• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone, I'm Tegus, one of the programmers working on Crusader
Kings II. Welcome to the fifth dev diary for CK2 and the first one written
by me. In today's dev diary I'm going to talk a bit about the map and why
we've chosen to implement a new one in CK2.

As you all know, in our games the map is an important tool for both
displaying information and setting the mood of the game. In HoI3 we had a
grayish map that we felt was appropriate for a war game. We took this map
and altered it slightly when making Victoria 2, but this time the map was
drawn with vivid colors to portray the progress of the era. The next game to
use the map was Divine Wind because we all felt that EU3 was in need of a
graphical face lift. While this map technology looked good in the
mentioned games, there were certain technological limitations which we
wanted to improve upon or get rid of.

With CK2, we have devoted time to rewrite the graphics code for the map
from scratch. We are back to a pure 3D map similar to the one used in EU3:
Rome. We have visible topology and you will be able to rotate the world
around the way you please. While neither the technology nor the art assets
are in any way final, we do feel that the new map already has great
potential and is a big step in the right direction towards our visual
goals. Hopefully this new tech will also span multiple games, so we
can steadily improve it.

crusader_kings_2_devdiary_5_ss1.jpg

To be fair, if I would describe what we have done with the map so far, it
would just be sentence after sentence of technical mumbo-jumbo, so I'll
spare you the details. Let's instead focus on what visual details that
have been improved and what we want to add before the game is shipped.

We've improved the looks of the water significantly and added refraction
so you can actually see topology under the ocean surface. Aerie has taken
the time to find real-world topology data(although we've exaggerated it
somewhat), it definitely gives a cool feel to the terrain. Borders have
also gotten some love and now use a new system which enables us to make
them much smoother. Much of the previous jaggedness is gone. We've also
begun to implement and test a more detailed lighting model, which we will
continue to improve upon until we release the game. Another cool
feature(which isn't really part of the map) are the units, whose tabards
now show the heraldic flag of the unit leader.

crusader_kings_2_devdiary_5_ss2.jpg

But there are still some things which we're missing. We need trees and
rivers. We need to add province names and realm names, which exist in all
our latest games. I'd like to add more information to borders, so borders
between two realms are colored by the realms' respective colors. There are
of course lots of more things we want to do, but I won't spill the beans
just yet.

crusader_kings_2_devdiary_5_ss3.jpg

All in all, we are very happy with the way the new map is coming along.
Hopefully you will enjoy it as well once you get to play the game!

Fredrik Zetterman, Deluxe programmer, currently working on Crusader Kings
II

Hey King, Doomdark, Tegus, and the rest of the team:
Very nice map! :) I think it looks great!

I like how the CoA's of the Middle East are not generic like in CK1 for the most part (Yes I know this has not been finalized, but this suggests something great on the horizon).

You are starting to make me salivate. Keep up the good work! I will definitely pre-order a physical copy or, dare I say at this time, limited edition.

Suggestion, as the cloths are from the heraldic flag of the unit leader (which is nice). The Shields blue and white are boring.

Why not having the Coat of Arms of their Liege on their shield?

That in a war between France and England. All the french forces having fleures-de-lis and the English ones use the Three Lions.

Suggestion, as the cloths are from the heraldic flag of the unit leader (which is nice). The Shields blue and white are boring.

Why not having the Coat of Arms of their Liege on their shield?

That in a war between France and England. All the french forces having fleures-de-lis and the English ones use the Three Lions.

We will most likely change the shields. I'm not sure we'll use CoAs, but all shields will definitely not be blue/white when the game ships :)

Sute]{h;12056231 said:
Looking nice. What resolution is the province.bmp file? I'd love to be able to get a head start on a map mod and knowing the resolution should make it easier to ensure that it will work once the game hits the streets. :)

Same here! :)

Looking very good!

@Tegus,

I almost knew you won't ship the game with the blue/white. Adding their masters CoA or flags will make recognising them in the field a lot easier.

Sute]{h;12056231 said:
Looking nice. What resolution is the province.bmp file? I'd love to be able to get a head start on a map mod and knowing the resolution should make it easier to ensure that it will work once the game hits the streets. :)

2048 x 2048

What exactly is it that makes the map more practical for the end user, compared to the simple pseudo-2D maps from HoI3, Victoria 2, DW? While you're praising the eyecandy, does it affect the game in any way?

I think that all of the things you mention will change before we release the game, such as cities, borders and terrain texture :)

If we have time and feel that the game needs bookmarks, we will add them, but as of now there is no plan to implement that feature.

How many provinces in the map?

What is the status of province drawing on the map? Is this far advanced now, and if so how has it been researched? Will you be requesting accuracy feedback on the province set-up?

What is the status of province drawing on the map? Is this far advanced now, and if so how has it been researched? Will you be requesting accuracy feedback on the province set-up?

It is pretty much done, don't think we'll change anything now. It's mostly the old provinces from CK1 with a couple more added. The betas will and have commented on the accuracy of the map.

Okay. Like the map. Seems good.

But the units...

i have two suggestions... i saw a lot of knights. You know what is missing?

[video=youtube;SIhBXR7I-c4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIhBXR7I-c4[/video]

And will there banners rather than figure-sprites? Not NATO style counters, but something relatively abstract.

It is pretty much done, don't think we'll change anything now. It's mostly the old provinces from CK1 with a couple more added. The betas will and have commented on the accuracy of the map.

That's kinda disappointing to hear, I gotta be honest. The province set-up in CK1 was pretty problematic, as far as historical accuracy goes. Pretty much the whole life of CK1 we were told it was impossible to fix the map, and a lot of research from various people on the boards went into improving it recently for map mods. Now you seem to be saying "well, we ignored it and you'll be stuck with the same map for the sequel".

That's kinda disappointing to hear, I gotta be honest. The province set-up in CK1 was pretty problematic, as far as historical accuracy goes. Pretty much the whole life of CK1 we were told it was impossible to fix the map, and a lot of research from various people on the boards went into improving it recently for map mods. Now you seem to be saying "well, we ignored it and you'll be stuck with the same map for the sequel".

Changing province borders is trivial, and I expect further corrections will be made once the Alpha phase kicks off.

Hm i'm, not really impressed by the map so far. To be honest i have to say don't like this kind of 3D map. In terms of graphics its imo far behind of other games for example the Total War Series. But i don't want to judge on it before i see some more final screens. ;)

Maybe a possibilty to switch to a 2D map would be nice...