• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to the second dev diary for Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne!

I'm Tobias Bodlund, Scripter on the CK2 team. Today we'll discuss two new game features that we are really excited about. One has to do with titles and the other has to do with stories. Oh, and we've also changed something that has to do with murders.

In Crusader Kings 2: Charlemagne, rulers will no longer be restricted to the predefined de jure kingdoms and empires on the map when they wish to take a step up in rank. Any duke that has a large enough realm and enough prestige can now declare himself a king. The new kingdom will initially have no de jure lands, but it will gain them with time (if it survives). In the same way, a powerful king can declare a new empire. The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

ck2_18.png

This new feature should open up new ways for players to shape the world, and you'll see new titles arising according to the unique sequence of events that unfolds in your specific campaign.

Along with this comes new support for modders to dynamically change the coat of arms for any title through events or decisions or via the history files.

Another new feature is something we've wanted to add to Crusader Kings II for a long time. As you play through a long campaign, you are effectively creating the epic story of your dynasty, and we've always felt that it would be nice to create some kind of record of this, something that enables you to look back on your history and that you can also keep as a record after the game. This is why we've now added the Dynasty Chronicle.

ck2_10.png

The Chronicle will register any important events that happen to the characters you play, such as births, marriages, wars, deaths, important decisions etc. It will also mention major world events such as the arrival of the Mongols, the Crusades and the start of the Viking Age. You will be able to review your family chronicle at any time through the in-game interface, and you will also be able to export it to a text file so that you can keep it and share it with your friends. Maybe you'll even want to format it in a fancy font, print it in color and show it off properly.

Finally, for todays dev diary, let's talk about assassinations. There are two major changes being done here - and this part is free content, meaning it will be in the patch for everyone whether you have the Charlemagne DLC or not.

The first change is that the assassination diplomacy action has been removed. Since we introduced plots in Crusader Kings II, we've really had two different and wholly separated systems for assassinations. No longer. The click-to-assassinate mechanic was, to be honest, somewhat obsolete considering how the game has evolved over the past few years. From now you'll have to run a proper plot in order to kill someone, which also makes for much more interesting gameplay.

The second change to assassinations is that we've added a way for you to defend yourself from those who would plot your untimely death. There is now a new decision called "Go Into Hiding", which allows you to remove yourself from the public eye for as long as you desire and thus greatly decrease the chance of any murder plots against you succeeding. The decision is available at any time that there is a known or suspected murder plot against you (you might be wrong of course, but being paranoid doesn't mean that they're not actually out to get you). This new mechanic will have a number of new events associated with it.

You will also be able to send your spouse or any of your children into hiding in the same way - provided they are not rulers themselves, they are in your court, and that there is a credible threat against them.

You may come out of hiding, or take your dependants out of hiding, at any time you wish.

ck2_16.png

Hiding away in the inner rooms of your castle for prolonged periods of time does have its price, however. Your inability to hold court means that you will suffer a reduction to your diplomacy attribute while in hiding, and your vassals with be less loyal due to your absence. You will also be unable to hold feasts and tournaments, travel, lead armies and all those other things that would require you to leave your hiding place and step out into that evil and dangerous outside world.

There are of course also other risks associated with hiding. People living in relative isolation during extended periods have at times been known to... how to put it... suffer certain effects to their personality. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

Does anybody else have an urge to expand with titular kingdom that has a bitch-ass nice CoA instead of it's de-jure kingdom which might have a lackluster CoA? Kingdom of Merv or Zabulistan comes to mind as candidate :D

Hi, I have just one question - how will this de iure drifting works? If you have one complete duchy, one incomplete (but you hold the title) and one incomplete without the title. What will become part of your de iure kingdom? Thank you in advance for your answer... :)

de-jure drift has always been a century long process where you must control entire de-jure duchy for drift to take place.

Last edited:
It would be rather neat if you could enter your own writing into the Chronicle as well.

It would. Also, it would be lovely if members of your own dynasty who have either become Popes or Grand Masters of the orders would be marked as dynastic. The ordinary droplet of blood would suffice, I think.

de-jure drift has always been a century long process where you must control entire de-jure duchy for drift to take place.

So you kingdom will de iure contains just that one duchy? I know it works that way now and thought that would be it also in this case but I'm just curious...

Are there any restrictions on forming Custom Kingdoms and Empires for Republics or can they do it just as easily as anyone else.

Also can we please have some changes to de jure drift like if the kingdom an area belongs to never existed can it drift faster or something, I just feel like the current 100 years is a little too long

Will there be a reduction in adventurer armies? My current system is to assassinate the guy rather than face a 60k army raised from some alien dimension

Yeah, I'd like to know if there are any changes with this as well. Adventurers are pretty much the only thing I still use the Assassinate button for.

More info on assasination changes is needed. Usually "free feautures" are the ones which makes the game a bit less interesting and more unpleasant to play.

Thank you.

Oooh, about making new kingdoms yourself, I am so uncertain if it is a good idea but it could be so great. I really, really hope you have thought this one through, paradox. Suddenly seeing the Holy Roman Empire almost only consisting of kingdoms would be bad, but on the other hand I will be able to make the kingdom of Sameland...

It would probably be wise to restrict vassals ability to create titles depending on the Crown Authority or Centralization of the realm. So that in a empire with a powerful enough emperor only he can create duchys or kingoms and hand them out. Lets say in an Kingdom with high or absolute CA only the King can create duchys, while in an Empire at little or minimal CA everyone can create duchys or kingdoms, at medium just duchys, at high only the Emperor and Vassal kings can create duchys and at absolute just the emperor.

(hopefully noone has said this yet)

Finally, for todays dev diary, let's talk about assassinations. There are two major changes being done here - and this part is free content, meaning it will be in the patch for everyone whether you have the Charlemagne DLC or not.

You removed something for free? Wow, wow, wow!

The assassination option was still very useful for adventurers outside (or inside) of diplomatic reach, old lowborn women that my son married when he was not under my control, for changing the capital of a holding in a quick way. Sounds terribly annoying and time-intensive to kill off a baron's whole family to inherit the castle and then turn it into the capital. 50g for each of them surely was a price that I am willing to pay. Waiting years for each and every kill ... nothing I am eager to have.

Last edited:
I'm concerned about how the plotting assassinations thing is gonna work too. Not only do they last for an unpredictable amount of time the beans are spilled at random, which really sucks if you specifically wooed only the cruel, deceitful people to become part of the plot. Any changes planned in that regard?

Yeah, instant-killing an adventurer is what has kept the button relevant for me. Random vagabonds gathering infinite armies? Lower title levels I understand, but when adventurers can attack stable empires with loyal vassals by summoning giant doom stacks...well, I have no qualms spending all my money killing the guy instead of fighting such a silly yet destructive war.

The AI can do it too, but is much more restricted in doing it so it should be a rare occurrence when it happens.

Does a duke need to be independent to be able to declare himself a king? Or will it be possible for a large vassal duke too? Personally I wouldn't mind restricting it too independent rulers, but I wouldn't surprised, if there are different views on this matter. If available for vassal dukes, then IMHO ideally this ought to result in interaction with your liege.
Alternatively there might be a possibility to mod this (so enable or disable vassal dukes from creating custom kingdoms).

Yeah, instant-killing an adventurer is what has kept the button relevant for me. Random vagabonds gathering infinite armies? Lower title levels I understand, but when adventurers can attack stable empires with loyal vassals by summoning giant doom stacks...well, I have no qualms spending all my money killing the guy instead of fighting such a silly yet destructive war.
I agree. While I think the revealed features have so far been interesting and all, I would like an answer to this dilemma.

Man, how will you be able to kill someone in a court where noone wants to back up your plot? Personally i used the assasination button only once (several times until the character died xD ) but the plot function is only feasable when the courtiers hate their liege, otherwise you can't really do anything if you want to kill a guy. Hopefully they'll add some more functions that would make the plotting actually work, when you need it to work.

Will it be able to assassinate your own children via the plot system? The only way to get rid of them was the assassination button and I think there should most definitely be an option to off them. Most. Definitely.

Now here's an idea: a decision to launch the assassination event if you have high enough plot power. This would get rid of the "sitting on +300% plot power for 4 years" problem.