Crusader Kings II - Dev Diary 14 - Plots

Crusader Kings II - Dev Diary 14 - Plots

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Doomdark

Design Director
Super Moderator
1 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Paradox Order
Hello folks!

It's Thursday, and you all know what that means... pea soup, pancakes and warm Punsch! Also, a Crusader Kings II dev diary. Today's topic is Plots. Like in EU:Rome, characters can have a specific ambition in life. It can be innocuous things like getting married, getting rich, or having a nice glass of warm Punsch, but sometimes it can be more sinister, like having your wife fall down the stairs. These nasty ambitions are called Plots, and they are hidden from other characters unless they are in on it (or have been made aware of it.) Those of you who have played Sengoku will recognize the general concept, although it works slightly differently in Crusader Kings II. You pick an available plot, then you can start inviting other characters into it. If the plot is military in nature, like gaining control of a title, the plot gains power from rulers commanding a military force. If it's an intrigue plot, you should rather invite those who are close to the target of the plot. Plot power is just a percentage, and will unlock new events and decisions the further along it is. At 100% plot power, the plot is likely to succeed.

The problem is that Spymasters (the council position) can discover plots, depending on their intrigue skill vs the plotter's intrigue skill. Unless they too are in on it, they will report to their liege, who can then choose to take action. If you are lucky, he might just demand that you cease and desist. However, since he has evidence of your scheming, he is allowed to imprison you without repercussions (normally, other characters will perceive you as a tyrant when you throw people in the dungeon.) Being imprisoned automatically ends the plot, by the way.

CrusaderKing2_DevDiary_111006.png

These are some of the more interesting plots:
  • Change the Succession Law
  • Take a landed title from your Liege
  • Have a character killed

Over the last week we've been balancing the succession law plots, because everyone and their uncle were plotting to institute Elective Monarchy. (In 1453, all kingdoms had ended up with this law.) Of course, it does make perfect sense for vassals to pick this plot, because it gives them a chance of getting elected themselves. However, it wasn't very nice of the Duke of Aquitaine to start a civil war over this right when King Philippe was trying to take Normandy back from William the Conqueror... So, we tweaked the likelihood of others joining in the plot and tightened up the conditions for taking it.

That's all for now!

Doomdark

Design Director
Super Moderator
1 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Paradox Order
So can I choose an ambition for my character by starting a plot, or is an ambition picked randomly, so that I can only choose whether to start a plot or not?
You pick your own ambition, of course.

Doomdark

Design Director
Super Moderator
1 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Paradox Order
So if characters with a total of 35 intrigue all plot to institute Elective Law my law changes and I don't get to fight for good ol' Salic Primo? That doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Unless by "plot succeeding," you mean something else, like the King getting an event saying "Elective or Civil War," with all plotters automatically against the King.

Nick
What sort of measures you've done to make sure that not every kingdom turns into elective?
You can only plot for Elective Monarchy if your liege has a low Crown Authority. That's a law that determines how autonomous vassals are. Also, AI vassals are rather reluctant to join plots against the liege, unless they hate him and love you.

Doomdark

Design Director
Super Moderator
1 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Paradox Order
Huh, Louis I of England? Invited, elected, whatever. Elective Law means the vassals want to pick the next King, because the current King is a newt. The rest is left to the imagination, may be a formal assembly of the Peers of the realm or a cabal of plotters pushing a candidate to the throne.

You have the opportunity to learn what is happening and imprison the vassals who dare create sedition by wanting to elect the next King, which as Doomdark stated ends the plot.
Yep, talk to them, imprison them, or have them killed. Your choice.

Doomdark

Design Director
Super Moderator
1 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Paradox Order
That is SO great ! I'm gonna love it ! :)

But I have a question about it. I played Crusader King the first a lot, and still do it sometimes. A very annoying thing about this game was the whole civil war mecanism : if a king was getting excomunicated (or became crazy, etc), all of his vassals would eventually declare war on him and have claim on his crown... And the next king was the first to occupy all his lands.

Does this ambition system will allow a powerful vassal to have a "Claim on throne" ambition, so he could be joined by other vassals and make a civil war with only two ennemies (following the king or the disloyal vassal), and maybe ask some landed lord to stay neutral ? That would be great too ! :)
Well, yes. The backers of some plots, like the Elective Monarchy one, will be allies in the war if the King refuses to submit. There are also other mechanics to ensure that civil wars consist of whole groups of vassals revolting.

Doomdark

Design Director
Super Moderator
1 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Paradox Order
This isn't how Elective Succession works in-game though. Elective succession is the strongest vassal becoming king, not inviting a foreign king to rule.
Elective Monarchy in CKII means that the vassals vote for a successor from among themselves and the children of the ruler.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
28 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Sengoku
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Paradox Order
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • East India Company
  • Deus Vult
Killing them is so final, and it can upset their family.

Captain Gars

Lead AI Programmer
Super Moderator
4 Badges
Oct 4, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
The system sounds interesting and more thought out than in Sengoku which is a plus
How so? Just curious to know what I do better with CKII than I appraently did with Sengoku ;)

Captain Gars

Lead AI Programmer
Super Moderator
4 Badges
Oct 4, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
Speaking of Plots I do have a simple question if it can be answered:

If there are certain plots we don't like because we feel it just simply unbalances the game (As I have a feeling the Elective Monarch Plot will be a pet peeve for many people, but again you still got 4 months to balance it out anyway) can we just simply disable any plot in the game by "commenting" it out in the .txt file for plots? Or are all Plots "hardcoded" into the game that it won't be possible?

thanks!

MP
Plots and ambitions are scripted so you can comment them out if you like.

Captain Gars

Lead AI Programmer
Super Moderator
4 Badges
Oct 4, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • 500k Club
  • Paradox Order
Is "Paragon of Virtue" position the new diocese bishop now? That makes even less sense than "Lord Spiritual" :blink:.
It's not a job position.

Doomdark

Design Director
Super Moderator
1 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Paradox Order
It was listed as an ambition, wasn't it? Trying to embody the ideals of Christian knighthood or something along those lines?
That's it. It's just one of many harmless ambitions.