• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to the second dev diary for Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne!

I'm Tobias Bodlund, Scripter on the CK2 team. Today we'll discuss two new game features that we are really excited about. One has to do with titles and the other has to do with stories. Oh, and we've also changed something that has to do with murders.

In Crusader Kings 2: Charlemagne, rulers will no longer be restricted to the predefined de jure kingdoms and empires on the map when they wish to take a step up in rank. Any duke that has a large enough realm and enough prestige can now declare himself a king. The new kingdom will initially have no de jure lands, but it will gain them with time (if it survives). In the same way, a powerful king can declare a new empire. The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

ck2_18.png

This new feature should open up new ways for players to shape the world, and you'll see new titles arising according to the unique sequence of events that unfolds in your specific campaign.

Along with this comes new support for modders to dynamically change the coat of arms for any title through events or decisions or via the history files.

Another new feature is something we've wanted to add to Crusader Kings II for a long time. As you play through a long campaign, you are effectively creating the epic story of your dynasty, and we've always felt that it would be nice to create some kind of record of this, something that enables you to look back on your history and that you can also keep as a record after the game. This is why we've now added the Dynasty Chronicle.

ck2_10.png

The Chronicle will register any important events that happen to the characters you play, such as births, marriages, wars, deaths, important decisions etc. It will also mention major world events such as the arrival of the Mongols, the Crusades and the start of the Viking Age. You will be able to review your family chronicle at any time through the in-game interface, and you will also be able to export it to a text file so that you can keep it and share it with your friends. Maybe you'll even want to format it in a fancy font, print it in color and show it off properly.

Finally, for todays dev diary, let's talk about assassinations. There are two major changes being done here - and this part is free content, meaning it will be in the patch for everyone whether you have the Charlemagne DLC or not.

The first change is that the assassination diplomacy action has been removed. Since we introduced plots in Crusader Kings II, we've really had two different and wholly separated systems for assassinations. No longer. The click-to-assassinate mechanic was, to be honest, somewhat obsolete considering how the game has evolved over the past few years. From now you'll have to run a proper plot in order to kill someone, which also makes for much more interesting gameplay.

The second change to assassinations is that we've added a way for you to defend yourself from those who would plot your untimely death. There is now a new decision called "Go Into Hiding", which allows you to remove yourself from the public eye for as long as you desire and thus greatly decrease the chance of any murder plots against you succeeding. The decision is available at any time that there is a known or suspected murder plot against you (you might be wrong of course, but being paranoid doesn't mean that they're not actually out to get you). This new mechanic will have a number of new events associated with it.

You will also be able to send your spouse or any of your children into hiding in the same way - provided they are not rulers themselves, they are in your court, and that there is a credible threat against them.

You may come out of hiding, or take your dependants out of hiding, at any time you wish.

ck2_16.png

Hiding away in the inner rooms of your castle for prolonged periods of time does have its price, however. Your inability to hold court means that you will suffer a reduction to your diplomacy attribute while in hiding, and your vassals with be less loyal due to your absence. You will also be unable to hold feasts and tournaments, travel, lead armies and all those other things that would require you to leave your hiding place and step out into that evil and dangerous outside world.

There are of course also other risks associated with hiding. People living in relative isolation during extended periods have at times been known to... how to put it... suffer certain effects to their personality. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

I am concerned about the new titular kingdom titles taking what place in the de jure hierarchy. Say you create the kingdom of Livonia out of the duchy of Livonia, formerly de jure part of Lithuania. Does it mean that the new kingdom, as much titular as it is, is now a de jure vassal of the Wendish Empire (like the kingdom of Lithuania itself)? Because if not, upon duchies de jure drift to the newly created kingdom, we will have blank spaces on the de jure empires map, at least until a new empires will have been created and the kingdom of Livonia will have de jure drifted to it.

The first son is an imbecile, the second is fat, the third is a genius. Guess who gets caught in tragic accidents. :ninja:

Lol this. Yesterday my first 2 sons were horrible. One was clubfooted AND ugly and the other slow. No thank you. Get murdered, son.

I don't even know how that happened anyway, seeing how I was a genius and my wife attractive.

[...]

In Crusader Kings 2: Charlemagne, rulers will no longer be restricted to the predefined de jure kingdoms and empires on the map when they wish to take a step up in rank. Any duke that has a large enough realm and enough prestige can now declare himself a king. The new kingdom will initially have no de jure lands, but it will gain them with time (if it survives). In the same way, a powerful king can declare a new empire. The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

This new feature should open up new ways for players to shape the world, and you'll see new titles arising according to the unique sequence of events that unfolds in your specific campaign.

[more cool stuff...]

I'm sure it has been said already in these 7 pages, but honestly, who cares. Thank you x10000. Finally. Especially for the bolded part: I'll admit, I cried a little when, in the Premiere stream, it was mentioned that the custom title would immediately get your territory de-jure. So glad it has been changed :D

One duchy is enough if you have a large enough realm. But having at least three duchies takes away the realm size requirement.

That makes me think about something: Right now creating de iure kingdoms requires you to already be a king or at least have two duchies. Some de iure kingdoms have the same names (but not CoAs as far as I know) as a duchy under them (Leon, Brittany, Aquitaine, Bohemia, Perm etc.). Thus: 1. In some cases you might be unable to create the de iure kingdom but still able to elevate the duchy to kingdom, as it were. In some other situations, perhaps two kingdoms could exist with the same name, especially when te de iure one gets titularized. Will you be making some tweaks in that regard?*

* Such as enabling the holder of d_Brittany to get the de iure k_Brittany rather than creating a custom k_Brittany and drift away the land from the de iure k_Brittany until it becomes titularized and the king can create it simply because of holding the capital?

Someone like Brittany could end holding two king titles after titularizing the de iure. But, any other duke capable of creating a de iure kingdom also could do the trick, i.e. elevate his primary duchy and only then create the de iure kingdom in order to be a doppelking. Will you be preventing this?

The AI can do it too, but is much more restricted in doing it so it should be a rare occurrence when it happens.

Why restricting the AI in doing it? It'd be a cool thing to see AI superdukes take the upgrade.

Well, apart from dukes who are imperial vassals. I'd rather those would need imperial consent even to form a de iure kingdom.

So does the new "higher title" thing mean that the ahistorical de jure empires are now obsolete and will be removed?

I wish, but I don't think there is hope.

Uh, won't the ability to create new de jure kingdoms/empires be potentially abusable, since it can be used to avoid adventurers, claimants, and claim wars?

If you are willing to put up with more eligible Independence Faction members (since the new title will not have de jure territory), you can just get rid of all the older Kingdom/Empire titles which have claimants.

Uh, won't the ability to create new de jure kingdoms/empires be potentially abusable, since it can be used to avoid adventurers, claimants, and claim wars?

If you are willing to put up with more eligible Independence Faction members (since the new title will not have de jure territory), you can just get rid of all the older Kingdom/Empire titles which have claimants.

I'm pretty sure the decision will only be there to move you up a tier. You won't be able to keep creating as many titular kingdoms as you have duchies.

I am concerned about the new titular kingdom titles taking what place in the de jure hierarchy. Say you create the kingdom of Livonia out of the duchy of Livonia, formerly de jure part of Lithuania. Does it mean that the new kingdom, as much titular as it is, is now a de jure vassal of the Wendish Empire (like the kingdom of Lithuania itself)? Because if not, upon duchies de jure drift to the newly created kingdom, we will have blank spaces on the de jure empires map, at least until a new empires will have been created and the kingdom of Livonia will have de jure drifted to it.

A titular kingdom does not belong to any de jure on the empire level. To see how this works, look at Khazaria in the 867 start. And yes, blank de jure empire spots are created until an empire drifts the kingdom in question. Which imo is not a bad thing.

Though as has been stated in other posts prior to these, the chances can be very low.

More interestingly, why are there dev posts answering questions about the de jure stuff, but not one answering questions about the new assassination mechanic?

Because there isn't anything else to tell. It's very simple. Assassinations are available only through plots, which is exactly how it should be. What is so hard to understand about that?

And yes, blank de jure empire spots are created until an empire drifts the kingdom in question. Which imo is not a bad thing.

You mean when a kingdom drifts out of an existing empire after defending its independence for 100 years?

The question still remains: are you going to be able to assassinate anyone out of your reach, or not? Before CM, plots were group projects with extended support by many personalities in the target's court, while assassinations were giving a big sack of gold to a man and telling him to stick a dagger in the target's heart. Are we going to be able, for example, to assassinate claimants in outer courts? Or adventurers? Because, as of now, plots there never get beyond 25% or so.

I'm going to assume the devs aren't utterly stupid, and are going to do something regarding plots such that murdering someone in a distant land is no longer almost impossible like it is now.

They might also make some other minor changes, like if an adventurer is to far away for you to interact with they can't begin building an army to seize your realm, to solve those same issues without it being directly tied to plots.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but I can't think anyone who doesn't hate the game wants to see me proven wrong.

I still hope that assassination plots will be made more reliable as a result of the removal of the assassination button. I hardly used the assassination button before, but i didn't waste time with the plot function either. Having overwhelming % of power in a plot against the most hated man in the court drag on for years and then end up getting discovered was simply not worth the effort either.

I used it when I 'had' to, such as killing my children.

Also occasionally abused the hell out of it when I had a ruler with 20+ intrigue, and a spymaster with the same.

The Witch-King just wondering does the completely customizable kingdoms mean the Muslim rulers will get to name there kingdom or will they be forced to use there last name like it is currently

At first glance the Chronicle looks rather barebones, though it has potential. The custom kingdoms and the new assassination mechanic aren't enough to really get hyped up for CM. This was a pretty weak Dev Diary from my point of view.

It's pretty disappointing that I'm only waiting for CM because the patch will fix all of RoI's remaining bugs (or so I hope).

So am I the only one contemplating printing off the chronicle of a particularly good campaign and putting it in a nice binder with a fancy cover? Yes? Okay I'll go back to lurking now.

I like the way you think, but you have to go further than that. Go to a self publishing website and get the chronicle turned into an actual book. Produce a few hundred copies and then sneak into libraries and book stores throughout your area and plant copies on the shelves. With luck you can trick some people into thinking it's actual history :p

The AI can do it too, but is much more restricted in doing it so it should be a rare occurrence when it happens.

This create kingdoms and empires thing is great, really great, suggestion: it could be possible to create kingdoms related to cultures, for instance: you are the duke of Gasgoigne, and you are basque, your domain isn't big, but there's no kingdom of Navarra yet, so, this duke could create a basque kingdom, off course it should upset the frankish king. How about it?

It all looks awesome.

Anychance straight out murder will ever make it into the game?
Not clever plots or schemes, just walk up to the guy and get stabby, everyone knows you've done it and all sorts of plots, bad events and CBs become available to take you down?

Also, any chance for an edit/remove button in the chronicle so you can delete entries you don't want part of your legacy?

And finally, as Anglo-Saxons are becoming more important as the time rolls back, EU:Rome allowed for additional rules for naming, there roman girls could be numbered and indeed, CK2 has added in this religion only names. Would it be at all possible for Saxons to have alliterational names?
Only going for a name with a different first letter once all those of the same had been taken?

I like the way you think, but you have to go further than that. Go to a self publishing website and get the chronicle turned into an actual book. Produce a few hundred copies and then sneak into libraries and book stores throughout your area and plant copies on the shelves. With luck you can trick some people into thinking it's actual history :p

Especially if you use tag switches so that the same history is told from many perspectives. People appreciate it when their sources are confirmed by other books.