• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Doomdark

Chief Creative Officer
Paradox Staff
61 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
As you know, the Byzantine Empire is the theme of Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome and patch 1.07, and an integral part of the Empire was of course the Orthodox faith. So, today I'll talk about a feature we planned to put in the DLC, but later decided to make a free part of patch 1.07; Autocephalous Patriarchs and the Pentarchy.

The main difference between Orthodox Christianity and Catholicism is probably the lack of a single leader (although the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople is nominally the first among equals.) Instead, there are a number of practically autonomous Patriarchs, though they remain in communion with the rest of the Orthodox Church. This is called autocephaly, and we now represent this in the game by making the Court Chaplain in Orthodox kingdoms a Patriarch who is the religious head of everyone in the kingdom. He has power over excommunication and divorce over all characters in his jurisdiction, though only the Ecumenical Patriarch can grant invasions. Autocephalous Patriarchs have to be bishops (rule a temple Holding), preventing them from marrying or inheriting titles.

However, this is not all; we are also adding another concept called the Pentarchy. These are the five original heads of pre-schism Christianity; the bishops of Rome, Constantinople, Alexandria, Antioch and Jerusalem. If there is an Orthodox bishop in one of these Holdings, he will be considered a Pentarch, and will act like an autocephalous Patriarch over his entire traditional see (Orthodox kingdoms within such an area will not have their own Patriarchs.) Each reigning Pentarch will strengthen the authority of the entire Orthodox faith. Incidentally, this mechanic also has bearing on some key Decisions in Legacy of Rome (more on that in the next dev diary.)

LoR_04_Orthodoxy.jpg

As an added bonus, we are making the other forms of Oriental Christianity a bit more interesting. There is now a religion called Miaphysite, which includes the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Armenian Apostolic Church. In game terms, it's another version of Orthodoxy, with its head in Alexandria instead of Constantinople. It has the same mechanics with autocephalous Patriarchs and the Pentarchy as Orthodox Christianity, but is not considered a heresy by Catholics and Orthodox Christians. The Monophysite heresy is now a heresy of the Miaphysite Church. Lastly, most Orthodox heresies now also work like Orthodoxy itself, and we've added the Nestorian and Monothelite heresies.

LoR_04_Miaphysite.jpg
(Notice the African faces - they're another DLC in progress.)

The religious system with the new Orthodox features is of course fully moddable, though you cannot combine investiture and antipopes with the Pentarchy mechanic.

That's all for now. The next dev diary will be the last, and will deal with the unique decisions, events and mechanics in the Legacy of Rome DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! Release already! :)

How is succession controlled for created autocephalies? Normal church succession only or can the feudal sovereign interfere with appointments?

It's nice that religion of Ethiopia is no longer considered heresy. I had a Monophysite heretic pop up in my catholic Cyprus under orthodox Byzantium. That was weird.

Edit: also is that a black person on picture? Does that mean we will finally get black people in Africa instead of arabian-looking? Girls too?

After this Dev Diary I just start wonder about new DLC: "Fundamentals of Medieval Era", where Pope is choosen by groups of cardinals, instead of situation existed in current Crusader Kings, where Pope is non-cleric 26 years old guy :/

How is succession controlled for created autocephalies? Normal church succession only or can the feudal sovereign interfere with appointments?

Autocephalous Patriarchs are the "Court Chaplains" of Orthodox kings, pure and simple.

Will religious moral authority have more gameplay impacts with 1.07/LoR? Having 100 authority at the moment is not significantly different from having very low authority.

Autocephalous Patriarchs are the "Court Chaplains" of Orthodox kings, pure and simple.

I see. Thank you for your response, sir. So as court chaplains are appointed by the sovereign, that implies that these patriarchs are purely appointed, yes? Is this automatic for every orthodox kingdom, or do you have to actively choose to create an autocephaly within your kingdom?

Also, if I restore an orthodox patriarch to Rome, is there anyway to reflect the top spot of "honour" or is he stuck having having less honour authority (for invasions and stuff) than the patriarch in Constantinople?

Questions:

- How does the Invasion CB work for the Orthodox? Will it allow to (re)conquer whole non-Orthodox kingdoms? What are the conditions?

- Does the creation of the Miaphysite/Coptic religion have to do with some improvement in the balance of the Eastern African region?

Observations:

- The new black/North African face is AWESOME

- On the other hand, there seems to have been little improvement with the new Byzantine portrait, at least from what one can see from the screenshots…

Question I know you won’t answer to:

- What is the release date? :D

What will happen if the Bishop of Rome is Orthodox? How will this effect Catholicism, or for that matter Orthodoxy?

It will probably just increase Ortodox MA and reduce Catholic MA with Pope moved to another province (same way as if someone takes Rome from him now)

Does this only apply if the Orthodox kingdoms are independent?
For example, if the Byzantine Empire makes Georgia a vassal, would it instead fall under the authority of the Patriarch of Constantinople instead?

Will religious moral authority have more gameplay impacts with 1.07/LoR? Having 100 authority at the moment is not significantly different from having very low authority.

No, it basically only affects heresies still.

What will happen if the Bishop of Rome is Orthodox? How will this effect Catholicism, or for that matter Orthodoxy?

The Pope will still exist elsewhere, but there is another potential effect, which I will talk about next time.

Will there be Nestorian Georgians in a 1066 start game? My memory may be faulty, but I believe it lasted that long in Georgia?

I see. Thank you for your response, sir. So as court chaplains are appointed by the sovereign, that implies that these patriarchs are purely appointed, yes? Is this automatic for every orthodox kingdom, or do you have to actively choose to create an autocephaly within your kingdom?

It's automatic. If you have a court chaplain outside a Pentarchy, he will be an autocephalous patriach.

Also, if I restore an orthodox patriarch to Rome, is there anyway to reflect the top spot of "honour" or is he stuck having having less honour authority (for invasions and stuff) than the patriarch in Constantinople?

He will be stuck as a lesser patriarch, which is not ideal in theory, but plausible in practice.

Question I know you won’t answer to:

- What is the release date? :D

Lol, ok.
What is release date:
Date when a product, press release or news story will be released to the public. The release date is announced in advance to provide consumers and other interested parties specific details regarding the release. This may include the date, day, hour or even minute of the upcoming release. ;)

Anyway, http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/crusader-kings-ii-legacy-of-rome
RELEASE DATE
10/16/2012