• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If ruler A defeats ruler B's raiders in a battle, ruler B will be unable to raid ruler A for 5(?) years.

Did one of your raiding parties recently lose a battle against West Francia?

No, none of my raiding parties have even fought a battle in decades.

Would vassals trigger this? Not sure if any of them are raiding, but I did see the Duke of Jamtland marching a small army through northern France. I think he's trying to invade what's left of Brittany though so they're probably not set to raid.

Edit: Aha! Found it! There's a little green icon like the province modifiers (which I usually ignore because why would I care about some temporary modifier to one province in someone else's realm?) - "Settled Adventurer", West Francia apparently gave a province to an adventurer, and that (for some reason) protects against raiding for some number of years. At least 4.5 because that's how long this one has left to run.

Last edited:
Edit: Aha! Found it! There's a little green icon like the province modifiers (which I usually ignore because why would I care about some temporary modifier to one province in someone else's realm?) - "Settled Adventurer", West Francia apparently gave a province to an adventurer, and that (for some reason) protects against raiding for some number of years. At least 4.5 because that's how long this one has left to run.

Congrats for spotting this - I always forget about it because I see it so rarely.

Would vassals trigger this?

For anyone from the future who'e looking back at this: no, vassals would not trigger this. The hidden "defeated raiders in battle" flag is personal - if either ruler dies (or is usurped) then it is cleared (or irrelevant).

Reactions:
How debilitating exactly is the bad tactic that Craven can fire? Like, if I can get my character up to like 26 martial with multiple leadership traits, but she still has Craven, is she worth putting in a flank over a commander with like 11 or 12 martial but no bad traits like craven?

How debilitating exactly is the bad tactic that Craven can fire? Like, if I can get my character up to like 26 martial with multiple leadership traits, but she still has Craven, is she worth putting in a flank over a commander with like 11 or 12 martial but no bad traits like craven?

Not directly answering your question because I can't quantify how bad it is.

However, it's worth bearing in mind that there are battlefield events that allow you to lose craven and gain brave. If you are going to win a battle despite the craven trait (eg. overwhelming numbers) then it may be worth putting him in there in case he gets the event.

Also, your army gets a morale bonus when your ruler is leading his own troops.

Overall, if I had a craven 26 martial commander (and it wouldn't be a tragedy if he died) (and I didn't need him to stay at home so WoL focus events could trigger), then I would use him to lead troops.

Last edited:
Reactions:
When nomad, is there a way to become a clan under a different khagan/liege(in a different realm ofc)?

What you seem to be asking is whether it's possible to switch from being khan of clan X in khaganate A to being khan of clan X in khaganate B.

I don't think it's possible to do this directly. However, I think you can do this by adding an intermediate step: acquire a different khaganate title. Khan of clan X in khaganate A -> khagan (of clan X) in khaganate B -> khan of clan X in khaganate B.

There are two ways I can think of to do acquire that khaganate title:
  1. Become independent from your original khagan, which gives you a new khaganate title named after your dynasty; or
  2. Acquire a claim on another khaganate via marriage, and successfully press the claim.
Once you are an independent khagan of a different khaganate, you simply need to lose the khagan title. You can do this naturally on succession, if you can afford to wait and if you can arrange for your heir to be a child. Or you can accelerate the process by provoking and then losing an "overthrow khagan" war (eg. via a tyranny action vs a vassal khan).

What you seem to be asking is whether it's possible to switch from being khan of clan X in khaganate A to being khan of clan X in khaganate B.
(quote shortened)

Didn't realize how badly worded my question was. I'm basically trying to emulate swearing fealty to a huge threatening neighbor, since being nomad doesn't allow that directly with the title tiers available. Becoming tributary isn't the option I want either, since I'd like to be able to harass his other clans/expand inside his terrirory.

Peaceful succession route doesn't seem possible, because his clans are of different culture, which will make successor invalid for either their or my clan(unless I get him or his mother in my court after he inherits but while he's still a child, and educate him to my culture).

Pushing heirs claim in a war would require attacking top liege, which would probably end poorly for me.

This current run it seems to have become a non issue because I managed to expand elsewhere due to lucky revolts/wars, but I'd like to know my options for the future.

Didn't realize how badly worded my question was. I'm basically trying to emulate swearing fealty to a huge threatening neighbor, since being nomad doesn't allow that directly with the title tiers available. Becoming tributary isn't the option I want either, since I'd like to be able to harass his other clans/expand inside his terrirory.

Peaceful succession route doesn't seem possible, because his clans are of different culture, which will make successor invalid for either their or my clan(unless I get him or his mother in my court after he inherits but while he's still a child, and educate him to my culture).

Pushing heirs claim in a war would require attacking top liege, which would probably end poorly for me.

This current run it seems to have become a non issue because I managed to expand elsewhere due to lucky revolts/wars, but I'd like to know my options for the future.

Again, trying to understand what you're asking for: You are currently khagan (of clan X) in khaganate A and you want to become khan (of clan X) in khaganate B. Further, you (khagan of A) are weak and the khaganate of B is strong.

This is... not really possible.

First, khagans are emperor-tier, so they cannot swear fealty or become vassals of another khagan. Further, nomads cannot be subjugated by war, so it's not even possible to (somehow?!) persuade the AI to subjugate you. And you have ruled out the option of becoming a tributary. Overall, I don't think there is any way to do this that is either fully peaceful or only requires you to surrender to a war.

You could do this by winning an offensive war (downgrade to khan, follow the steps in my previous post); but you have stated that the khaganate that you want to join is much stronger than you. As long as that's true, winning an offensive war seems unlikely.

---

In general, playing as a nomad is a dog-eat-dog game. You need to become stronger than your neighbours, and then take their land, and continue snowballing until you get bored. It's very possible, even with a relatively small and powerless start. The key, however, is money: get as much as you can, in any way you can, and use it on mercs, so that you are (temporarily) powerful enough to challenge your larger neighbours.

Reactions:
In my Republic of Amalfi play-through, I just created the Empire (Principality) of Italia. So now there are some things I need to know that I hope someone here can tell me.

1. Can a merchant republic have a vassal merchant republic? If, for example, I as empire-tier Amalfi press a claim on Venice or Genoa, what happens to their patricians and trade posts? Business as usual except under me, they're destroyed, I take over all their property, some other option?

2. I currently hold the Grand City of Rome, and a couple other cities in the county. If I vassalize the Pope and/or reinstate the Papacy in Rome, how much of that would I lose?

3. I'm itching to declare bigger wars than those endless "seize trade post, seize city, seize county" rotations, and I miss the days when I could holy war the Ummayyads. All of the Mediterranean coast is Christian now, all Catholic except for the BE, which is the biggest power in the region (not counting me). If I were to change religion to an Orthodox heresy, this would allow me to declare holy wars against the BE without giving all the Catholics an excuse to gang up on me, correct? Or would I potentially get a crusade called on me because I hold Rome? (I'm playing with LoR, but no SoA, MM, or HF, out of the ones that seem applicable here.) Which would you recommend, vassalizing the Pope or going heretical Orthodox?

For background: I have the biggest army by far, around 60K - mostly retinue, a big part of it light skirmishers - with all the other big ones coming in at 20-30K each. Catholics and Orthodox both have their MA at 100. I own lots of coastal territory around the Mediterranean, from Granada and Maghreb to the Most Serene Republic of Jerusalem. My goals are to A) control all the trade zones in the Med, and possibly B) own all the Mediterranean coastal counties. Trade zone-wise I'm maybe 80% of the way there, for coastal counties more like half, and the year is 1075.

1. Can a merchant republic have a vassal merchant republic? If, for example, I as empire-tier Amalfi press a claim on Venice or Genoa, what happens to their patricians and trade posts? Business as usual except under me, they're destroyed, I take over all their property, some other option?

You cannot have direct MR vassals.

If you take the all of the duke+ titles of Genoa/Venice, the MR will be destroyed. (IE: All patrician titles, family palaces and trade posts will be destroyed.) It would have been nice if MR mergers were possible, but they simply aren't. (And I don't think it's moddable either - I think that most/all MR features are hardcoded in the engine.)

As an empire-tire MR, you can in theory have indirect MR vassals (empire MR -> feudal king -> duchy MR) but the situation is pretty unstable: one revolt and *poof* the MR is gone.

2. I currently hold the Grand City of Rome, and a couple other cities in the county. If I vassalize the Pope and/or reinstate the Papacy in Rome, how much of that would I lose?

If you vassalise the Pope (eg. via Antipapal war), I don't think you'll lose anything. (Unless you choose to give it away for role-play reasons.)

I'm not sure of the precise consequences of reinstating the Papacy - it's not a decision I'm presented with very often. However, I suspect it'll give the Pope all of your holdings in the county of Rome - ie. you'd lose all of it.

3. I'm itching to declare bigger wars than those endless "seize trade post, seize city, seize county" rotations, and I miss the days when I could holy war the Ummayyads. All of the Mediterranean coast is Christian now, all Catholic except for the BE, which is the biggest power in the region (not counting me). If I were to change religion to an Orthodox heresy, this would allow me to declare holy wars against the BE without giving all the Catholics an excuse to gang up on me, correct? Or would I potentially get a crusade called on me because I hold Rome? (I'm playing with LoR, but no SoA, MM, or HF, out of the ones that seem applicable here.) Which would you recommend, vassalizing the Pope or going heretical Orthodox?

The Pope cannot declare a Crusade on any character whose religion is in the Orthodox group. (Apart from the special Fourth Crusade vs Byzantium.)

However, if you vassalise the Pope, he can't ever declare a Crusade on you - even if you are Lollard/Muslim/Pagan/etc. In other words: why not both?! Vassalise the Pope, then go heretic in safety.

What is the province id of Augsburg county in Duchy of Swabia? Wiki is not updated and I can't find the county when searching provinces.
It's index 894, tag c_kempten

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ugh, is this yet another bug? Noticed my vassals whom I got from surrendering to minor clan uprisings are both "tribal" while they still have nomad government type. They have chiefdom title under their clan title, which neghboring AI clans don't seem to have.

Is this just for me to able to have a claim on their county? But it seems to affect their decision making, because there's tribal vassal ++++ opinion when calling to war.
ck2_66.pngck2_67.pngck2_68.pngck2_69.pngck2_70.pngck2_71.png

Noticed my vassals whom I got from surrendering to minor clan uprisings are both "tribal" while they still have nomad government type.

I don't get from the pictures how you come to the conclusion that they are tribal, espeically as you correctly say that they are of nomad
government type. The "Tribal Vassal" mentioned as condition in a tooltip ?

Reactions:
Is there any way to mass revoke titles? I am on a rather dominating Caliphate run and the real thing slowing me down is the time it takes to manually revoke titles one after the other from the Kings all the way down to the little barons.

Is there a message setting to alert me to my Chaplain randomly becoming a heretic? It makes a big difference to conversion time; the tooltip originally said 20% chance/year, which I believe is the maximum possible (Germanic has 100% MA, Old Germanic has 0%, Seer has 23 Learning). By the time I started wondering "Shouldn't that province have converted by now? What's going on?" and realized she'd somehow turned Old Germanic, several years had passed. Tooltip probability was around 1.3%/year, since it makes sense that a heretic wouldn't work very hard to convert heretics...

I looked in the message settings but couldn't find anything. But maybe it's hidden in some really counter-intuitive place? Surely there must be a way to have the game convey something like this, right?

Not sure how she became a heretic either. I guess there's an unstated probability that when you try to convert a province, sometimes the province converts you? (Seems like that should only happen in Russia).

There is a 'priest embraces heresy' event, but with that you're very much notified because the priest writes you a letter asking you to join them in their heretical ways, and you have the option to agree, or to go "guards! sieze the heretic!" and replace them.

...however, that event is only on the research cultural tech mission. It won't happen while proselytising. I can only assume that an event unrelated to the council task--being approached by a friend, or recruited to a cult--caused this conversion.

Reactions:
Is there any way to mass revoke titles? I am on a rather dominating Caliphate run and the real thing slowing me down is the time it takes to manually revoke titles one after the other from the Kings all the way down to the little barons.

Unfortunately, there is not.

Even worse, these kinds of mass revokes can lead to significant penalties due to being (temporarily) waaaay over your demesne and vassal limit. (Which you can work around by pre-raising the levies.) And also, they might refuse (leading to potentially-very-large civil wars).

In order to mitigate the massive revolts (and to ensure that the worst opinion penalties apply for the shortest possible time), I normally revoke titles from the top down (kingdoms -> duchies -> counties -> baronies), and ensure that there are troops in the area to put down any revolts. In order to mitigate the loss of levies, I raise them before the revocation starts, and only disband them a few months after I've finished handing out the titles (when my demesne force limit is back to normal). And, of course, it helps to have more personal troops than the rest of your vassals put together (so that factions don't get out of hand). Altogether, assuming there are no substantial revolts, this process takes about 1-2 in-game years.

EDIT - Not sure what the disagreement is about. If I'm wrong about something, I'd appreciate a correction!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Unfortunately, there is not.

Pity. I do the same in terms of how to take stuff it just takes so long when you stomp on those lands with a big kingdom invasion to replace them all.