• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to the second dev diary for Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne!

I'm Tobias Bodlund, Scripter on the CK2 team. Today we'll discuss two new game features that we are really excited about. One has to do with titles and the other has to do with stories. Oh, and we've also changed something that has to do with murders.

In Crusader Kings 2: Charlemagne, rulers will no longer be restricted to the predefined de jure kingdoms and empires on the map when they wish to take a step up in rank. Any duke that has a large enough realm and enough prestige can now declare himself a king. The new kingdom will initially have no de jure lands, but it will gain them with time (if it survives). In the same way, a powerful king can declare a new empire. The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

ck2_18.png

This new feature should open up new ways for players to shape the world, and you'll see new titles arising according to the unique sequence of events that unfolds in your specific campaign.

Along with this comes new support for modders to dynamically change the coat of arms for any title through events or decisions or via the history files.

Another new feature is something we've wanted to add to Crusader Kings II for a long time. As you play through a long campaign, you are effectively creating the epic story of your dynasty, and we've always felt that it would be nice to create some kind of record of this, something that enables you to look back on your history and that you can also keep as a record after the game. This is why we've now added the Dynasty Chronicle.

ck2_10.png

The Chronicle will register any important events that happen to the characters you play, such as births, marriages, wars, deaths, important decisions etc. It will also mention major world events such as the arrival of the Mongols, the Crusades and the start of the Viking Age. You will be able to review your family chronicle at any time through the in-game interface, and you will also be able to export it to a text file so that you can keep it and share it with your friends. Maybe you'll even want to format it in a fancy font, print it in color and show it off properly.

Finally, for todays dev diary, let's talk about assassinations. There are two major changes being done here - and this part is free content, meaning it will be in the patch for everyone whether you have the Charlemagne DLC or not.

The first change is that the assassination diplomacy action has been removed. Since we introduced plots in Crusader Kings II, we've really had two different and wholly separated systems for assassinations. No longer. The click-to-assassinate mechanic was, to be honest, somewhat obsolete considering how the game has evolved over the past few years. From now you'll have to run a proper plot in order to kill someone, which also makes for much more interesting gameplay.

The second change to assassinations is that we've added a way for you to defend yourself from those who would plot your untimely death. There is now a new decision called "Go Into Hiding", which allows you to remove yourself from the public eye for as long as you desire and thus greatly decrease the chance of any murder plots against you succeeding. The decision is available at any time that there is a known or suspected murder plot against you (you might be wrong of course, but being paranoid doesn't mean that they're not actually out to get you). This new mechanic will have a number of new events associated with it.

You will also be able to send your spouse or any of your children into hiding in the same way - provided they are not rulers themselves, they are in your court, and that there is a credible threat against them.

You may come out of hiding, or take your dependants out of hiding, at any time you wish.

ck2_16.png

Hiding away in the inner rooms of your castle for prolonged periods of time does have its price, however. Your inability to hold court means that you will suffer a reduction to your diplomacy attribute while in hiding, and your vassals with be less loyal due to your absence. You will also be unable to hold feasts and tournaments, travel, lead armies and all those other things that would require you to leave your hiding place and step out into that evil and dangerous outside world.

There are of course also other risks associated with hiding. People living in relative isolation during extended periods have at times been known to... how to put it... suffer certain effects to their personality. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

I'm more concerned about de jure ducal vassals of de jure empires. Being allowed to create a de jure kingdom is one thing, though some of the core kingdoms of certain empires (ERE & HRE) are problematic too; but a custom titular kingdom, as a vassal, IMHO should be something different.
Certainly de jure vassals, those IMHO should need the permission of their liege (de jure & de facto).

I'm totally fine with independent dukes, once powerful enough seek a royal crown. It's only vassalized dukes I'm concerned about.

I agree that the inner workings of both ERE and HRE should be revorked greatly, those two entities should simply not be acting just like another realm. But I dont think we will see that ever in CK2.

I have question about customizable titles.
How the valid elective succession works in titular kingdoms/empires? If they don't have de jure land then who other than the king/emperor is able to vote? Because electors are the current ruler and all de jure vassals in normal elective succession but titular titles don't have de jure vassals.

The Witch-King;18098905[B said:
] The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

There is still confusion if one will be able to rename and customise it.

The offical page says:
Custom Kingdoms and Empires, create a new title from a lower-tier title, can customize flag and name.

Now if that is refering to moddability, then that shouldn't be mentioned as a feature.
So what's the case ? Did i miss info on this issue ?

Could you please make it so that staying in hiding gives you a penalty to your Prestige gain per month? It seems like if children spend their early life in hiding they would be less famous because of it. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to increase that Prestige penalty for rulers (you could even base it on rank.) It seems like it would be more unseemly for a famous monarch with duty in court to spend his life in hiding than some nobody like your bastard son.

I agree that the inner workings of both ERE and HRE should be revorked greatly, those two entities should simply not be acting just like another realm. But I dont think we will see that ever in CK2.
I totally agree with this. Sad to say... but HRE and ERE shouldn't have the same sand-box-y mechanics as every other country in the game; they should feel a little more restricted/defined. I would happily spend $15 for a DLC that added unique mechanics for HRE, ERE, and maybe also Islam Empires (*hint *hint Paradox...)

Last edited:
I think you may have misunderstood something. Modders can totally remove the de-jure Empires already. It's the Kingdoms that are untouchable. Every province have to be part of a Kingdom.

Ah, I thought that also applied to Empires. Good to know, still a bit silly though.

I don't see why people hate on all those empires that aren't the ERE or HRE because if you had a guy from Mali who managed to conquer all of Western Africa and North Africa, if he started calling himself the emperor of Mali, who's going to say otherwise? No one is the ultimate authority on who's an emperor and who's not.

Of course. But as Heatth explained, it's absurd that such an empire is recognized De-Jure from the get-go.
The Roman Republic/Empire took centuries to become more than a bunch of conquered land. The HRE and ERE took less only because they are historically based on their big ancestor(more or less legitimately).
It doesn't make any sense that any new upstart, in Mali or wherever, can declare a new empire and have it instantly recognized even beyond its borders. In a few generations, sure, if you hold on to it. But not immediately.

In Crusader Kings 2: Charlemagne, rulers will no longer be restricted to the predefined de jure kingdoms and empires on the map when they wish to take a step up in rank. Any duke that has a large enough realm and enough prestige can now declare himself a king. The new kingdom will initially have no de jure lands, but it will gain them with time (if it survives). In the same way, a powerful king can declare a new empire. The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

and

There are of course also other risks associated with hiding. People living in relative isolation during extended periods have at times been known to... how to put it... suffer certain effects to their personality. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

yes...this ..I want it..I can haz?

If I, as a tribal title, created a new kingdom using the new title mechanics, would the Kingdom also be tribal?

will you rework default Coat of Arms patterns and colors?

they look so ugly, sorry to say that. Can never play a game without Patrum Scuta or other COA mod...

If any dev is still reading this what will happen to build spy network spymaster mission? At the moment it increases assassination chance, which is being cut.

If any dev is still reading this what will happen to build spy network spymaster mission? At the moment it increases assassination chance, which is being cut.

Possibly a general bonus to plots against people in that province?

There is still confusion if one will be able to rename and customise it.

The offical page says:

Now if that is refering to moddability, then that shouldn't be mentioned as a feature.
So what's the case ? Did i miss info on this issue ?

You have a very goo point and I would also like to know this as well.
NOT being able to customize it, would be crap and even more of a lucklaster feature...

You know that there is a button to start plot against anyone on that person's screen, right ? You might have been missing a very important feature :)

you just blew my mind... I've been playing this game wrong for a long time :D or at least cursing that I couldn't plot against my brother/uncle/niece effectively

yeah with that in place I won't miss the assassination options much

Empire of Israel? With that beautiful, beautiful colour? YES.

On a less happy note: as has been commented, you really need a way for the player to strengthen plots somehow if the 'assassinate' button is removed. While I'll admit I can spam it in my merchant republic games, it's also really vital to prevent adventurer game-overs, or just kill someone that really, really needs to die. Will we be able to plot against our own children now, or do I have to send my firstborn to heathens to 'convert' them?

Plot assassinations in general were always weird to me. Why do they go over 100%? IMO they should cap at 100% with 0 chance of being found out but make this difficult to achieve. From 1-49% lower chance of success but also a higher chance of being discovered and from 50%-99% there should be a lower chance to be discovered but a higher chance of success naturally (this all barring those annoying drunk blabbermouths). The fact that it's easier for me to pull off a plot with 20+ people as opposed to 1-2 with higher plot power always seemed ridiculous. It tempts me to want to kill every single person involved afterwards just to keep them all quiet.