• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BjornB

★Community Manager★
Paradox Staff
81 Badges
Apr 2, 2012
  • March of the Eagles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Starvoid
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
jadr_ck_forum_announce.jpg

“Jade Dragon” Pushes Borders Eastward with New Features Spanning India and Transoxiana

STOCKHOLM — Aug. 24, 2017 — Paradox Interactive, a stately pleasure palace devoted to ambitious rulers from all corners of the globe, announces a new expansion coming soon to Crusader Kings II. In “Jade Dragon,” the richest empire on earth looks to the west, seeking subjects and adventure.

In Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon, Paradox Development Studio introduces the Empire of China as an off-map influence that can give great rewards or great dangers to those whose realms lie in the shadow of the Dragon. Flatter the Emperor with gifts of gold or concubines. Ask favors from the mighty prince. Stay on the good side of his appointed marshals on your borders.

What’s the old saying about crisis being both “danger” and “opportunity”?

Paradox hopes you are not too Jaded to enjoy a new trailer:

Features coming in Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon include:
  • The Imperial Majesty Request: A new “China Screen” lays out the status and desires of the Emperor of China, letting you keep tabs on what he wants and how to earn his grace
  • Kow-tow For Now: Submit to the Empire as a tributary, always keeping an eye on the waning power of the Emperor, so you can time your escape to freedom
  • Adventure in the Great Wide Somewhere: Disgruntled princes or curious adventurers may leave China to seek their own fortune to the west.
  • Booty and the East: Collect wondrous new Chinese artifacts for your characters, and explore a new Silk Road system that adjusts returns based on China’s stability.
  • Rally Points: Instruct your levies to automatically gather up exactly where you want them.
  • Dictionary of Chinese Characters: New Chinese and Tibetan portraits and Chinese units bring the empire to life
  • Eight New Casus Bellis: You can never have enough

Release date and price will be revealed at a later date

Last edited:
Excellent to hear about the scope of the new expansion, looking forward to read the remaining details in the dev diaries.

EDIT: Weren't rally point a free 2.8 update feature rather than a Jade Dragon DLC component?

That was some very modern Hindi being spoken, what with English words for Dragon and porcelain. Maybe an English adventurer started the Raj early.

So there will be no new map but gaming features only? 7/10 Satisfaction achieved from a Chinese fan here, look forward for further news :p

After watching the stream I think I'm a little bit disappointed. It feels a tad emptier, narrower in scope, than MnM or Reaper's Due. A lot fewer possibilities for events. Maybe only now I'm starting to get the disappointment of not having China on the map :( But I suppose perhaps it'll be cheaper as a result.

• The Imperial Majesty Request: A new “China Screen” lays out the status and desires of the Emperor of China, letting you keep tabs on what he wants and how to earn his grace
  • Kow-tow For Now: Submit to the Empire as a tributary, always keeping an eye on the waning power of the Emperor, so you can time your escape to freedom
  • Adventure in the Great Wide Somewhere: Disgruntled princes or curious adventurers may leave China to seek their own fortune to the west.
  • Booty and the East: Collect wondrous new Chinese artifacts for your characters, and explore a new Silk Road system that adjusts returns based on China’s stability.
  • Rally Points: Instruct your levies to automatically gather up exactly where you want them.
  • Dictionary of Chinese Characters: New Chinese and Tibetan portraits and Chinese units bring the empire to life
  • Eight New Casus Bellis: You can never have enough

*slow clap*

I was hopeful that there essential featured would work to enhance China, not center around it... Here is a list of things that would have revolutionized the game and taken less effort:

-Cadet branches.

-Anything resembling ship combat.

-Autocratic government.

-Real viceroy system.

- Rework of crusades.

-Rework of councils.

-Rework of faction.

-Rework of life focuses.

-Knightly orders.

-Inland republic.

-Theocracies.

-Heir designation.

-High kings.

-Defacto authority.

To be frank China does deserve some representation, but you are overdoing it.

Glad to see that China is fianlly getting added in some form. Does this mean that we might see other off the map forces being represented in some form, such as eastern Mongol and Manchu tribes? Also, any plans to pay more attention to sub-Saharan Africa?

Anyone else feel like the cinematic was out of place? I mean I don't really think of India and Hindi when it's a China expansion.

An expansion where you get Chinese presence and new Taoist religion, but somehow the cinematic sounds like it's about India and Buddhism.

Also should put here that they confirmed that this will not be the last expansion, but it is nearing its end. So that sounds like one or two more to me. Crusades and Empires pleeeaaase!!!

Also should put here that they confirmed that this will not be the last expansion, but it is nearing its end. So that sounds like one or two more to me. Crusades and Empires pleeeaaase!!!
Empires as in unique bureaucracy? Or maybe we get that in the free 2.8 update?

Looks like fun. I don't know how much importance it will have for my game, as I normally play in Western or Southern Europe, but sounds like good fun nevertheless.

Empires as in unique bureaucracy? Or maybe we get that in the free 2.8 update?
Yeah, that, and empire stuff in general I'm hoping for. For example a way to make them decline.

And no, nothing of the like is coming in the new DLC or patch. There's two new government types: one is unplayable (western protectorate) and the other (monastic feudalism) restricted to Tibet.