• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm emperor tier, and had a vassal king. Had, because he's currently rebelling against my "tyranny" after failed attempt to relocate him to a "secure location". Nothing unusual.

What's slightly rarer is that his uncle, who is independent king, is called by the game a heir to the revolt. And next in line after that is that kings uncle who incidentally, is also an independent king.

Now I'm thinking, if something happened to the rebellion leader, then his heir will get a new shiny(although temporary and titular) empire tier title and heirs kingdom will become part of rebellious realm. And if same something would happen to his uncle as well, then rebel realm would expand again. And then when I resolve this little misunderstanding, my realm will have two new kingdoms

But that kind of seems too good to be true, and I get a gut feeling that game will end the rebellion as soon as leader dies(despite making line of succession for temporary title), destroy revolt title and only then do succession which will take one kingdom out of my realm.

Soo, do heirs to rebellion actually inherit the rebellion?

edit: hmm, game updated successor chain, revolt now has different sucessors than the kingdom even though they both have same succession laws, so I'm guessing it was temporary glitch

Last edited:
Anyone able to explain why the character in this screenshot didn't get a strong claim to the duchy his father owned? He was the second male in line, but he still only got a weak claim (not a bastard and his last three siblings are from another father).
203770_20200606010404_1.png

It might if they had primo. But with gavelkind, yeah, from the looks of it he should've had a strong claim. Mods and settings all double-checked?

No mods and default settings.

The heir might have had enough children to push the second son far enough down the line of succession that he wasn't entitled to a strong claim. I'm not sure if that's how it works though.

Maybe the second son was heir to a theocracy via investiture and that took him out of the line of succession until after the father died?

Then again, I know the claim system is bugged because more than 2nd and 3rd in line get strong claims, which goes against what the tool-tips say. So it's potentially just a bug.

Reactions:
Hi all! I'm pretty new to the game, and in my first Ireland campaign I've established a kingdom; anyways I basically wanted to get my new ruler crowned by the pope, but instead of paying the Pope a tribute, he asked me to fight a war against this excommunicated ruler. I lost track of the guy I was supposed to fight, and it didn't make me go to war with him automatically, and I'm still uncoordinated. I am also unable to click on the "Organize Coronation ceremony" again because it says I am under a quest by the Pope to go to war with an excommunicated ruler, I'm getting worried I won't be able to get coronated at all.

TL; DR: I wanted to get crowned by Pope, but instead of me paying him money, I had to fight this excommunicated guy. Lost track of the guy and still uncoordinated 10 years into my reign, anyway to get out of this mess?

I lost track of the guy I was supposed to fight, and it didn't make me go to war with him automatically, and I'm still uncoordinated. I am also unable to click on the "Organize Coronation ceremony" again because it says I am under a quest by the Pope to go to war with an excommunicated ruler, I'm getting worried I won't be able to get coronated at all.

This sounds really unfortunate. I've never accepted the Pope's request to fight an excommunicated ruler, so I'm not sure if this will work, but here are some ideas:

1. Click on the Pope's portrait, and see if there are any options that may give you the targeted rulers name.
  2. Check the claims or character modifier sections for your ruler, and see if the target is listed there?
  3. You could go to the character finder, filter on ruler's of your religion, and type "excommunicated" in the search box. You might get a lot of characters listed this way, but maybe one of the names listed will spark a memory.

Hope this helps!

Question on exclave independence :

- Will this trigger whether the exclave in question is held :

(1) directly by the Top Liege personally as part of his demesne; or

(2) indirectly by a vassal ?

Or does the event happen on both occasions ?

Question on exclave independence :

- Will this trigger whether the exclave in question is held :

(1) directly by the Top Liege personally as part of his demesne; or

(2) indirectly by a vassal ?

Or does the event happen on both occasions ?

In general, it will happen on both occasions. However, in some very specific cases, it might only happen in one or the other.

For example: Emperor of Britannia is also king of Hungary (and has no other holdings/vassals outside de jure Britannia/Hungary). Hungary is an exclave (landlocked & not connected) but, because it's part of his de jure holdings, the emperor will keep it on succession. However, if he creates a vassal king/viceroy in Hungary, that vassal will become independent on succession. In the latter case, if the emperor held counties in Hungary as part of his demesne, he would lose those counties.

In general, it will happen on both occasions. However, in some very specific cases, it might only happen in one or the other.

For example: Emperor of Britannia is also king of Hungary (and has no other holdings/vassals outside de jure Britannia/Hungary). Hungary is an exclave (landlocked & not connected) but, because it's part of his de jure holdings, the emperor will keep it on succession. However, if he creates a vassal king/viceroy in Hungary, that vassal will become independent on succession. In the latter case, if the emperor held counties in Hungary as part of his demesne, he would lose those counties.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

I have some questions about how assassination plots work.

For example:

1. If you plot against someone who is landed you can invite their vassals to the plot. Do these vassals need to be at the same location as the target for events to fire?

2. If the character is a council member and is sent to do a job in another county, can people in their court still trigger assassination attempts?

3. If I am plotting against my liege and he has me leading troops in a location where he isn't, does that stop me from being able to trigger attempts?

• 1Like
Reactions:
@unmerged(533989) if you want assistance with completing that old forum account merge, please lodge a support ticket at paradox.zendesk.com , thanks.

Question about succession,

I am empress of HRE.
Married to Abbasid Caliph in a matrilineal marriage.
Have a son, then a daughter with the Caliph.

1. My heir is my first son (who is also the Caliphs first son). But the caliphs heir is a daughter from another marriage, whom was born after our two children. Why is that? Why is our first son not the heir of both HRE and Abbassid Caliphate?

2. I hold 5 kingdom titles. My son was to inherit them all. But when my daughter was born, 3 kingdom titles will be lost to her. How do I prevent this? I want my current heir to inherit all the titles.

I am willing to use the console commands to change laws but not too much cheating.

HRE Gender law:
Absolute Cognatic Primogeniture

HRE Succession law:
Seniority

Game settings:
Matrilineal marriages allowed
Full woman authority

Question about succession,

I am empress of HRE.
Married to Abbasid Caliph in a matrilineal marriage.
Have a son, then a daughter with the Caliph.

1. My heir is my first son (who is also the Caliphs first son). But the caliphs heir is a daughter from another marriage, whom was born after our two children. Why is that? Why is our first son not the heir of both HRE and Abbassid Caliphate?

HRE Gender law:
Absolute Cognatic Primogeniture

HRE Succession law:
Seniority

Game settings:
Matrilineal marriages allowed
Full woman authority

Assumptions:
  • You have the Conclave DLC active.
  • The Abbasid Caliph:
    • is Sunni;
    • is emperor-tier;
    • is Iqta;
    • has Absolute Cognatic (Muslim) Open succession;
    • holds the duke-level Sunni Caliphate; and
    • has at least 2 holdings in his demesne (see below).
  • HRE succession is Absolute Cognatic Primogeniture
    • Your post doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise: HRE Gender Law = Ab Cog Primo vs HRE Succ Law = Seniority
  • "Full woman authority" means Gender Equality= "All"
    • Because otherwise, it would (probably?) be impossible for a female Muslim to inherit anything. However, this conflicts with the fact that you have specified gender laws - according to the wiki, the gender laws are unavailable on this setting.

Re 2 demesne holdings: I am not an expert on what will happen if the Sunni Caliphate is due to be inherited by a non-Sunni. I suspect there will be some weirdness. However, as long as the Caliph has at least 2 holdings in his demesne, it'll be possible for the inheritance to be split between a Sunni and non-Sunni. Hopefully that'll prevent the worst of the weirdness.

Abbasid succession:
  • It sounds like the Caliph has children by his other wives.
    • If so, he can control his succession by giving the other children some land - at which point, they will take precedence over your children. (Unless your children are also landed and are more powerful.)
  • Do the Caliph's empire- or king-tier titles have the "Regulated Inheritance" crown law?
    • If so, these titles cannot be inherited by any of your heirs (*), any of your vassals, or any of your vassals' heirs (*).
    • However, if you (the empress) died before your husband (the Caliph) and your son inherited your empire, he would become eligible to inherit the Caliph's empire.
  • Did you recently create a vassal MR?
    • If so, this messes up your succession. Save/reload (or "recalc_succ") to fix.

2. I hold 5 kingdom titles. My son was to inherit them all. But when my daughter was born, 3 kingdom titles will be lost to her. How do I prevent this? I want my current heir to inherit all the titles.

I am willing to use the console commands to change laws but not too much cheating.

Kingdoms:

Perhaps some of the kingdoms are set to Gavelkind inheritance? If so, change them to Primo. (Using "allow_laws", if necessary.)

Getting your son the Abbasid empire:

Once you've got your own succession sorted out (and your husband the Caliph is still alive), kill yourself (either via console or via risky behaviour). Your son the new emperor should become first in line to inherit the Abbasid empire, as he's the most powerful son of the current Caliph (although you may need to "recalc_succ").

Alternatively, let the succession in the Abbasid Caliphate play out naturally. When your son inherits your empire, press his claim on the Caliphate.

(*) This is probably not exactly correct, but it's close enough for our purposes. (Eg: If one of these heirs was independent, he might be eligible.)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Heho!

I've got a controlled inheritance question.

Setup: Player char has an emperor title, a de-jure king dies. A relative of his got lucky in a crusade and got himself a crusader kingdom (jerusalem). He's independent.
So now this king of jerusalem inherits my vassal's kingdom, which then leaves my realm.
Player realm crown laws (both kingdom & empire) have controlled realm inheritance set to illegal.

Is this working as intended?

Heho!
I've got a controlled inheritance question.
Setup: Player char has an emperor title, a de-jure king dies.
So now this king of jerusalem inherits my vassal's kingdom, which then leaves my realm.
Player realm crown laws (both kingdom & empire) have controlled realm inheritance set to illegal.
Is this working as intended?

De-jure king you say,..hmmm...can you upload a save file before inheritance took place ?

De-jure king you say,..hmmm...can you upload a save file before inheritance took place ?

Don't have it. Iron man and it was too small beans to savescum for.

But it's an easy enough setup to recreate. Savegame is there. Console-kill the king of Lotharingia (kill 11030).
In my game, the kingdom leaves the HRE. And I'm not sure it should.

In my game, the kingdom leaves the HRE. And I'm not sure it should.
Hmm..
Tested it several times, let the game run ten days first, then killed him through console and the title remains inside your realm and gets inherited
by Gerhard Chatenois, the duke of Upper Lorraine, just as it says in the tooltip before death.

PS: Still i recognised , that before letting the game run a few days , that initially it is indeed mentioning the king of Jeruasalem as heir
and that he also indeed inherits, AS LONG as i don't let the game run a bit before killing the king of Lotharingia.

Probably that old bug/issue where the game doesn't recalculate inheirtance in time or correctly and where reloading often helps.
Might be a memory issue, might be a scheduling inheritance check issue, i don't know..

You could still report it.
Can't hurt. Who knows, maybe we still get a patch some day and maybe they'll do find a way to address the issue.
Dreams can't hurt, even the cruel ones.
MfvvyDB.gif

Last edited: