• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohanLerstrom

Paradox Dev
Paradox Staff
2 Badges
Oct 4, 2010
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
Hello Crusader Kings fans!

As promised we are launching the open beta for 2.3 today, and while it does not contain anything from the Way of Life Expansion ( You'll have to wait for the actual release before you can play that ) you'll be able to enjoy all the bugfixes and improvements we have done to the game to date. You'll also be able to help us make sure that the Way of Life launch is as smooth as silk, since hopefully the combined effort of all of our dedicated fans and our hard-working QA department will be able to find all the issues that crop up between 2.2.1 and the 2.3 launch.

Before the speculations run rampant I need to tell you all that Way of Life is a fairly small and very "focused" expansion, it will consist mostly of events ( lots of them though ) and only one significant mechanics change. Its effect on Role-playing and immersion should not be understated however.

Normally, we don't do open beta patches before the release of a new expansion (a policy that is not about to change), but in this case it was easy to separate the DLC content from the patch content. We also want to make sure that everything is sound before the holidays are upon us!

Keep in mind that this is a beta branch, so there could still be bugs, crashes and odd behaviour, use at your own risk.
If you want to use the beta branch, right click the game in the Steam client, choose Properties, click the "Betas" tab and select the "Beta 2.2.1.1" version of the game.

Here is the changelog:

MAJOR:
- Reduced the amount of money the pope gets from bishops ( from 40% of tax to 10% of tax for Popes, 20% to 5% for Anti-Popes )
- Added a whole event system for husbands to find out if their wife/concubine has been unfaithful (after "Doubt besets me...")
- Multithreaded startup of the game
- Fixed crash caused by destroyed settlements by Viking looters
- Fixed probable OOS
- Fixed crash when missing certain Unit Pack DLC's
- Fixed memory leak when calculating subunits monthly cost.

MINOR:
- Winning and losing wars now tends to give more nicknames
- Decadence Revolts: Boosted troop strengths
- Decadence Revolts: Vassals more likely to go independent
- Decadence Revolts: the revolt winner no longer gets any claims on vassals that go independent
- Expanded on the Lunatic gained event (6020). Now more common, and with different texts depending on your situation
- Fixed an issue with gavelkind where, if your primary kingdom or empire was titular, it could cause strangeness
- Fixed a bug with the 'holy_war' acquisition method not showing up in title history
- Added some missing acquisition types to the CBs
- Fixed a bug with elective gavelkind in empires with secondary kingdoms where your de facto capital and kingdom did not go to your primary heir
- Winning claim wars on the liege (or when a liege folds to a claimant demand) will no longer incorrectly try to even out the de jure kingdom borders
- Optimized and fixed many bugs in the health events
- Fixed broken dynasty 8601 "de Cantabria"
- Fixed a bug in Charlemagne event CM.1076 preventing Charlemagne from getting a claim on whoever shelters Carloman's wife and children
- Fixed a bug in event 63100 causing issues when vassals change liege on succession due to being over the vassal limit
- Fixed a rare bug where landless title courts could contain random characters with no culture or religion
- Corrected some event border colors
- Tooltips on dead characters now list their primary tier titles
- Spouses now always only have personal opinions of each other
- All non-Muslims can now legitimize bastards
- All religions can now divorce their spouse if there is currently no religious head
- Added divorce reasons to character opinions and to the divorce interactions
- Tweaked the main bastard conception and lover gained events (450 and 456)
- Optimized the lookup of database files
- History province files will now only be loaded if they have correct name. The name need to be put in to the map definition file.
- The character screen no longer shows the score of the player.
- The character screen now shows how many troops that character can raise.
- It is now possible to cancel your own plot in your character screen.
- Demesne size and vassal limit is now visible in the character screen.
- The loading screen for the most recent dlc is now always shown first when loading the game.
- Tengri no longer get pagan homeland attrition penalty against other pagans.
- Reformed Zunists no longer have pagan defensive homeland attrition.
- Fixed CTD when resigning from games.
- Fixed broken options in events which used the religion = christian trigger.
- Fixed bug where the cost of vassal mercenaries were not calculated properly.
- Fixed bug where ironman saves became broken when creating a new save after loading an old one.
- AI will now prefer using CB's without piety and prestige costs.
- Fixed bug where elective gavelkind in some cases stole provinces from other realms on succession.
- Fixed crash when trying to host a save stored in a sub-directory.
- Viceroyalties can no longer be granted to characters outside your realm.
- Fixed crash when finishing constructions in settlements without a holder.
- Fixed issue where both tribal settlement conversion decisions were avaliable for republics.
- The decisions for forming the kingdom of Leon and Hungary is no longer allowed if the required kingdoms are viceroyalties.
- Fixed bug where the king-tier crown was used for all characters in the lobby regardless of their tier.
- Viceroys becoming unlanded will now hand back their viceroy title to their liege.
- Wars and truces are now visible in the character view.
- Fixed bug where the Assassin Resurface-event did not activate the title.
- Decadence tooltip now uses a consistent amount of decimals.
- Opening the chronicle now pauses the game if not in multiplayer.
- Fixed bug where Empires could be granted as viceroyalties (but did not do anything).
- Fixed bug where the family of Carloman sometimes fled to a revolt.
- Clarified the negative effects for tribal job troops if not used in the job action tooltip.
- Fixed bug where provinces where unselectable after resigning and starting a new game if that province was selected before resigning.
- Fixed issue where De Jure Region modifiers were clamped with Owner Martial Skill in the levy tooltip.
- Fixed history bug where character 30829 (Simone Drengot) had the wrong father.
- Fixed broken allow-trigger in landed_titles.
- Added missing message type GRANT_VICE_ROYALTY_INTERACTION_ACCEPT
- Fixed bug where prepared invasion troops were not properly dismissed when the invader died before declaring war.
- Duchy of Thessalonika is no longer set to be a viceroyalty when held by Latin Empire.
- Tweaked the stats of some early Norse characters.
- Isle of Man is now its own de jure duchy.
- Tweaks to Manx title names.
- Taking the "Become Kshatriya Caste" decision now also gives the Kshatriya caste trait to to any unlanded spouses or children in the ruler's court.
- Muslim rulers now correctly get a negative opinion against Byzantine emperor who renounces iconoclasm.
- Saxon Wars event can no longer trigger for non-feudal rulers.
- Added target list for great holy wars for reformed Zunists.
- Tweaked triggers for unlocking crusades and jihads (France and North Africa).
- Tweaked the chances for some ruler nicknames.
- Fixed the names for Church of Zun and West African Church (was wrong format).
- Fixed a bug where a coincillor could sometimes complain to liege about herself.
- Fixed the localisation for the Seljuk Turks title.
- Melitene province in Armenia is now properly considered mountainous terrain.
- Fixed a crash when selecting a lowborn theocracy at startup.

AI:
- Tweaked release from prison and execution logic
- Added AI choice scripts to the bastard is born event (301)

MODDING:
- Added a new insult and compliment system based on strings scripted into the traits. Used in texts with [GetFromRootInsult], [GetRootFromFromCompliment], etc
- Added 'modifier' fields to effects 'random_list' and 'random'
- The 'is_married' trigger can now take a target as well as a bool (like 'is_lover' and 'is_consort')
- Added many new nicknames
- Added possibility to set a specific discoverer to the 'reveal_plot' effect (reveal_plot = ROOT, etc)
- Added trigger 'plot_is_known_by'
- Added event effect 'usurp_title_plus_barony_if_unlanded_and_vassals_no_adj'
- Added trigger 'any_opinion_modifier_target'
- Added effects 'random_opinion_modifier_target' and 'any_opinion_modifier_target'
- Added combat rating modifier with triggers 'combat_rating' and 'combat_rating_diff'
- Added fromfromfromfrom scope targets
- Added optional 'as_if_liege' parameter to opinion triggers
- Added triggers 'personal_opinion', 'reverse_personal_opinion', 'personal_opinion_diff' and 'reverse_personal_opinion_diff'
(These do not take state diplomacy, laws or any other such state concerns into account)
- Moved to defines: MALE_ATTRACTION_CUTOFF and FEMALE_ATTRACTION_CUTOFF
- Added 'capital' console command
- Added event effect 'log'
- Added trigger 'has_polygamy'
- Added trigger 'has_concubinage'
- Character modifier descriptions now support text variables
- Added is_holy_site trigger
- Fixed a bug with effect scope any_allied_character
- Fixed a bug with effect scope random_allied_character
- All any-triggers now support the use of count = x
- Added variables to titles
- All variable trigger and effects now work with title variables
- Variables can be displayed with localization system
- Variable triggers and effects can compare variables between types of scopes (country/province)
- Fixed problems with the variable triggers check_variable and is_variable_equal
- Added cal_true_if trigger
- Added set_title_flag effect
- Added clr_title_flag effect
- Added has_title_flag trigger
- Added had_title_flag trigger
- Added save_event_target_as effect
- Added save_global_event_target_as effect
- Added clear_event_target effect
- Added clear_global_event_target effect
- Added clear_global_event_targets effect
- Added support for weighted cultural names
- Added support for weighted regnal names
- Added an on_startup on action
- Exported MAX_CROWN_LAW_CHANGES to defines
- Added support for localized nicknames
- Added effects convert_to_temple and convert_to_tribal
- Renamed effects convert_to_feudal and convert_to_republic to convert_to_castle and convert_to_city
- set_allow_free_duchy_revokation no longer only works for viceroyalties when Charlemagne is enabled
- Added a set_allow_free_vice_royalty_revokation effect
- Fixed bug where the any_independent_ruler and random_independent_ruler could target revolts.
- Added ignores_defensive_attrition effect for religions, used for religions that do not have defensive attrition but will still not get the penalty towards such religions.

CONVERTER:
- Made converter province mapping up to date with EU4 patch 1.8
- Fixed missing cultures for converter
- Buffed Jerusalem ideas
- Tweaked Aztec and Incan ideas
- Rebalanced hashashin, jerusalem, jewish, kinghts templar and roman ideas to accomodate new values in eu4
- Version compliance with eu4 1.8 patch in the generated mod file
- Gave cathar, fraticelli and waldensian new modifiers to their religion if you have SoA.
- Tech groups should now be up to date with EU4 patch 1.8
- Fixed crash bug when converting a game that has custom titles
- Fixed now so converter mod's no longer changes checksum
- Switched so Miaphysite is not dependent on SoA to become coptic
- Added Karling ideas

So is converter considered fixed?

Hopefully, I would love if you would give it a try and tell me if there are any edge cases I missed.

Groogy one question if changing from CK2 to EUIV as a reformed Rome it allows me to change to Byzantium and therefore get all the other decissions as Byzantium for reconquering the old empire. Shouldnt these be possible for Rome itself and shouldnt it be impossible for Rome to become Byzantium? This is from a far older version of CK2 but I suspect its still there.

Probably not, haven't looked at the Byzantium decision trigger but you could check if the improvement mod for the converter has done something about this.

Is it just me or are the converter files missing (I don't even see the folder)?

Moved to the DLC file, modding should still be the same however the eu4_converter folder is now in the root folder instead of the common folder.
This was to make patching/management and such boring stuff easier in regards to the converter.

I suppose that this probably is *really* low priority, but it would be nice if the (High American) New World provinces got a tax/manpower boost if SI is used. The Aztec forcelimit is quite low if they don't have lots of land in Europe, which makes them a pushover.

If you load it up and have a look at Inca and Maya, they are as rich and strong as Ming, but without mandate of heaven and some of the best ideas in the world. I hardly think they need a buff :happy:

Everything Thure wrote is correct. You guys have the patch available. Also remember these things are for free, you don't have to buy our expansions to get the patches. Of course the expansion specific parts are paid for.

Also Crusader Kings are far from ending it's life cycle.

As Groogy mentioned above, try to keep this thread about general impressions and feedback, and all bugs and issues to the Bug Report Forum. It will make our job of going through it all a lot easier. Thanks!

Still cannot murder 2nd/3rd/4th wife as Muslim, Paradox please fix.

Alternatively, make "first wife" a 'Honorary Title' so that players can make an undesired wife the 'first' and then murder her.

Haven't seen this myself, but I'll take a look into it.

Two Questions:
Is the Beta Patch forward and backwards Savegame compatible. So can I play on a game from 2.2.1, if I sign up for Beta Patch? And if I go back from beta to normal game (MP Session) could I continue games I started in Beta Branch?

During any Beta Patches, it's best to avoid continuing any save games (because, you know, betas are betas). However, we haven't done any major changes to gameplay or game mechanics. So as far as I know, once the patch goes live, most saved are most likely going to run fine (as always, no guarantee though), as the few saves I've tested myself so far hasn't stumbled into any issues.

I am hoping Paradox can make a change to the way the 'claimants' list is presented at the moment. I can see all the claimants to a title and I can hover over them and see their opinion of me and their traits etc like usual, however I can no longer click on them to open their character screen, allowing me to easily plot to kill them so my title is safe. If I click on their portrait it opens the diplomacy menu which I don't want or need.

Hoping Paradox can change the way the claimants list functions to how it was pre beta as it was much more user friendly. I am pretty happy with the other UI changes though, keep up the good work guys. :)

Yeah, this would obviously be a bug that you cannot go to a character's specific character view. We are aware of the issue though.

When i took the decision to change to local culture, I lost 500 prestige but the culture doesn't change.

Also a known issue. We are already looking into this one.

Love the new character interface :wub: but would appreciate a go to button...

This was discussed in another thread, I think. We will most likely bring back the "go to location" button. The new interface is not supposed to remove previous functionality after all. But to improve the game. Also, the character view used to tell you where a character is located, this has been moved to the character's tooltip in order to make room for the new layout. So check that out if you haven't already.

You have to hand it out as a vice royalty, not as a normal title.

Concerning culture switching. There are some issues that prevent most/all form of culture switching, both for provinces and characters. As Klein001 said, it has to do with something that broke the script used for the events. I've been busy flailing my arms at the programmers for them to fix it asap. :p

It's a known bug that resigning any general from any army causes a crash on this beta patch.

Yes, but this is already fixed on our side, and should be fixed in the next update.

Some dev said we will see a second beta for the patch maybe.

We want to put one out, but right before we are about to launch it to you guys we find something critical and obviously broken and that needs to be fixed, so the patch gets delayed every time until we fix those things. However we've been trying to get something for you guys to test for a day or two now and hopefully you'll get something today to have fun with during the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.