• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to the second dev diary for Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne!

I'm Tobias Bodlund, Scripter on the CK2 team. Today we'll discuss two new game features that we are really excited about. One has to do with titles and the other has to do with stories. Oh, and we've also changed something that has to do with murders.

In Crusader Kings 2: Charlemagne, rulers will no longer be restricted to the predefined de jure kingdoms and empires on the map when they wish to take a step up in rank. Any duke that has a large enough realm and enough prestige can now declare himself a king. The new kingdom will initially have no de jure lands, but it will gain them with time (if it survives). In the same way, a powerful king can declare a new empire. The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

ck2_18.png

This new feature should open up new ways for players to shape the world, and you'll see new titles arising according to the unique sequence of events that unfolds in your specific campaign.

Along with this comes new support for modders to dynamically change the coat of arms for any title through events or decisions or via the history files.

Another new feature is something we've wanted to add to Crusader Kings II for a long time. As you play through a long campaign, you are effectively creating the epic story of your dynasty, and we've always felt that it would be nice to create some kind of record of this, something that enables you to look back on your history and that you can also keep as a record after the game. This is why we've now added the Dynasty Chronicle.

ck2_10.png

The Chronicle will register any important events that happen to the characters you play, such as births, marriages, wars, deaths, important decisions etc. It will also mention major world events such as the arrival of the Mongols, the Crusades and the start of the Viking Age. You will be able to review your family chronicle at any time through the in-game interface, and you will also be able to export it to a text file so that you can keep it and share it with your friends. Maybe you'll even want to format it in a fancy font, print it in color and show it off properly.

Finally, for todays dev diary, let's talk about assassinations. There are two major changes being done here - and this part is free content, meaning it will be in the patch for everyone whether you have the Charlemagne DLC or not.

The first change is that the assassination diplomacy action has been removed. Since we introduced plots in Crusader Kings II, we've really had two different and wholly separated systems for assassinations. No longer. The click-to-assassinate mechanic was, to be honest, somewhat obsolete considering how the game has evolved over the past few years. From now you'll have to run a proper plot in order to kill someone, which also makes for much more interesting gameplay.

The second change to assassinations is that we've added a way for you to defend yourself from those who would plot your untimely death. There is now a new decision called "Go Into Hiding", which allows you to remove yourself from the public eye for as long as you desire and thus greatly decrease the chance of any murder plots against you succeeding. The decision is available at any time that there is a known or suspected murder plot against you (you might be wrong of course, but being paranoid doesn't mean that they're not actually out to get you). This new mechanic will have a number of new events associated with it.

You will also be able to send your spouse or any of your children into hiding in the same way - provided they are not rulers themselves, they are in your court, and that there is a credible threat against them.

You may come out of hiding, or take your dependants out of hiding, at any time you wish.

ck2_16.png

Hiding away in the inner rooms of your castle for prolonged periods of time does have its price, however. Your inability to hold court means that you will suffer a reduction to your diplomacy attribute while in hiding, and your vassals with be less loyal due to your absence. You will also be unable to hold feasts and tournaments, travel, lead armies and all those other things that would require you to leave your hiding place and step out into that evil and dangerous outside world.

There are of course also other risks associated with hiding. People living in relative isolation during extended periods have at times been known to... how to put it... suffer certain effects to their personality. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

I guess you need the customization tool in order to change the name of your newly created custom kingdom/empire, which is a great decision as renaming your primary title is the main selling point of the tool.

Brilliant new introductions. I'm intrigued, quite excited, and increasingly hopeful that Charlemagne will be a very worthy DLC.

Will "go into hiding" prevent you from leading armies? I realize this sounds like a dumb question, but I know how things like this are sometimes overlooked.

Oooh, about making new kingdoms yourself, I am so uncertain if it is a good idea but it could be so great. I really, really hope you have thought this one through, paradox. Suddenly seeing the Holy Roman Empire almost only consisting of kingdoms would be bad, but on the other hand I will be able to make the kingdom of Sameland...

On the contrary. This makes it possible for you to play an interesting vassal game and eat up blobs from within. Provided you can become a vassal king without facing the risk the Byzantine emperor or Caliph revokes your duchy title for free. It will certainly open you new dynamics. I for one cannot wait play with Shervin I and become an Zoroastrian ispahbadh of Tabaristan, as Abbasid vassal and see how much chaos I can cause.

These kingdoms will also contribute to breaking of the blobs like Seljuks I assume. As Emperor you can even use this to create smaller realms for religions you wish to preserve without need to necessarily rip up large existing realms. Kingdom of Oman anyone?

And you can also use this to create older historical kingdoms which are no longer on the map or on de-jure borders, like Himyarite Kingdom.

Will "go into hiding" prevent you from leading armies? I realize this sounds like a dumb question, but I know how things like this are sometimes overlooked.

It's right there. "You will also be unable to hold feasts and tournaments, travel, lead armies and all those other things that would require you to leaving your hiding place and step out into that evil and dangerous outside world."

Last edited:
So can only players make the formable kingdoms and empires or will ai attempt to (and theirs will just stick to the prediffined names, ei duchy name or kingdom name

I am one of the person who wish to know more about what you are going to do with plot because admittedly the current plot mechanic (click plot -> seek support -> wait) isn't that interesting (especially the wait)...
So any new mechanic introduce to enhance this? Or balance change (such as shorter waiting time)?
Because I only support removal assassinate button if there is something new to plot (for the plotter not the target)...

The rest of DD is great, though again, just like last DD, most of it is known already...

I haven't watched the videos on Paradox Extra or twitch tv very much, but I guess all castles in Europe now have been changed into motte and bailey style fortresses. If I'm not wrong the stone castles began to exist some time after the expire date of Charlemagne's empire and when the other dukes began to fight between themselves. I guess the first stone castles on Britannia were built some time after 1066, when William began taking control of that island.

Yes, more details on how the new kingdom/empire features work would be great.

I hope (it would be really, really, nice) if you'd take some of the kingdoms out of the predefined empires, at least. Having, for instance, Georgia (and Croatia, and Venice, and Bulgaria) as part of de jure Byzantium is bad in every way: it makes them far too easy to conquer and hold, and it also means that they mess with the internal politics of the Empire when really they're foreigners who neither participate in nor acknowledge the authority over them of that Empire. You could make it so that Georgia, for example, starts as part of no de jure empire, but if a King of Georgia qualifies to declare a custom Georgian Empire, the Kingdom of Georgia immediately becomes a de jure part of that new Georgian Empire. That would represent Georgia's historic independence well.

I've also thought that it would be interesting if duchies/kingdoms drifted more quickly into small kingdoms/empires and more slowly into larger ones. Ideally, culture and religion of the drifting areas would matter as well.

The chronicle sounds awesome :).

The changes to assassination sound like a long-overdue bit of editing.

I am suspicious of this but hopeful.

You will also be unable to hold feasts and tournaments, travel, lead armies and all those other things that would require you to leave your hiding place and step out into that evil and dangerous outside world.

I guess we will have a good method to prevent your liege from assigning your character to lead armies!

Wait, will AI be able to form titular kingdom/empire?

So can only players make the formable kingdoms and empires or will ai attempt to (and theirs will just stick to the prediffined names, ei duchy name or kingdom name

The AI can do it too, but is much more restricted in doing it so it should be a rare occurrence when it happens.

All this seems nice, but I am worried about the diplo-assassination being removed. The plot system is badly done, rarely anyone ever joins despite hating the target, and even if they do the assassination events never actually fire until some idiot reveals the plot in a tavern. And forcing us to use the broken system and taking away the only option left (which rarely worked either, but still) doesn't make for good gameplay.

Plots take YEARS to get anywhere close in this game. I have one that is going on for three decades, and has over 100% power ever since it was started. But the stupid events never fire. Please Paradox, keep the diplo-assassination in the game, don't remove it. :(

But can I now plot to kill my kids? The assassinate button was previously the only way I could dispose of an unwanted heir.

At the very least we should have some sort of "disinherit" mechanic like there is in CK2+ to try and stop poor heirs from taking the throne...or even have the choice to play as another child (so long as they are landed) upon your death. If something isn't done, all I can see is yet more loss of player control over the game events.

The question still remains: are you going to be able to assassinate anyone out of your reach, or not? Before CM, plots were group projects with extended support by many personalities in the target's court, while assassinations were giving a big sack of gold to a man and telling him to stick a dagger in the target's heart. Are we going to be able, for example, to assassinate claimants in outer courts? Or adventurers? Because, as of now, plots there never get beyond 25% or so.

This is a great question. Will we be able to further influence people ala Republic or Papal Elections? IE increase their "plot opinion" of you by paying off the spymaster, esp if he is greedy or amoral?