• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HottestRod

Associate Product Marketing Manager
May 14, 2018
RTT_MJ_Asset.jpg

Crusader Kings II now features the Monarch’s Journey! The Monarch’s Journey is a new way of exploring the world of Crusader Kings and will help you earn cosmetic add-ons for Crusader Kings III through Ruler Challenges.

The Ruler Challenges present you with a new realm with a specific objective to achieve. Whether you are a newcomer or a veteran The Monarch’s Journey is your chance to (re)learn parts of the game, try new worlds and new ways of play in our infinite medieval sandbox!

Just login with your Paradox Account in the launcher and enjoy the base game of this cult grand strategy game and its new challenges NOW: https://pdxint.at/2Bf6EM0

If you have any questions please drop them in comments below. WARNING: it might take us some time to reply as we are still working hard at the PDXCON!

- Monarch's Journey is available to all non-Linux players. This is a feature which will bi-weekly present new characters to play with a scenario of challenges to earn cosmetic rewards for the upcoming Crusader Kings III game.
So, bi weekly. Which day will will the featured ruler be updated? And will we be able to return to old scenarios that we might have missed?

Will the cosmetics be included in a DLC pack or something for sale after launch? or is this the only way to get them ever?
It's a cool idea, alittle bit bringing the stress of exclusive timed content from MMO and phone games into CK2 though, right at exams season too...
Thanks!

So, you open ck2, there's a featured character at a specific bookmark you can play. Right now it's Konan of Brittany in 1066. There are some challenges to complete with that character/dynasty (Ironman not required, steam connection is). When completed, those challenges give points which tally up to unlock cosmetics for your account if/when you play ckIII at whatever time it comes out.

So, at time of posting, Konan of Brittany's challenges are to have 2 sons. He has to do this himself, not the rest of the dynasty, this gives 2 points. If you have a third son, you get 2 more, and you have five sons, you get another 2 points. There is a challenge for any member of the dynasty to kill members of William de Normandie's/William the Conqueror's dynasty. Again, three levels of rewards for killing more members of the dynasty. 2 points per stage, again. (I forget how many exactly you need to kill.) And there is a challenge to amass land in Brittany, Anjou, Normandy, England and Wales. More land, more points. Three stages again. The second two challenges don't require you to be Konan to complete them, you just have to start as him and continue as his dynasty.

If all challenges are fully completed, that's 18 points you can earn. The first unlock requires 10 points. A wizard beard. It's honestly all fairly apparent in game, but hope that helps.

Reactions:
I'd like to know that too. I won't have much time to play in the next weeks/months because of studies and it sucks if I can't obtain these items in CKIII because of that.

Ten weeks left this year and lets say CKIII were to release midway through 2020. That's 36 weeks for the Monarch's Journey to run, so 18 opportunities to earn up-to 18 points per two-week Journey. That's 324 points available and 110 required to unlock all the available cosmetics. You'd need just over 6 points per Journey in that time to reach the 110.

Pros and cons to having to make semi-regular returns to the game over a long period, but it does feel we'll get a fair crack at unlocking everything. We won't necessarily have to be completionists every journey.

EDIT: Looks like past challenges remain playable

Does this work with the 64 bit Beta? I see nothing.

Edit: Ok, this doesnt work with the Beta :)

You have to manually opt out of the beta to get the latest version of the game that includes the Monarch's Journey. It seems that mods can interfere with seeing the Monarch's Journey too, with the Bigger Interface mod especially not compatible with it. Introduction of Monarch's Journey came with a small patch.

If iron man is not required can't we just earn them with console cheats( if someone doesn't have the time and is afraid of missing out)?
You can make some manual saves with Bronzeman but the game-rules still have to be Ironman-compatible and there's still no access to the command console.

Last edited:
How exactly will those items be unlocked when ck3 is released?
Is the system checking for the score from same account linked to both ck2 and ck3?

• 1Like
Reactions:
In 64 Beta, the feature doesn't work (yet). As soon as I reverted back to normal version, I got a popup at start and everything is fine and great. Escape button lists the objective and mouseover is always useful.

Great addition to the game. Luv it.

downvote me to heck, but, seriously?? cosmetic awards?? this is what paradox is doing now??

Reactions: