• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks, and welcome to the first entry in the development diary for Crusader Kings II!

I am Henrik Fåhraeus, project lead on this sequel to the original Crusader Kings (on which I worked as co-designer.) Crusader Kings was a game quite different from our other franchises, in that the focus was on the powerful people of the era rather than on countries. You played a ruler, got married, had kids and watched them grow up to stab you in the back. As such, Crusader Kings was a bit of a role-playing game, while still retaining the strategy game elements of our other titles. Personally, I loved the combination, and, judging by the clamor for a sequel, it appears many others did as well. We are still proud of Crusader Kings, but time waits for no man, and the game is getting on in years...

As it happens, Crusader Kings II is coming along nicely, and, starting with this one, you should be seeing monthly CKII development diaries coming your way (on the first Thursday of the month). With Crusader Kings II, we are not trying to reinvent the wheel. Rather, we want to build on the strengths of the original game and fully realize its potential. That is not to say that Crusader Kings II will be the same game with new graphics, but it should feel instantly familiar to CK players.

What makes CK unique among our games is its character system and its RPG-like elements. The role of the player is clear since there is a ruler, a character, to identify with. The player is the king, and it's good to be the king! In Crusader Kings II, we aim to really hone in on the importance of characters - their personalities, interests and interactions - and to tone down the relevance of "countries". The sum total of the Prestige your successive rulers have gathered throughout the game determines your final score; not the size of your realm at game end. Of course, a major source of Prestige is the power of your family, your Dynasty. In fact, die without an heir from your dynasty and it's time to INSERT COIN.

The core gameplay, then, revolves around increasing the power of your dynasty and ensuring that you always have a legal heir with strong enough support. The death of your current ruler is the moment of truth: who will support the legal heir? Have you even managed to ensure one? Will anyone contest the succession? Unlike Crusader Kings, where your vassals would declare war on you simply because they disliked you (regardless, even, of their chance of success), in Crusader Kings II they are much more likely to bide their time and cause trouble during a succession crisis. The key is to choose the best Succession Law... For example, Gavelkind is almost guaranteed to be safe from succession crises. On the other hand, Gavelkind will divide your titles equally among your sons, splintering the realm and potentially decreasing your power.

I mentioned toning down the concept of countries. Here are some highlights: there is no Infamy/Badboy. Neither do characters have "loyalty", and neither is there a persistent relations value between countries. CKII is all about the characters, their opinions of each other, and their clash of interests. Therefore, we have merged the aforementioned concepts into a single opinion value between -100 and 100. I.e. what one character feels about another character... and why. The value is a sum of modifiers, like "Friend of Father's: +5", "Granted a Duchy: +30", "Betrayed Alliance: -20", etc.

Of course, characters will have traits, genetics and neat portraits like in Crusader Kings and EU:Rome. If you want to breed a dynasty of redheaded Harkonnen look-alikes, go ahead (with my blessing). Oh, and characters will age visibly; I shall leave you with a screenshot demonstrating the effect!

attachment.php

Next month: Barons - why Vladimir hated Leto

Attachments

• Diary001_01.jpg
    Diary001_01.jpg
    146,8 KB · Views: 39.105
Last edited:
Interesting, but usually there wasn't an option to choose from. In most cases titles had a certain tradition to deal with inheritance; salic primogeniture, semi-salic primogeniture, proximity of the blood etc. However especially when they had to search the family tree for the next heir, things could become more complicated. For instance the way how Phillip of Rouvres, duke of Burgundy, was succeeded by king John II of France (however Burgundy did not became a part of the Royal Domain) according to proximity of the blood; and not Charles II of Navarra, who would have inherited under primogeniture.
So these inheritance issues could be used to claim a title and/or start a war of succession.

Ofcourse, the further you would have to "seek" to get to the heir, the more people would see a possibility to claim the title too. I imagine it as follows:

If there is a clear heir (the oldest son, not a bastard) and there is a firm tradition (at least a couple of former successions) for primogeniture, then there would be close to 0% chance of other claimants emerging. If however for instance the oldest son is a bastard, there is a bigger chance (40%, modified with traits) the bastard son could claim inheritance.

If the ruler just switched from gavelkind to primogeniture, the younger brothers would have big chance of claims emerging, thus reflecting the changed inheritance law.

Now if there are no sons, or perhaps even no brothers, and the inheritance would go to a further removed cousin, there is a correspondingly big chance other cousins equally far removed of claiming too. And a lesser chance for some further removed cousins. All modified by traits ofcourse. A modest cousin wouldn't be likely to make grandiose claims and such.

Neat!

Will there also be kids portraits then? If you age?

Will 'coming of age' remain at 16? This is very high for women, who are as a rule married off at or soon after puberty. I've always wondered if the 16 age from CK1 was rather cute innocence or an attempt to avoid controversy ....

Will 'coming of age' remain at 16? This is very high for women, who are as a rule married off at or soon after puberty. I've always wondered if the 16 age from CK1 was rather cute innocence or an attempt to avoid controversy ....

It's to avoid controversy. Even though it may be historically correct to marry children, in many modern societies it's viewed as taboo, and I think Paradox is trying to not create a game with a taboo element in it. ;)

It's to avoid controversy. Even though it may be historically correct to marry children, in many modern societies it's viewed as taboo, and I think Paradox is trying to not create a game with a taboo element in it. ;)

You are certain?

Incidentally, they usually didn't marry children then either ... a post-pubescent female (or male) is by definition not a child, though might be a minor according to the custom or law. ;)

Ofcourse, the further you would have to "seek" to get to the heir, the more people would see a possibility to claim the title too. I imagine it as follows:

If there is a clear heir (the oldest son, not a bastard) and there is a firm tradition (at least a couple of former successions) for primogeniture, then there would be close to 0% chance of other claimants emerging. If however for instance the oldest son is a bastard, there is a bigger chance (40%, modified with traits) the bastard son could claim inheritance.

If the ruler just switched from gavelkind to primogeniture, the younger brothers would have big chance of claims emerging, thus reflecting the changed inheritance law.

Now if there are no sons, or perhaps even no brothers, and the inheritance would go to a further removed cousin, there is a correspondingly big chance other cousins equally far removed of claiming too. And a lesser chance for some further removed cousins. All modified by traits ofcourse. A modest cousin wouldn't be likely to make grandiose claims and such.

Blood proximity was very important in the Middle Ages. Quite a few "legal" heirs under Primogeniture were passed over by older siblings of the late King because the former was still a child or the paternity was uncertain.

Could Doomdark or Podcat (or any of the other Dev's) give us an answer as to the great question whether succession laws are tied to titles or persons? It would be very much appreciated for the further discussion amongst us forumites if we would know that.

Also, if it is not decided yet in the development, I would like to start a new thread to try and convince Paradox to make the succession laws tied to the titles ;)

It is decided and mostly implemented, but you will have to wait to find out what we are doing with it.

Because the poster specified that the current style is "anachronistic". If you choose one style of historical portraiture and then have it represent 400 years of history it's going to be just as anachronistic because it'll only be relevant for maybe 50 years, 100 at the very most.
Please don't post nonsense false equivalences like this. It is not "just as anachronistic" to have a medieval style that's a century or two off. Using modern art is a whole 'nother level of anachronism, especially when you consider that medieval art that was a century or two old would still have been in use.
It's better to have quite a neutral modern style as shown in the dev diary, and assume that it is a lifelike representation of the person, rather than a poor attempt at any particular style of historical painting.
How is that better? A "neutral" modern style can be a poor imitation too. Worse, it'll be a poor imitation of what's supposed to be realistic representational art--whereas medieval art, especially in the Early Middle Ages, could be quite crude and often did not have a coherent "style" in the modern sense. The primary goal of medieval art, after all, was decorative allegory. A poor imitation of medieval art is much more likely to look like the real thing than a poor imitation of modern art.

It is decided and mostly implemented, but you will have to wait to find out what we are doing with it.

Not quite the answer I hoped for, but still thanks for answering. We'll eagerly continue to wait for next dev diaries :)

Also I am quite pleased by the fact that you already have so many core things implemented. It will mean there is time enough for good balancing, tuning and testing!

This thread was posted last Monday, right? So we may have another one coming up soon? I'm excited...

I think he said we could expect them about once per month, at least this year. So just some more patience

EDIT: emu'd (or Jia'd, that is)

I believe it was mentioned that these diaries are monthly and not weekly.
Indeed. It's in the actual text of the dev diary.

Yet you can still marry your cousin in the game...

Yet you can still marry your cousin in the game...

if I am not mistaken, in most countries (even in the western hemisphere) it is fully legal to marry your cousin :) ... incest is defined as relationships between a person and his/her family in ascending/descending line (children, grandchildren, parents, grandparents) as well as brothers and sisters. Cousins are not included.

if I am not mistaken, in most countries (even in the western hemisphere) it is fully legal to marry your cousin :) ... incest is defined as relationships between a person and his/her family in ascending/descending line (children, grandchildren, parents, grandparents) as well as brothers and sisters. Cousins are not included.

Legal yes, but it still raises serious eyebrows.

Absolutely ... but it isn't taboo. But a 23 year old marrying a 77 year old also raises eyebrows .. and it is perfectly legal (and is also in the game) :)

Maybe a little, but I would be more at loss if it were a 23 year old and a 77 year old, than if it were cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.