• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
interesting..

is it possible I banished someone, and the effect of -20 was cumulative to 3 titles I took in the process? whenever I banish or revoke, it never seems consistent with the penalty description.

Each county adds 10 to the infamy, there are other factors though. Ducal titles, while increasing the infamy, do not seem to show up in the expected tyranny value.

Edit: that's not right, need to test something.

So I only have one guy in prison, the Duke of York.
Currently he holds 1 county, and 1 duchy. tooltip says 20, if I banish it's 60
If I revoke the duchy, the banish becomes 20, and the tooltip says 20.
Each county I grant him before banish, adds 10 to the tooltip, and actual.
Each duchy I grant him adds 20 to the actual, but not the tooltip.

It could be that a count is a base 10 + 10 per county, or 20 infamy, 10 if it was granted.
It could be that banishing a duke is a base 20 + 20 per duchy, +10 per county, or 40 per duchy, 20 per county, halved if it was granted.
Infamy tied to duchies doesn't seem to show up on the tooltip.

Just a question about military:

In my games in almost every case the side won the battle which had more troops. The composition of the army didnt matter.
This is for me a very strange behavior of medieval fighting.

Especially bigger armies with not so good heavy fighting units should have more losses and should not win against an army without much light inf, archers and light cav, but usually only the amount of men decides the battle. If this is right it would make for me no sense to build the barracks for the hvy inf and I would more of the buildings of the "cannonfodder" units like light inf.

What do you say?
In sufficient numbers, the better troop will win the fight. For instance Holy Orders, which are lots of heavy infantry and cavalry, can beat significantly larger armies. Facing 3 to one odds though, I don't know if even they could win.

Last edited:
How do I know if my daughters or sons will leave my court in a foreign marriage? Who's lineage would the child(ren) belong to?

How do I know if my daughters or sons will leave my court in a foreign marriage? Who's lineage would the child(ren) belong to?

A son will leave the court if you marry him matrilinearly, and stays there if you marry regularly. A daughter will leave if you marry her regularly, and stays if you marry matrilinearly.

Edit: The son's children will be your dynasty if the marriage is a regular one, and other dynasty if it's a matrilinear one. The daughter's children will be your dynasty if the marriage is matrilinear, and other dynasty if it's a regular marriage.

Edit2: In simple terms:
normal marriage = husband's dynasty, husband's court
matrilinear marriage = wife's dynasty, wife's court

If I lower Crown Authority, do I lose laws that required the higher Crown Authority to implement? For instance, I adopted High Crown Authority in order to get Primogeniture succession. If I go back to Medium Crown Authority now, will it reset my succession law?

Does anyone know whether the "improved relations" opinion bonus can stack? In other words, once I've used my Chaplain to improve relations with a bishop and got the +25, is there any benefit to leaving him there (aside from possibly reducing his opinion of the Pope)? Same question for the Chancellor and improving diplomatic relations with say a mayor or count.

How do i get the messages at the top of the screen (like create a title etc) back, didnt mean to disable them :(
Quiting and reloading might do it.

If I lower Crown Authority, do I lose laws that required the higher Crown Authority to implement? For instance, I adopted High Crown Authority in order to get Primogeniture succession. If I go back to Medium Crown Authority now, will it reset my succession law?

Nope, you keep them.

Does anyone know whether the "improved relations" opinion bonus can stack? In other words, once I've used my Chaplain to improve relations with a bishop and got the +25, is there any benefit to leaving him there (aside from possibly reducing his opinion of the Pope)? Same question for the Chancellor and improving diplomatic relations with say a mayor or count.

They do stack, and they also wear off in time.

A son will leave the court if you marry him matrilinearly, and stays there if you marry regularly. A daughter will leave if you marry her regularly, and stays if you marry matrilinearly.

Edit: The son's children will be your dynasty if the marriage is a regular one, and other dynasty if it's a matrilinear one. The daughter's children will be your dynasty if the marriage is matrilinear, and other dynasty if it's a regular marriage.

Minor addition, if one spouse has a title, the other spouse will go to them, regardless of marriage type. While if they both have land, they each stay in their own courts, children still happen. ;)

Last edited:
So after all which is the best statistic overall? I´m leaning towards stewardship, at least if you are a ruler with lots of lands nothing beats it. Not to mention the economy research improvement.

So after all which is the best statistic overall? I´m leaning towards stewardship, at least if you are a ruler with lots of lands nothing beats it. Not to mention the economy research improvement.

That really depends on many things, does it not? ;) I would say that diplomacy and stewardship is pretty important, at least for me when I play. I feel that you get much for free with a king with high diplomacy in the vassal/liege relationship. Martial stats can always be increased by a good vassal, and you don't have to use your king in battle (actually I try to avoid it). As for the other two so are they really more of bonuses for me if my ruler happens to get good stats in those :D

Depends what's important at the time, but in a ruler I would aim for stewardship and learning. Stewardship for larger demesne, and extra money from your demesne. Learning helps all 3 techs. Intrigue helps immensely when you need that assassination to work. Diplo is amazing when you start having more and more vassals, 'specially if they are the wrong culture, which means more money and larger levies. Military can't be overlooked either, remember you do lead armies.
I'd say, while small, intrigue and martial, as you get larger, stewardship and diplo. Learning is always good.

Last edited:
I take it this is open for general questions.

How do I dispose/replace mayors or titleholders of defeated foes? I'm playing as Aragon and I'd rather not have rebellious moors acting as my vassals or courtiers once I've conquered them.

If you conquer all the holdings in a province, you own all of them when you take control after you make peace. If you didn't conquer all the holdings in a province before you make peace the vassals remain in place in the unconquered holdings. So make sure you turn down a peace offer if it offers you the land before you've conquered all the holdings as all you need to gain that province is to have occupied the county seat. Does that answer your question?

Can I make one of my family members a bishop? How would that work?

Yes you can. First you need a bishopric to hand out, then it's like when you hand out normal titles. I wouldn't recommend it though...

This isn't quite right. If you marry a landless man to a landed woman, the man will go to the woman's court. His children will be of your dynasty and should inherit, so it's an excellent strategy for expanding your dynasty. There aren't many landed women, but you should snap them up if you can.

Where's the danger in keeping a few of your sons unlanded? They can't rebel if they control no levies.

Where's the danger in keeping a few of your sons unlanded? They can't rebel if they control no levies.

Prestige hit. Also if unlanded, they are unable to spread your dynasty to title, without you marrying them to unmarried titled ladies.
Keeping sons unlanded is a very effective way to minimize civil war risk, but comes at a cost.

I take it this is open for general questions.

How do I dispose/replace mayors or titleholders of defeated foes? I'm playing as A

Aragon and I'd rather not have rebellious moors acting as my vassals or courtiers once I've conquered them.

AFAIK, you gain all titles in a county taken from infidels if you occupy each holding. So everythin unheld, retains it original baron.