• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not especially different. It's the same mindlessness where all of your neighbors gang up against you no matter how far away from each other they are.

The coalitions in EU are more agressive than the ones in CK2. This is only one difference. They gang up to defend against you.
And actually we don't know the limits on coalitions in CK2. We know to less about them. But for me they only seem to be similiar to them in EU4 but different.

Reactions:
The coalitions in EU are more agressive than the ones in CK2. This is only one difference. They gang up to defend against you.
And actually we don't know the limits on coalitions in CK2. We know to less about them. But for me they only seem to be similiar to them in EU4 but different.
Also defensive wars can't cost you territory in ck2. Coalitions here litterally can't cut you down to size, just make growing that much harder.

Reactions:
Also defensive wars can't cost you territory in ck2. Coalitions here litterally can't cut you down to size, just make growing that much harder.

And this. CK2 work much more with claims. Even if the coalitions help each other in claim wars... it don't destroy you that much.

Reactions:
Well the italians and the turks did gang up on the byzantines.

Really? So because of one cross-religion alliance, we should now have Napoleonic-style coalitions with pagans of all stripes banding together with a hodgepodge of various other monotheists to take down a successful empire?

Reactions:
Really? So because of one cross-religion alliance, we should now have Napoleonic-style coalitions with pagans of all stripes banding together with a hodgepodge of various other monotheists to take down a successful empire?

The Egyptians had an alloiance with the crusaders against the Mongols/Seljuqs. And Castille had allianced with the Taifas against the expanding Leon. There are more of such exemples.

And in the Baltics we also had many coalitions between Pagan and Christian states.

And how do you know something like this will happen that often?

Reactions:
The Egyptians had an alloiance with the crusaders against the Mongols/Seljuqs. And Castille had allianced with the Taifas against the expanding Leon. There are more of such exemples.

And in the Baltics we also had many coalitions between Pagan and Christian states.

And how do you know something like this will happen that often?

The thing is that all of those tended to be fairly local and not involve just about every state bordering the 'coalition target'.

Just about every example I've seen thus far of a "coalition" during the games time frame would be better replicated by Pdox actually allowing meaningful diplomacy between rulers of different religious groups and not have some magic number that suddenly causes realms you boarder with who may not have previously had any contact with one another form a defensive alliance against you.

,,,,ARG! Why I am letting myself get dragged into this argument again?!

Reactions:
Paradox clearly stated the reasons for the patch 2.5 and Conclave features. One major point of the developer is: Avoiding kinda boredom ... especially in the later or real late game.

So all you discussed above must be seen under this intended gameplay-"corrective".

Plus, in my opinion, everything that hinders the player (or the AI for that matter) to expand "unusually" and also to keep (totally ahistorical) super-empires for ages, is a good balancing approach for a Paradox strategy game ... little Hitlers must avoid then this game ;) ... j/k ... but i see it a bit in this way.
For me, playing this game with immersion, is the win. To this immersion belongs for me that the middleage world, which i play, looks not like a WWIII scenario, fe. in the late game, the player is the western alliance (NATO) and the AI the east-block (Warsaw Pact), just as picture (imo. one should play then another game of just the modern world post-WWII). Some historical plausability is the thing to create immersion in me with this game.

I think, CK2's (upcoming) patch and Conclave mechanics can avoid a little bit more that immersion-destroying option of a total ahistorical outcome, i hope so.
There should be a red line for the global balance mechanics, which reflects slightly history, but imo. the more the better, just not to a total predictive outcome, it always needs a random bandwith, that's clear, to avoid knowing exactly how the AI reacts.

If indeed the player owns half the world (because he just knows the game that good to exploit all the AI weaknesses) and the AI ganged up on you (because you are "the evil of the world"), then there should be even an event-trigger or something, that cracks up your (seemingly stable) super-state-system into little split-countries, and afterwards, that AI coalition falls back to a normal status ... lol, would be funny ... and possibly keeps the player busy without end. Job good done by a strategy game developer. What should be always possible but imo. is to develop into the middleage superpowers.

An option but would be also to give the player an according choice, for example a button prior to the start: a) Playing Historically or b) Playing Ahistorically.

I personally really hope, as kinda historial player, that the new mechanics help all in all to keep just at least roughly a plausible middleage world. So that just players like me have that described immersion.
As already described some pages ago, i'm not a history fanatic per se (playing also M&B Warband and Sykrim), but for Paradox titles (and as i'm kinda versed with history), i prefer a historical play.

And it's the reason why i like these games, as they have no parallel on the market in this matter.
For example Total War games are declared by the developer to play What If/Alternative History campaigns, practically from on start of the game - and this is at least reduced with Paradox games - i hope Paradox keeps that course. It imo. is one of their mere unique approaches. I even hope, they build still a bit more emphasis on that item (alternative, or just plus the button described above would be good as well).

Last edited:
Reactions:
I really have to see how the shattered retreat works out, but it is precisely because I start small that big decisive battles and crushing a routed army help me. If I'm some Duke in the HRE and the Emperor decides to revoke a title, after winning one amazing battle, now I have to chase the remaining troops across the HRE while they reload? I'm just not seeing how this favors the small guy.

Reactions:
I kind of wish losing to coalitions would take some land from you, maybe any claims they have against you when the coalition fires or just a few counties scaling with how large your nation is. I just feel like coalitions should be feared not an annoyance.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I kind of wish coalitions would take some land from you, maybe any claims they have against you when the coalition fires or just a few counties scaling with how large your nation is. I just feel like coalitions should be feared not an annoyance.
Baby steps my good man.

I really have to see how the shattered retreat works out, but it is precisely because I start small that big decisive battles and crushing a routed army help me. If I'm some Duke in the HRE and the Emperor decides to revoke a title, after winning one amazing battle, now I have to chase the remaining troops across the HRE while they reload? I'm just not seeing how this favors the small guy.

It's interesting that the shattered retreat "feature" is being added to this game, since it seems like the main focus of Conclave is to make the game more challenging for stronger realms. This "feature" in my opinion just makes it harder to win a war against superior numbers... It just takes away all opportunity to crush your weakened enemy. There should at least be a trait or something that allows a character to engage a shattered retreating army. Im sorry, but a group of victorious high-spirited soldiers wouldnt have too hard a time catching an enemy army who's taken many casualties and who's morale has been shattered; and why would they even let them try to escape? There's no good reason to let an enemy escape... unless you WANT them to just be able to come back stronger next time, and win. But why would any army want that? They wouldnt. They would pursue the shattered army down to the last man and destroy it to ensure victory.

It doesn't make sense, hopefully it can be modded out. I hate having to deny myself achievements though :(

I also see the "small guys" seriously suffering from it, and the Blobs benefiting the most from it.

Reactions:
It's interesting that the shattered retreat "feature" is being added to this game, since it seems like the main focus of Conclave is to make the game more challenging for stronger realms. This "feature" in my opinion just makes it harder to win a war against superior numbers... It just takes away all opportunity to crush your weakened enemy. There should at least be a trait or something that allows a character to engage a shattered retreating army. Im sorry, but a group of victorious high-spirited soldiers wouldnt have too hard a time catching an enemy army who's taken many casualties and who's morale has been shattered; and why would they even let them try to escape? There's no good reason to let an enemy escape... unless you WANT them to just be able to come back stronger next time, and win. But why would any army want that? They wouldnt. They would pursue the shattered army down to the last man and destroy it to ensure victory.

It doesn't make sense, hopefully it can be modded out. I hate having to deny myself achievements though :(

I also see the "small guys" seriously suffering from it, and the Blobs benefiting the most from it.

I believe with the shattered feature, Paradox somehow tries to reflect also, that in reality seldomly armies were actually crushed entirely (as you described), but when their morale was broken and with first routing army parts, mass routes started often - during this phase, cavalry often chased down routers (or rather catched them up to take pow's) - but in reality, the biggest parts of enemy armies defeated just fled the field (practically unharmed) - checkup some kill/injured-numbers from famous battles, their percentages were rather small in most cases (especially in the middleage).

As for gameplay-mechanic in this relation, it would be wishful, if Paradox could implement for example a trait of the army commander, if he is able to keep morale of a shattered army and even refill it, and getting replacement levies from friendly areas, or, what would be histrically right, that a shattered army, if morale is depleted and the commander cannot keep any morale, that this army goes home.

Great would also, if sub-commanders could replace the main commander, if the sub-commander is possibly influental enough (with traits), and thus even the main commander, who might be a "weak" king, leaves the field and gets penalties and possibly even his governed country rebels or is split up into smaller realms.

--

Another thing, to Paradox developers: An item, that could be changed with patch 2.5
(if they still read in this thread)

I would like to desire, that army numbers getting a re-check.

If you would compare them with real numbers of the timeframe, you would find in most cases, that in CK2, the numbers are 50 % or 40 % too high.

Example: William the Bastard (later the Conquerer) had an army of by historians estimated of 7000.
In CK2 with the marked map-start, he fields over 12000 alone with the given stack, without the ones, which stick still in his realms ready to march/join that start-stack.
This is somehow an immersion killer.

Overall, an army of 1000 men was at the time, a real big army (especially in the early middleage).
Battles, with over 5000-10000 men on each side were the very seldom exception, which can be counted on one hand.
Population numbers etc. mattered. In most cases, the rulers had no standing army, but a few house troops.

For CK2, it would be wishful to cut down significantly the number of men, which are "produced" per location (duchy, baronie, town, church/temple).
If the same ratio is kept as it is now, then the balance should be no matter for the gameplay.

... edit ... as a change in this game content-part is not expected by me

anybody who knows the file structures, is there a file that determines the "production numbers of the locations"? Moddable?
... and possibly also for the marked map-starts, given stack numbers?

Last edited:
Reactions:
I believe with the shattered feature, Paradox somehow tries to reflect also, that in reality seldomly armies were actually crushed entirely (as you described), but when their morale was broken and with first routing army parts, mass routes started often - during this phase, cavalry often chased down routers (or rather catched them up to take pow's) - but in reality, the biggest parts of enemy armies defeated just fled the field (practically unharmed) - checkup some kill/injured-numbers from famous battles, their percentages were rather small in most cases (especially in the middleage).

If Paradox wanted to better model the reality of the time period, after the initial engagement, a forced peace would be enforced between the two warring parties, most raised levies only would be available about 4 months of the entire year and conflicts (intra-realm) would be skirmished over a very long time ... shattered retreats are simply a way to give the ai more of a chance in this game.

Reactions:
Right what Zolotaya said above, also especially for Levies available for limited time, this with "states" which had no standing army or quick ready levies, which was the normal case, as already described in former posts.

"Levies reinforce in friendly territory?"

Not only that it is questionable for the gameplay as many have mentioned ... following those armies over the map etc. (while one is not forced to do that - i can also just besiege the according county, and have the risk that the shattered/refilled army just besieges my county, as the AI always does, or re-attacks while i besiege or whatever), unfortunately, for this kind of reinforcement, i'm not aware of a historical reference.

Reinforcement might have been possible in own governed realms with levies (historically), if the according manpower was available.

For units above Levy status, fe. heavy inf and all cavalry, that reinforcement would be thinkable, if the relation was really good in such "friendly" realm, and i mean rather excellent relations between the rulers.

Otherwise those would be mercenaries, which might have been available as reinforcement, but getting Levies in "friendly" areas is imo. pretty ahistorical, and thus a pure gameplay item, therefore eventually an immersion killer for the ones who care for historical plausability.

Paradox here might re-think their approach with reinforcements in "friendly" areas.

What i can imagine as compromise vs. such a possible immersion killer factor, which might be plausible also historically, is a conversation box popping-up (hidden, if AI:AI, of course), like a herald has a message for the shattered army, where the "friendly" ruler offers units for an according gold amount, plus opinion trigger effect. But if the county with the shattered army has no money, then no units, plus a requirement should be the commander has some morale inspiring trait.

While one should care for AI shall having chances in battles and its outcomes, it shouldn't come totally on the costs of plausability and immersion.

Another way to solve the thing in a plausible way would be also a minimum rest unit number must have been still available after the initial battle (and follow ups), that the army overall is still "intact".
Fe. a percentage of 40 to 60 % would be plausible. If this percentage is not kept, the shattered army disappears (or even become rebels in own county or bandits in foreign county, when the commander has no gold and no morale inspire trait).

This valid for AI and human player, depending but on morale traits of the commander(s), fe. a high morale might keep an army with 40-30 percent intact, given also, the army can be supplied.

If shattered stacks reinforce in diverse way, simply as listed in the patch 2.5 note, it could be really also such immersion killer factor, thus i would wish for something just described above.

Also in this relation, the after-battle small rest armies wandering around and trying to besiege a county are a (totally) bad (and implausible) design. Alternatives to this should be feasable.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Death Sounds is cool. Hearing ARRRGH! when you died a natural death in your sleep seemed odd. Or if you were female.

I once had it happen as the 8 year old queen of Denmark... i wasn't even salty because i couldn't stop laughing :D

Reactions:
I need a laptop for lectures and gaming, I don't have many nor room for a desktop.

Besides, my laptop is more powerful than most desktops, it is a beast. My previous desktop could barely run CK2 when it came out while this thing runs GTA V on max settings.

I think most laptops are actually perfectly capable of playing PDX games, my old laptop sure was, but holy shit when i got this laptop i was surprised at what speed 5 is like! 1 month passes in 1.5 seconds, it's insane!

I always scratch my head a bit when i see people complaining about ck2/eu4's performance (other than a slight memory leak issue in late game). i honestly think they may be blaming the game for something more likely to be caused by outdated drivers, hardware with compatibility problems, faulty hardware, other programs hogging up system resources running in the background, et cetera.

EDIT: also a lot of people forget that GPU doesn't matter as much for most PDX games, what is really important is having a powerful CPU

I have never had a problem with CK2 other than France being one huge orgy (Incest and cuckold everywhere, it's disgusting).

so.... you're problem is that France is France? :rolleyes:

Reactions: