• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
CK2_Monks&Mystics_Startupbanner.png

Let’s Talk About Sects. Monks and Mystics Coming to CK2
Newest Expansion to Crusader Kings Increases Your Faith

STOCKHOLM – 2 December 2016 – The bells of the abbey summon monks to prayer while, a continent away, the faithful are summoned by a muezzin’s call. Religious practice imposes a schedule on the chaos of medieval life, and the routine adds harmony to a divided realm.

Routine and harmony. We can’t have that, can we?

Monks and Mystics is the latest expansion to Crusader Kings II, the hit medieval grand strategy role-playing game from Paradox Development Studio. In Monks and Mystics, the religious aspect of the game is further explored with new mechanics and character associations that can tie a faith closer together or render it asunder.

The major feature of Monks and Mystics is the addition of Societies – secret and otherwise. Characters can join monastic orders, secret cults and Gnostic heresies. As the society gains members, it gains power and prestige for its leaders. Societies open new actions for characters and can lead to new event paths.

Monks and Mystics includes:
Monastic Orders: With lay offices available to non-clerical characters, monastic orders will increase your character’s piety - but they have expectations.
Cults: Gnostic heresies may flourish and its is rumored that the worship of Satan continues in the darkened fringes of the world
Climb the Ranks: Characters work their way up the ladder of Societies, unlocking new abilities and triggering new event chains
Hunt for Heretics: Send your chaplain out to find secret societies that undermine the holy church and your realm. But what if the hunter is guilty himself?
Other New Councillor Actions: Your councillors have a fourth action that will make them more powerful and integral to sound rulership
And much more: Assassins, archaeological expeditions, holy relics, great treasures and more

Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics is coming soon to major digital retailers, including the Paradox Store.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Uhm, have I missed a bunch of dev diaries?
Also does this mean playable Monastic Orders or is it just the Assemble Mercenary Company option but with Piety instead of cash?

Reactions:
Uhm, have I missed a bunch of dev diaries?
Also does this mean playable Monastic Orders or is it just the Assemble Mercenary Company option but with Piety instead of cash?

I'm pretty sure the monastic order they are talking about are non-military in nature.

Reactions:
Unexpected indeed I mean damn I knew they had been working on it already but December?

It is interesting though. I've never really thought about monastic orders, and to be honest I'm having a hard time with what position a non-clerical person would have.

I wonder if they will be abstract or an actual holding? I've always sort of dreamed of monasteries, picturing them as a trade post like holding. But this sounds more abstract.

And as fascinating as secret societies sound, I'm equally interested in the not secret ones.

Reactions:
Logged in at just the right time. This opens so many new possibilities. Forming an order, get official recognition, expand your influence, get powerfull enough or rich enough that others see you as a threat and get excommunicated so your land and weath can be taken (Templars) then go underground and continue as freemasons. Would be great if you could play as an order.

Reactions:
Will theocracies be playable with this DLC?

As I understand, you can just join an Monastic Order as a layman, which gives you bonuses but you also need to help the Order whenever it is required.
Alternatively, one can join a secret society which gives its own perks, but you are trouble if you are discovered.

Reactions:
I'm pretty sure the monastic order they are talking about are non-military in nature.
reee where are my playable theocracies

Reactions:
Considering we got The Reaper's Due a bit over a month after its reveal trailer, could we expect the same with Monks and Mystics?

Could we *gasp* potentially hope for a Yule surprise?

Reactions:
As I understand, you can just join an Monastic Order as a layman, which gives you bonuses but you also need to help the Order whenever it is required.
Alternatively, one can join a secret society which gives its own perks, but you are trouble if you are discovered.

Well, much of bishophorics and arcbishophorics were sold to nobles or hereditary some times.

Maybe they will change temple holdnings into abbeys or churcjs, with abbot or priest title to holding tier, bidhop to county tier and archbishop to duchy trier.

Reactions:
Hmmm... It's exactly what I expected, which is a pity as I hoped it would be more. I guess this is a small DLC and the big one will be the last. Fair enough.

Reactions: