• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gothwarriorgeek

Recruit
61 Badges
Oct 27, 2012
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • King Arthur II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Magicka
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • War of the Roses
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Surviving Mars
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
Hello,
I did not see an option to register the older and original Crusader Kings I. CK II works fine. Part I, however, is giving me constant crashes every time I try to load a map. The screen goes black and then doesn't go any further and I'm getting an error message. Please help! I want to try part I out for a spin and can't!

Older games do not need registration to access their forums. I'll move you there.

Try these things

- Rename your AVI-folder (in the main crusader kings folder) to something else (like AVIback f.e.)

- Go into the settings.txt file and make sure the resolution there matches what your video card/monitor can support. When in doubt set it to 1024 X 768 refresh 60.

- Set colourdepth to 16 bit

My useless 2cents...

Did you read the stickies here in the techforum ? Do you have CK only or along with DV ? Did you install DV in the CK folder ? What kind of error message do you get ?
Do you have the last (15th oct2008) 2.1beta patch ? Change the settings in settings.txt in the Ck folder according to the desktop resolution. That might help.
Try to avoid installing games in C:/program files. Better another partition or some selfmade games folder.

Did you get rid of the problem before reading my blabla stuff? Great, then ignore this post. :)

Nonetheless, you could still post your solution to your problem if you're in happy land already to help future readers of this post, if you like.

Veldmaarschalk,
You are awesome. Thanks!!! My particular copy of the game was purchased through Stream so I had to search through a few folders to know where to find the AVI folder and the setting document for changing the resolution. For anyone else who happens to encounter a similar problem, game crashes, here are the steps you need to follow:
1. Open "Computer" from your Start Menu.
2. Open the drive where you have your Steam program saved to. Mine is (C:).
3. Open the folder labeled "Program Files"
4. Open the folder labeled "Steam"
5. Open the folder labeled "steamapps"
6. Open the folder labeled "common"
7. Open the folder labeled "crusader kings"
8. The AVI folder should be the first one there. Click on the folder and rename it to whatever you'd like...just like Veldmaarschalk said.
9. To fix resolution open the "settings" document and change the resolution to whatever your monitor supports best.