've never played as a tyrant before. Or maybe this style of play is too engaging / boring / difficult and some blood line would be better?

Ok, my bad, but how i good play with Dragon-King bloodline? I've never played as a tyrant before. Or maybe this style of play is too engaging / boring / difficult and some blood line would be better?

Find a reason to imprison someone? If you have a big realm there won't be a shortage of people plotting which gives you valid reason for imprisonment.

You should also probably bear in mind that although burning in the brazen bull gives an intimidation opinion modifier, you'll still get negative opinion from the close family of the person you've executed.

Find a reason to imprison someone? If you have a big realm there won't be a shortage of people plotting which gives you valid reason for imprisonment.

You should also probably bear in mind that although burning in the brazen bull gives an intimidation opinion modifier, you'll still get negative opinion from the close family of the person you've executed.
For "scheme" or "build spy network"? I always studies technology, and when I can't steal them anymore, my spy master always sits on the "scheme" in the capital.