• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have a female heir with partilineal bloodline and some random male with partilineal bloodline. What happens if I marry them matrilineally? Will their children inherit both bloodlines?

If not, how do I make it happen?

I have a female heir with partilineal bloodline and some random male with partilineal bloodline. What happens if I marry them matrilineally? Will their children inherit both bloodlines?

If not, how do I make it happen?
Usually.

What matters is if they are both patrilineal bloodlines with matrilineal transfer. Most bloodlines are like that, though, so it shouldn't be a problem. If the two are married matrilineally, then their children receive both bloodlines.

Got a question about drift.
I'm trying to form the non-existent Arabian Empire which consists of 203 counties. It's hard with the vassal limit to expand. The title hasn't existed for nearly 100 years.
Will the drifted land it gained from the empire that controlled it ever revert? E.g., there's swaths of Persia part of the Arabian Empire from drift. Will they ever drift back out (without another empire holding that land)? Or do i have to slog through to get 163/203 counties to be able to form it?
Don't really want to make a custom empire by decision.
Thanks.

Got a question about drift.
I'm trying to form the non-existent Arabian Empire which consists of 203 counties. It's hard with the vassal limit to expand. The title hasn't existed for nearly 100 years.
Will the drifted land it gained from the empire that controlled it ever revert? E.g., there's swaths of Persia part of the Arabian Empire from drift. Will they ever drift back out (without another empire holding that land)? Or do i have to slog through to get 163/203 counties to be able to form it?
Don't really want to make a custom empire by decision.
Thanks.

Unfortunately, you do need to conquer the 163/203 provinces to re-form the empire of Arabia. The kingdoms/duchies that were drifted into Arabia can only be drifted out if another ruler cares to do so (they will not drift back to Arabia on their own). And, frankly, it'll probably be faster to slog through the additional provinces than to wait for the AI to drift large numbers of counties into another kingdom/empire.

I feel for you though - the 80% rule for empire formation can feel really harsh at times.

Reactions:
Hello, I am unable to destroy The Fylkirate title.
Religion description clearly says "The Fylkirate is held by a secular ruler, and can be destroyed or created normally", however destroy button reads "Cannot destroy special title".
What gives?

Is there a way to destroy the title so I can re-create it on demand afterwards?

Last edited:
Hello, I am unable to destroy The Fylkirate title.
Religion description clearly says "The Fylkirate is held by a secular ruler, and can be destroyed or created normally", however destroy button reads "Cannot destroy special title".
What gives?

Is there a way to destroy the title so I can re-create it on demand afterwards?
Even if you destroy the Fylkirate title, you cannot re-create it on demand afterward.

Reactions:
Can Christian realms use Eldership succession law? I'm doing a 867-1453 Jorvik playthrough and I really like how Eldership works. I'm thinking about reforming Norse for a while, and then converting to Christianity later on, and I'd like to keep the succession if possible.

Also, how does the Equality doctrine mesh with the Status of Women Laws? Does it automatically set them to Full? Will that stick if you convert to Christianity?

Is there any way to swap from playing a feudal Iqta government to a Merchant republic?
Like maybe if you're playing a county title and your heir is the member of a merchant family? Or has a duke or higher republic title?

Can Christian realms use Eldership succession law? I'm doing a 867-1453 Jorvik playthrough and I really like how Eldership works. I'm thinking about reforming Norse for a while, and then converting to Christianity later on, and I'd like to keep the succession if possible.

Also, how does the Equality doctrine mesh with the Status of Women Laws? Does it automatically set them to Full? Will that stick if you convert to Christianity?
Christians cannot use Eldership. Only unreformed African pagans, unreformed Romuva pagans, or reformed pagans with the right doctrines can use Eldership.

No doctrines stick to Christianity, including Equality.

ETA and correct: Full Status of Women laws are enforced under Equality.

Reactions:
Is there any way to swap from playing a feudal Iqta government to a Merchant republic?
Like maybe if you're playing a county title and your heir is the member of a merchant family? Or has a duke or higher republic title?
I don't know, but you can try this:
* Be at least Duke-level
* Have your capital be in a coastal province
* Revoke the title of a mayor in your capital
* Make the city in your capital the new county capital

Honestly, it's really unlikely. Better off starting as Tribal and adopting Merchant Republic from there.

Note that a Muslim Merchant Republic is still a regular Merchant Republic and cannot hold Temples without penalty. There is no government type that lets you hold castles, temples, AND cities without penalty.

No it's impossible. You have to change characters with the console or on a reload to change to a merchant republic. Both require non-ironman.

Christians cannot use Eldership. Only unreformed African pagans, unreformed Romuva pagans, or reformed pagans with the right doctrines can use Eldership.

No doctrines stick to Christianity, including Equality.

ETA and correct: Full Status of Women laws are enforced under Equality.
WJS has it right. The things that do stick when switching from an equality pagan religion to a branch of Christianity are that you'll keep your current level of rights of women (which is always full) and will still be true cognatic succession.

Quick q

When pressing someone else's claim, it says they will become your vassal if they are of your dynasty, or if the target title is de jure your vassal. I was king of England and Wales, England as my primary title, and I pressed the claim of a courtier for a duchy that was de jure part of the kingdom of Wales. Upon winning the claimant was independent. Is this a bug, or is it because the kingdom of Wales was not my primary title?

I have a question about increasing the supply limit of one of my provinces.

From reading the Wiki, I understand that building additional holdings increases a province's supply limit. My question is, does increasing the fortification level and/or other improvements to those holdings have any impact on the supply limit *for my own forces* as well? I am keeping some Retinues and Holy Order troops in Siberia for Mongol Defense purposes, and anything I can do to limit their attrition without further diluting troops strength would be quite helpful.

I have a question about increasing the supply limit of one of my provinces.

From reading the Wiki, I understand that building additional holdings increases a province's supply limit. My question is, does increasing the fortification level and/or other improvements to those holdings have any impact on the supply limit *for my own forces* as well? I am keeping some Retinues and Holy Order troops in Siberia for Mongol Defense purposes, and anything I can do to limit their attrition without further diluting troops strength would be quite helpful.

I do not believe that developing the holdings has any effect. (Barring the very special case of being a nomad and stationing troops in your capital.)

Presumably your issue is the supply limit in winter, rather than in summer. In this case, I think that the best thing you could do would be to acquire loads of commanders with the "Winter Soldier" or "Shield of the Tundra" trait; and then make each one the leader of the centre flank of a different army. (The buff to winter supply only works if the commander is leading the centre flank.) To "acquire" the commanders, you could use favor-invites (or favor-consort, if you're female and your religion allows it) - or you could join the finnish warrior society, level up to rank 3 or 4, and generate new commanders using the intrigue decision.

EDIT - Since the buffs to winter supply from commander traits are only +3/+4 and severe winter is -5, try to avoid stationing your troops in provinces that experience severe winter. (Or, at least, don't use the full summer supply cap in these provinces.) Further, be careful about summer supply in provinces that only experience mild/normal winter (-2/-3): in these provinces, if you have a winter commander then you might have more supply in winter than in summer!

EDIT2 - Have you tried building a fort in your garrison province? I'm not at all sure, but I think it might possibly count as a "holding" for the purpose of the supply limit calculation. It's cheap and quick to test, so it might be worth a try...

Last edited:
I do not believe that developing the holdings has any effect. (Barring the very special case of being a nomad and stationing troops in your capital.)

Presumably your issue is the supply limit in winter, rather than in summer. In this case, I think that the best thing you could do would be to acquire loads of commanders with the "Winter Soldier" or "Shield of the Tundra" trait; and then make each one the leader of the centre flank of a different army. (The buff to winter supply only works if the commander is leading the centre flank.) To "acquire" the commanders, you could use favor-invites (or favor-consort, if you're female and your religion allows it) - or you could join the finnish warrior society, level up to rank 3 or 4, and generate new commanders using the intrigue decision.

EDIT - Since the buffs to winter supply from commander traits are only +3/+4 and severe winter is -5, try to avoid stationing your troops in provinces that experience severe winter. (Or, at least, don't use the full summer supply cap in these provinces.) Further, be careful about summer supply in provinces that only experience mild/normal winter (-2/-3): in these provinces, if you have a winter commander then you might have more supply in winter than in summer!

EDIT2 - Have you tried building a fort in your garrison province? I'm not at all sure, but I think it might possibly count as a "holding" for the purpose of the supply limit calculation. It's cheap and quick to test, so it might be worth a try...

Thanks for confirming what I had suspected - building forts/holdings can increase the supply limit, but improving existing holdings cannot. I think I was thinking of EU-style fortification/supply capacity relationships when thinking of the original question.

I already have forts in my garrison provinces, which unfortunately are steppe provinces with Severe Winter near the Siberian Wastes. My options appear to be to station my troops elsewhere, divide up my forces into smaller groupings, or just live with high levels of winter attrition in winter.

Quick question: what happens to raised levies when the viceroy who owns them dies?
I came across a post from years ago about a bug where they became impossible to ever raise again (which i assume/hope is now fixed), but it's got me wondering what happens in any case. Do the troops continue as normal until disbanded? Do they stop reinforcing casualties?

^ Another question :(

I'm an Iqta Muslim Emperor. I just created a merchant republic by giving the duchy of Cyprus to a burgher count who owns both counties. But in doing so, i've disinherited my Genius heir. He owns no land, and has never owned any land. For some reason he's now listed as heir to the city-county in Famagusta, but...how?

I can't even view that county's succession screen, as the shield icon just shows me the line of succession for the MR (which for some reason just has 3 people in it, even though there's 5 patrician families).

I've spent like 9 generations trying to get a genius son. Finally got one and now this...

EDIT: Aaaaand quitting and reloading fixed it. For some reason even granting him a barony had no effect, even though the son who replaced him didn't have any land either (and Iqta goes by the son with most land). Great. Now my heir's got a holding he can ruin his own life.

Last edited:
What is a good way to go about converting about 13 kingdoms worth of Feudal Kings and Dukes to Viceroyalties?

Retract all dukes from the kings, revoke the kings, then revoke the dukes?

Or... revoke an entire kingdom or 3 at once (both kings/dukes), wait 5 years for the opinion bonus to wear off, and rinse and repeat?