• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's Wednesday, and time to answer some questions about the upcoming DLC for Crusader Kings II; Legacy of Rome. The focus of this mini-expansion is going to be the Byzantine Empire and the Orthodox church. First off, in order to clear up any confusion from the original announcement, it's a bit smaller in scope than the Sword of Islam so the price is set at $5.99. While I say it's smaller in scope, if you include all the stuff we're adding for free in the accompanying patch (v1.07) it's probably about the same size as SoI and v1.06.

So, let's take a look at what's in the DLC and what's in patch 1.07...

LEGACY OF ROME DLC

• Retinue system. If you don't have the DLC, you won't see the new interface and you cannot hire retinues (and neither will the AI.) The technology that controls the max size of your retinue and relative decrease of normal levy sizes simply does not have this effect without the DLC.
  • Orthodox Councillor models
  • Major Decisions for the Byzantine Empire
  • Byzantine Events

Oh, and we're taking another tack with the DLC this around - if you don't own the DLC, the AI won't be using the new mechanics or events either. Also, from now on in multiplayer mode, the host will control which DLCs are active.

PATCH 1.07

• Faction system. Replaces many existing plots and normal revolt mechanics with factions.
  • Personal Improvement Ambitions
  • Orthodox Patriarch system
  • Have both a Plot and an Ambition at the same time
  • Revised levy raising. (You raise a single, large levy from each direct vassal. The opinions of vassals of vassals are irrelevant.)
  • Leader Focus on Combat
  • More Cultural Buildings
  • Improved AI
  • Bug fixes (of course)

I will talk about all these features in detail in upcoming dev diaries, but for now, that's all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to this. For the levy raising if a vassal has 2 Duchies say Orleans and Toulouse then the levies for both would appear in Orleans? Also will ships all appear in one place (presumably a random port if a vassal has sea provinces but the capital is inland)?

Yes and yes.

Aren't they un historical ? I think, in france at least, the first standing army has been created by charle VII in 1445
Think of it more as a large personal guard. I assume France won't be able to raise all that many retinues though.

Sounds sweet. Once we have a theological DLC a republic DLC a trade DLC and a new shiny stuff DLC, I'll buy the bunch.

I felt that CK2 was a great basis, but lacked the depth and features to be as addicting as EU3:IN was for me. Didn't even finish 1 entire game with vanilla :(

That's why mod exists :D

Could I ask for something?

I want for the vassal to chose weather or not to supply the levy (In a defensive war they must) to add an extra dimension. Also allow a "Halfway" levy option. I think that this would make landgrabbing a little harder and less predictable.

And don't forget scutage!

Yeah, and will the levies of vassals of vassals depend on their opinion of their lord or is it just their lord's opinion of you?

So if I'm king of france with an opinion of 78 from the duke of X, and the count of Y has an opinion of 21 of Duke X and 83 of King of France, which does the levy pick from?

Last edited:
At least, if we have standing armies, will calling the ban(nermen) take time ? It'd be cool if you have to wait a week, time to raise all these bunch of peasants

also, any chance of things for modders ?

Last : Will we have an hostage system for looser in wars ?

Sounds great, Doomdark. :)

Will you be adding any new cultures this time around, like when we got Kurdish in the 1.06 patch?

I also sent you some stuff and have posted some butfixes for Armenians/Nubians in the bug forum.

Looking forward to this one. Thanks.

Oh, and could anything like this be implemented for 1.07 or 1.08 please?

A quicker way to manage all current plots would be ideal, as I do seem to spend a great deal of time going thru the list and trying to make people stop. Of course not everyone will do so, but it's still annoying.

Also in the Intrigue tab, buttons to execute, ransom or release all prisoners would be a real Godsend. There'd be no real downside to this, and it could list the total amount of gold you'd receive if you ransomed all applicable prisoners (ie those who can afford to be ransomed), or the total amount of piety and relations you'd lose for executing everyone. If you're fighting a king or emperor you can easily pick up about thirty mayors and bishops as prisoners, so something like this would be exceptionally useful.