• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to the second dev diary for Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne!

I'm Tobias Bodlund, Scripter on the CK2 team. Today we'll discuss two new game features that we are really excited about. One has to do with titles and the other has to do with stories. Oh, and we've also changed something that has to do with murders.

In Crusader Kings 2: Charlemagne, rulers will no longer be restricted to the predefined de jure kingdoms and empires on the map when they wish to take a step up in rank. Any duke that has a large enough realm and enough prestige can now declare himself a king. The new kingdom will initially have no de jure lands, but it will gain them with time (if it survives). In the same way, a powerful king can declare a new empire. The new title will inherit its name and coat of arms from the primary duchy or kingdom title that the ruler had before.

ck2_18.png

This new feature should open up new ways for players to shape the world, and you'll see new titles arising according to the unique sequence of events that unfolds in your specific campaign.

Along with this comes new support for modders to dynamically change the coat of arms for any title through events or decisions or via the history files.

Another new feature is something we've wanted to add to Crusader Kings II for a long time. As you play through a long campaign, you are effectively creating the epic story of your dynasty, and we've always felt that it would be nice to create some kind of record of this, something that enables you to look back on your history and that you can also keep as a record after the game. This is why we've now added the Dynasty Chronicle.

ck2_10.png

The Chronicle will register any important events that happen to the characters you play, such as births, marriages, wars, deaths, important decisions etc. It will also mention major world events such as the arrival of the Mongols, the Crusades and the start of the Viking Age. You will be able to review your family chronicle at any time through the in-game interface, and you will also be able to export it to a text file so that you can keep it and share it with your friends. Maybe you'll even want to format it in a fancy font, print it in color and show it off properly.

Finally, for todays dev diary, let's talk about assassinations. There are two major changes being done here - and this part is free content, meaning it will be in the patch for everyone whether you have the Charlemagne DLC or not.

The first change is that the assassination diplomacy action has been removed. Since we introduced plots in Crusader Kings II, we've really had two different and wholly separated systems for assassinations. No longer. The click-to-assassinate mechanic was, to be honest, somewhat obsolete considering how the game has evolved over the past few years. From now you'll have to run a proper plot in order to kill someone, which also makes for much more interesting gameplay.

The second change to assassinations is that we've added a way for you to defend yourself from those who would plot your untimely death. There is now a new decision called "Go Into Hiding", which allows you to remove yourself from the public eye for as long as you desire and thus greatly decrease the chance of any murder plots against you succeeding. The decision is available at any time that there is a known or suspected murder plot against you (you might be wrong of course, but being paranoid doesn't mean that they're not actually out to get you). This new mechanic will have a number of new events associated with it.

You will also be able to send your spouse or any of your children into hiding in the same way - provided they are not rulers themselves, they are in your court, and that there is a credible threat against them.

You may come out of hiding, or take your dependants out of hiding, at any time you wish.

ck2_16.png

Hiding away in the inner rooms of your castle for prolonged periods of time does have its price, however. Your inability to hold court means that you will suffer a reduction to your diplomacy attribute while in hiding, and your vassals with be less loyal due to your absence. You will also be unable to hold feasts and tournaments, travel, lead armies and all those other things that would require you to leave your hiding place and step out into that evil and dangerous outside world.

There are of course also other risks associated with hiding. People living in relative isolation during extended periods have at times been known to... how to put it... suffer certain effects to their personality. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

Will we get any new assassination events? Perhaps a seasonal (and regional) "locked out during a snowstorm", or a "pushed overboard" for rulers with at least one coastal province?

How does the "Become King of X" ambition work with the new titular kingdoms? Do the titular kingdoms auto-destruct upon getting a real kingdom, or will you have to change the succession law (assuming you have Gavelkind) and destroy it manually? Can you create multiple titular kingdoms in this way? How does Gavelkind handle the titular kingdoms? What happens de jure drift-wise if the Kingdom of Livonia in the screenshot should be destroyed after 90 years and someone else recreates it 20 years later with a different set of duchies?

I don't always use the assassination button, but I feel it is integral to playing Crusader Kings 2.

Yes, plotting is good when gold is low and if there is a high plot power. But it is not very reliable most of the time.

I mean medieval kings would surely have assassins they could pay to get a job done discreetly. It would seem odd to not have this option, not to mention making life extremely difficult when adventurers with gigantic armies appear. Plotting to kill someone with a large group of people isn't always the best choice.

Unless there is some major revamp for the plotting, I do hope the assassination option stays as a measure of last resort to protect the dynasty. Crusader Kings 2 just won't be the same or as fun without it.

Just add Frisian and Crimean Goths and I have no petty complaints :)

Nice DD :) but to echo WeissRaben, will plots be made viable without legions of supporters? This has been my main worry about the expansion from the very start; we will only be able to assassinate children, those with low diplo, and will not be able to rid ourselves of adventurers at all.

(The adventurer-assassinations would be less of a problem if you finally fixed the damn adventurer levies, btw :p).

I don't always use the assassination button, but I feel it is integral to playing Crusader Kings 2.

Yes, plotting is good when gold is low and if there is a high plot power. But it is not very reliable most of the time.

I mean medieval kings would surely have assassins they could pay to get a job done discreetly. It would seem odd to not have this option, not to mention making life extremely difficult when adventurers with gigantic armies appear. Plotting to kill someone with a large group of people isn't always the best choice.

Unless there is some major revamp for the plotting, I do hope the assassination option stays as a measure of last resort to protect the dynasty. Crusader Kings 2 just won't be the same or as fun without it.
King: Greetings, courtier friends of my nephew who is planning to attack me. Could you perhaps join my plot to kill him? I will reward you greatly.
Courtier: Sod off.

I hope that the spymaster will be able to coerce / convince / blackmail people into joining your plots.

Also, it's kinda stupid that to make a plot succeed you need 239823 people in it. One or two or max three persons should be sufficient: individuals should have MORE plot power (including the plot starter), but it should be harder to get people into joining plots.

I would say what I was expecting when I saw the first stream, a 2-3 years interval event (depend on plot power) that has several options depend on your wealth and intrigue...
The higher your intrigue the more likely cheaper option succeed while the more expensive option is there for the wealthier nobles...
Kinda like a middle ground between assassinate (you can' spam it) and current mechanic of plot (you don't need to wait for the plotter to initiate the assassination event for you)...

I hope that the spymaster will be able to coerce / convince / blackmail people into joining your plots.

Also, it's kinda stupid that to make a plot succeed you need 239823 people in it. One or two or max three persons should be sufficient: individuals should have MORE plot power (including the plot starter), but it should be harder to get people into joining plots.
Why do we even have to invite random courtiers of the target to the plot? What use are they going to be, if we're just going to poison the person's wine?

Sorry for me continuosly spamming this thread with questions, but I'm very worried about the removal of the assassination button.

Nobody's going to be thrilled about losing the diplo-assassinate option, when some random guy is magically raising an adventurer army of 40,000 men to take all your lands.

Would it be possible to scale the quantity of the army by taking the cash, prestige and strength of the claim of the adventurer into account? This would seem like the most practical solution, albeit the most realistic.

I'm a little bit disappointed that we can't manually adjust ducal/kingdom/empire CoAs like we can dynasty flags. Here's hoping Paradox can slip that in further down the line.

So am I the only one contemplating printing off the chronicle of a particularly good campaign and putting it in a nice binder with a fancy cover? Yes? Okay I'll go back to lurking now.

I like this.

However, will it possible to assassinate someone in your realm who is planning an invasion against you without getting the 'you broke the feudal contract' nonsense ?

Plots take WAY too long to give any results. Sometimes they work immediately after you have enough power, but most of the time my simple plots to kill my rebellious vassals or neighbouring kings take DECADES. The chance for event to fire seems random, which is blatantly stupid.

And the events fire only when you have plot power. I never have more than 75% plot power, because for some reason no one wants to join, even if they are amoral and hate the victimr. And even if they do, the plot simply takes too long, and then becomes exposed by some stupid conspirator drunk in the tavern. Not to mention you cannot plot against everyone, while you could diplo-assassinate anyone you wanted.

This is especially the case when you border someone not of your religion and you want to assassinate him. As the Roman Emperor I would like to assassinate Alp Arslan and break up his empire before he takes Anatolia from me, but no one in his court likes my character enough to ever join a plot against him. Or as Guy de Lusignan I would assassinate Saladin to prevent myself from being kicked into oblivion, but there is no way that plot is ever gonna succeed since no one from his court joins.

Forcing us to use a system which doesn't work is very, very bad. Instead of waiting for 20 years to get more conspirators and an opportunity to kill the victim, I prefer to spend this huge pile of coins I am sitting on to hire some hitman and get the job done sooner.

They should not take away the diplo-assassination. Or at least allow us to FORCE those stupid assassination events to fire, success chance depending on plot power.

Cool features! How will the already present de jure map look in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe though? Considering that the Kingdom of Sweden was simply not a thing in the 7th century, I think that all previously non-existing de jure kingdoms should be absent in these areas. There could be some events such as that a Svitjod or Eastgeatish Kingdom turns into Sweden, but without providing claims to territory the nobles don't have any connection to.

wonderful update.

Time to create the kingdom of austria!

also glad to see its tied to realm size and not number of titles, as the AI will never be able to form kingdoms and empires otherwise!

It'll be nice to read about my families history in the dynasty chronicles

I am sure those who abuse the assassination button for adventuerers will surely miss it, but I never use it and only use plots. The new feature for going into hiding is also a necessary add!

Awesome!

In one of my games I was Count of Zadar who worked his way to King of Croatia. Then I realized if I want to form an empire I have only two options: form the Carpathian Empire where Croatia is not de jure part of, or usurp Byzantine and suddenly gets lots of unwanted mechanics... I'd be more than glad to have the third option here -- form a Croatian Empire.

I will also add that diplomacy and your traits (making you likeable) count more, in plots, than your actual Intrigue score. A high diplomacy ruler with "likeable" traits is more likely to murder people than someone with really high intrigue. Which is stupid and makes for bad gameplay, imho.

wonderful update.

Time to create the kingdom of austria!
also glad to see its tied to realm size and not number of titles, as the AI will never be able to form kingdoms and empires otherwise!

It'll be nice to read about my families history in the dynasty chronicles

I hope that if you have a de jure liege, you will need to earn their approval as well rather than just declaring it to be. Don't want it to be too easy. Also, it seems like you won't be able to customize the actual title (e.g. Tsar, Grand-Prince), which would have been very cool.

Re: the chronicles, I hope they add (or someone can mod) the ability to write items into the chronicle yourself.