• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is a very strange decision out of the blue. Why not just let it stay like right now and let people enjoy them at their own preferred pace? I've long completed enough to get all the rewards, but I enjoy playing them for fun and trying to get gold in every single one of them. Why the rush all of a sudden?

If anything let it stay for those of us who's pre-ordered CKIII, if that's your concern....

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hey everyone,

CK2's Monarch's Journey will officially retire on the 2nd of September, once Crusader Kings III is released.
We are very thankful for the community, and players, who enjoyed our challenges!

You can still read the Rulers' stories in our thread about the Monarch's Journeys
We are also running regular mini-activities Stories of the World called "Did You Know?", "Where Are We?" and "Guess The Character" if you want to follow along :)

Reactions:
Hello and thanks for the announcement
So it means that CK2 Monarch's Journey rulers won't be playable after Sep 2nd?
I'm not talking on getting the cosmetic bonus, just playing the featured characters and fill the objectives

• 3Like
Reactions:
CK2's Monarch's Journey will officially retire on the 2nd of September, once Crusader Kings III is released.
We are very thankful for the community, and players, who enjoyed our challenges!

I really don't understand the need to remove the challenges. They only add something to the game (and give people an incentive to still buy CK2's DLC). Can you share PDX's logic on this?

If anything let it stay for those of us who's pre-ordered CKIII, if that's your concern....

I really hope that's not their thinking, it would be so backwards.

Obviously one can manually start a game as those characters and fulfull the requirements, but it's hard to self monitor, as you need to keep a constant eye on everything to do so (which is exhausting and not fun).

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
Would have liked to complete the challenges at my own pace even if it didn't generate any rewards. It was actually fun. The decision to remove them entirely and not just the rewards was a lost opportunity.

Paradox finally said goodbye to CK2, it would seem.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Hey everyone,

You can still read the Rulers' stories in our thread about the Monarch's Journeys
We are also running regular mini-activities Stories of the World called "Did You Know?", "Where Are We?" and "Guess The Character" if you want to follow along :)

Okay, no joke. Bring it back.
What is the logic behind taking Monarch's Journey away from us now? Just taking something the community loved out of CK2 to encourage us to buy the sequel?
This deserves a better explanation at least.
We were asking if Monarch's Journey would remain available when CK3 was released since October, and were told yes. Until I hear otherwise, I am just going to take it as a deliberate FU to people who dared to try to play CK2 after CK3 came out. Which is not... you know... not super respectful to your fans.
:rolleyes:

• 4Like
Reactions:
Okay, no joke. Bring it back.
What is the logic behind taking Monarch's Journey away from us now? Just taking something the community loved out of CK2 to encourage us to buy the sequel?
This deserves a better explanation at least.
We were asking if Monarch's Journey would remain available when CK3 was released since October, and were told yes. Until I hear otherwise, I am just going to take it as a deliberate FU to people who dared to try to play CK2 after CK3 came out. Which is not... you know... not super respectful to your fans.
:rolleyes:
Since the very beginning they said that the Monarch's Journey would be available until the release of CK3 IIRC.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh, for <your_religion_deity_name>'s sake Paradox! I've been out of CK2 for a year or two, but this week a friend of mine gifted me the DLC I missed for that time so I thought I'd come back to the game and do these challenges that look really fun, and when I open up the game today... they're gone! Why?! To push "encourage" people to buy the new one? Way to turn me off from the game I was so much looking forward to getting back to. If those DLCs weren't a gift from someone else I'd be refunding them right about now, cause I really don't feel like playing it anymore.

I've always been a big fan of Paradox games ever since I found out about them and bought every single one on preorder, always the biggest packs, no questions asked... EU4, Stellaris, HoI4... until CK3 showed up. And I was pretty damn hyped about it until the Dev Diaries and articles started coming out and I started questioning some of the development choices, and for the first time, I decided to wait and see before buying it. And what I'm seeing now is making me question not only the development choices but the choices of your company as a whole.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Seriously - I just returned to CK2. I never intended to play CK3 anytime soon, but I really enjoyed the challenges from the Monarchs Journey. I didn't care for the vanity rewards.

This just made me rage-quit my game and load of profanity came out of my mouth.

Also - I never read the announcements. I just saw this cool new feature with challenges that really seemed interesting. The carpet was pulled out from under my feet, and I had no idea it would happen. I don't understand the reasoning behind it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
So dose this mean we lost out on the cosmetic items? I was holding off on playing ck2 due to them saying it was going to be around say no rush. Now a big f u from pardox.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'll buy ck3 once I finished monarch challenges to get those things.
Might take some time as I play slowly. Even more if they are really removed...
I don't get it why anyone on earth can think that temporary things are a good thing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will the rewards be available indefinitely (like whenever one buys CK3 they'll be awarded to them) or is there a time limit to them? I mean the challenges were fun and all but I mostly did them for the rewards so I'd hate to lose them because I didn't buy CK3 right away.

As mentioned somewhere else

Tried this off another tip. It works, thankfully patch 3.3.3 isn't that important, outside of some security issue (with mods, I think?). Still, it's a bit of a pain to direct people towards, and doesn't help new players.

And obviously doesn't include the previous featured rulers, which isn't the end of the world, but ... you've got nothing to lose here, Paradox.

Last edited:
I don't get it why anyone on earth can think that temporary things are a good thing.
d9823d08fd0b469a8c78f25267c27a1c.jpg

Reactions:
Yep this whole life thing is a temporary one, but not too found on that thing neither (as many others as they are looking for a way to make it less temporary)
But philosophy a part what IS the point of getting rid of the challenges?

Reactions:
They got rid of the challenges so that down the line they can sell those cosmetics as DLCs to people who didn't get them in time, obviously. Same as they do with preorder bonuses.

I've always defended Paradox's DLC policy because they keep their games alive for a long time while always injecting new and fresh stuff in the game, as any CK2 player can attest to. But even then, I've always thought selling the cosmetics DLCs separated from the expansion was greedy, and this particular instance is a whole new level of greediness.

EDIT: I've seen the post linked below and I stand corrected, maybe I was a bit too bitter about the challenges being removed. I still think there's absolutely no reason to remove them, though, even if the rewards were disabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: