• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Crusader Kings 3 Dev Diary #50 - Poetry to my Ears

Crusader Kings 3 Dev Diary #50 - Poetry to my Ears​

Welcome, comrades, to the latest dev diary, and let’s all give an especially warm welcome to the poet trait! This venerable little piece of content is making a triumphant return from the annals of CK2 as part of the 1.3 free patch.

This ain’t just your CK2 poet trait, though, this is the all new poet trait: reworked stats, a character interaction, and (for which I am so very, very sorry) randomised poetry generation.

ag0OSLonNk6WsHbkYpRUfnj5pENtksF3VCe1gKqj0ufCj3K9r8Hd3Socvs0Ixjc0OKgJVMpD6JA9GDm1moMix4NG6y5MTs2Smh0J0jks1g-PdzUOBdnivh3jf5Iwk5wExPYhBaMn

Oh yeah, we’re doing this.

Writing a Poem​

First, a little detour into how poetry works. Every poem has a theme, and, at present, we have five themes to choose from:
  1. Romance - in which the poet expresses affection and desire for the subject.
  2. Legacy - in which the poet muses on the nature of death and power, and the subject’s impact on the world.
  3. Mourning - in which the poet discusses the death and lingering emotions left behind after the subject, or a relative of theirs, passes away.
  4. Strife - where the poet expounds on the necessity of seizing power, life, and opportunity when it appears, and on glories yet to be won.
  5. Incompetence - wherein the poet slams the subject for their weakness, incompetence, and method of eating asparagus.

v16SFREuLVjvYnq0rMrI4sMxbYpcJdh7F0-Cebt0HveUu91V6mlsMImgLsGpXKqG2aOQmhtl865uK5if1C7teqV3wyfsdYmfyLPkdKaTo9NWNooGKpl6PdRiuoM8W1QpByvu7DmM

Once we know the theme and subject (if any), we can feed that into custom localisation functions that randomise a couplet. At present, we have both intro and outro functions for each theme, as well as title generation, allowing us to generate ditties between two and four lines in length plus title, though I hope to expand on these in future.

Since these are just ordinary custom locs, they can be dropped into any event or event chain fairly easily, meaning we can auto-generate bad poetry anywhere in future.

Let’s have some examples. Here’s a love poem to the woman that Lord Elisedd ap Tewdwr never quite met:
Kocl7xWoncPloG33_qfFvhH4PnF9hnzY0SUIvmatCDvPopnszEqgLXqcMQbYnsa9gipCKWt_FxXEadCZ2YyU2shPDLAV3dlc5Ub0k034OFC0dMlgBtsMDno5gQRi6757MDD_qfWM

And another, as he ruminates on the problems of succession:
0eBBV5BM_cMKqLyCqQRFowOTlqz_W7ColX09Q1CRQVEQagzvRsKLzq-7JKuW7ZpIusw055ToQbssdi4oC-5ikTN6laNnuTtCC6Yf_J393vdrCz0FjJLQ_ynBt0Jf3J9m3OTlAiyw

And a third, where the lord laments the success of Prince Rhodri ap Merfyn in northern Wales:
swutZdgi9XHijMQqywuSIuXTIq4Qf0tJFe9VLX-wyAfkXLA6oqUcgO1Cl7Fk8le7GEaquLFU8RbQlXmcOkQt0f6FrQ3r6yqSt85wjd3DFiDKiq741BmjCCxOo3Qnpd1Y-DXlK-JJ

Use​

So, that’s all well and good (or, y’know, utterly horrible if you have any command of basic rhyming), but how do we actually use poems in-game? A few ways!

Firstly, we have the triumphant return of the V-completelyoriginal tortuous poetry interaction variant:
eUv8Mr79GthgJb_VAEbGMk9ABw0cWnIlPNnuxcaqBQa46NaTzXOBTqtNOGz53PYeeqFZ6MFn6uylHRzcjoxtW13UZBX12dorCbCnxwxkaJLu9LfpRHGbutiUHFcV6Cs6JS-g3kXI

Characters who are poets and elect to torture their prisoners will, frequently, spend hours declaiming their very worst poetry to them. As with any use of the torture interaction, this can cause a hideous amount of stress.

More than this, though, poets can also send poems to most characters within diplomatic range. In all instances, sending a poem costs a little prestige, but the effects available depend on the theme selected, and the themes available depend on who you’re writing to.

A romantic poem makes the subject like you, a poem about their legacy makes them like you and gives them a little piety, a poem about strife makes them like you and gives them a little prestige, and a poem about mourning makes them like you and gives them a little stress loss. Unless, of course, they dislike the poem and publicly mock you for it...

8d1P1mNWcKTqwz-3THzVX37KHmlz3TMqUUV0MWH0ggMhboji2o3hbcx83va4W4oZwolSQtOvBTPOWMDVWCFE3Z-pSpQoLMDNLNtxUGiXwyt99DIjfNq-kcsJDhoFHJ43SNsHxyfv

Some poems are quite flattering to receive, and may well be accepted without question:
wLEWk1UlrkHGFtic_G3qOdoGNUs57NwsKlOd3Kd-Fq7tGT0yV-mmgzQA90cROWPV5mWdrCljgMXQ7ab7rYcVE2dy5dK2kj2t5LtAip7gGXLLONtaAKo9qixUDldsC2V75P4a0G7f

Whilst others are… less polite.

qwlLx6xK_frI9Wlbxh2RjdWlk_XeVmyadTBtJ6DmBYFEfO7tZIxo35a1iRQsgrdjxLap8zcxUMzgUYKM3EwV-4Xc13O9V2gl428SY65O5lVebdFdt2XChgVe0QLqdYvrxFYhTPS7

And yes, these are all useable in MP.

Just for fun, let’s have a few out-of-context poems.

7Gl3NKTXOHmYSXg0sp9ouEUF2D-Gv2VJGxGCB9j9Y2XswJAJom2ruVm6qp9MDdwK6VLrmufmgDbpHLG3c6IyY3MkNoN2FpV8MbK5La6L1K1GAsDhOLgN02UiAOcb1OTcEaE1k25W

YSlOzkqxFYl9PpotmjNc_YTBssvyRRvN1YgxhJtJkzH3FGge6yJw-yBkf_5ib0zYlVOs3nxclEL58rr8bjCEG0T2oik6g65XcNfKmLH9JYo791XSC8A2THCBwvyhVNiWBidoqcO0

Yuuvl-h3gL8XxJ3mcnmZLNLrHKMC5SPNQ1wwcSgI7-yvGklYL5rFo6WuYFQ5g6GbWmEVbp9LEcozcI-x2XnPNb2i5e7qtZaUaOjt4FMsY1MEgfL41EVRBjWDCTrlyGa_9eYQsKwg

Bbdl2e3ccG1Lq9hvV0NqWUR_oa8Y52I4AvI_tK6VO_80YxUFXn2-FkBy1W2ghSGLInO3I51lI-nVoWA8uhnsidA5UMB_7wULfVqu3vDSGpvr4QxzUvjFncLT--FFPM0ySl-o7w2Z

4_wkmVxd545rh6M1hP7V1M0mCk24lS1Ip3IZwpSCe94uSPMhlAjtgzP2_r6VGQREhXR2IRVfIKQ1YlCuu-wUOfiVR6JNYel8Hlmt1t_8VJucuteKSSlyb4_r7KVPbm3YUYNGedM_

xbtg7UMcO7UH4qkUY18OuSp1uXagRw5uMex7TiP2AQuhom_VaGbZO9V6zra0PDMm4WuvUKsghcOi0F6x3nZHvhYvsabKzvZh1Q4Ztg87GwBpP7iFwXt0h4xh6IO-0Gai-2jmZdgS

To round off this DD, we'd like to give you a sneak peek at some of the upcoming fixes & changes in the 1.3 patch. These aren't the full patch notes! More will come in upcoming DDs.
###################
# Balance
###################
- Men-at-Arms, Special Troops and Mercenaries now have travel time and, like Levies, have a penalty to disband/re-raise during wars. Travel time is based on the distance to the realm capital. This should effectively stop being able to ‘teleport’ MaA across the map
- The renown cost of acquiring Dynasty Legacies has been overhauled. Instead a linear progression (1000, 2000, 3000… etc.) the cost is now dynamic. It should be much easier to unlock your first few Legacy perks, but significantly harder to unlock all Legacies in the game.
- All Dynasty Legacy perks have been rebalanced. Their effects should now be much more tangible and interesting.
- The Yearly Event pools have been restructured, and a lot of triggers loosened or removed outright. In practice this means that you’ll see more events when playing (roughly one random event from this pool every 4 years rather than every 5-6 years). This also means that some extremely rare events will now appear more frequently.
- The Infirm trait events have been moved from the Yearly pulse to the Health pulse. What this means is that all characters can now become infirm, not only rulers. It is also much more likely for elderly characters to actually get the trait.
- Grandchildren and Great-Grandchildren should no longer wander off, following the same rules as Children
- Married characters will no longer wander off if they are in a realm where they are subservient to the other part of the marriage, and their spouse is in the same court
- You can now Disinherit people outside your diplomatic range
- AI rulers who form an alliance in the middle of a war now wait 1 month before calling their new ally to arms.
- Feudalizing as a Tribe no longer requires all Tribal-Era innovations, now you only need 70% (9) of all Civic & Military Innovations
- You will no longer get stress from Parents or Siblings dying of old age when they're 65 or older (if they're friends or lovers you might still get stress, though)
... and many more [will be posted in future DDs]

###################
# Interface
###################
- Hovering over the unit plate of a friendly unit now shows its full path. Great for seeing where your allies are going
- Players now receive a warning when their enemy in a war forms a new alliance
- Updated the Current Situation widget with a fresh new coat of paint. It’s now darker with more muted colors, and some flavorful decor.
- Current Situation entries now only show ‘X’ to close when hovered
- Added a Current Situation item for hooks about to expire; it'll tell you when a hook expires in less than 3 months
- Added a message that lets the employer know if their councilors leave because of marriage or title inheritance
- Building a new holding will now in the Domain view say you're building the holding type (E.G., "Castle") rather than the name of the main building (E.G., "Motte")
- Ensured scheme success and secrecy modifiers show up as percentages in all cases

###################
# Game Content
###################
- All formerly inaccessible Religious Clothes/Headgear are now accessible in the Barbershop. You want to wear the Pope’s hat and Steppe Pagan robes? Go right ahead!
- Added a small interaction to pardon a subject’s crimes in exchange for opinion.
- A guardian might now get a hook on their ward, should they be of a greedy/deceitful persuasion
- You can now offer concubines and consorts to other characters!
- When Offering Vassalization to a feudal ruler, you may now offer a more lenient Contract to improve their chance of accepting.
- Added a narrative event for converting to a new Faith, as well as a notification for when your liege converts to a new Faith.

Well, that’s all from me for this week, but stay tuned for next week’s diary, where we’ll be getting into something a little less passive aggressive.

• 210Like
  • 57Love
  • 14Haha
Reactions:
As always, thank you for sharing your sentiment & feedback with the team!
Any question let us know, we would love to chat with you :D

• 13Like
Reactions:
This sounds like "Seigneurs, sachiez qui or ne s’en ira
En cele terre ou Dieu fut morz et vis
Et ki la croiz d’Outremer ne prendra
A paines mès ira en Paradis
" to my ears.

• 4Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
I wrote a little poem for you all in my lunch, I hope you all appreciate it <3
Romance be not foreign to us,
the rules we both knoweth.
Marriage is what I bethinking,
nay one else can offer thee this.

I lay bare mine feelings upon thee,
I desire thy understanding.

• 28Like
  • 16Haha
  • 6Love
Reactions:
Any extra RP events and story arcs are always welcomed!!!

Also, I really like some of the balancing and and game content updates (especially the end of MaA teleporting!)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C A-N-D W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L.
A very, very, very good job, team! Glad to see this addition in the game, and excited for the upcoming changes both in 1.3 and in the DLC!
One question: is the poem quality going to be affected from the maker's Learning attribute?

• 11Like
Reactions:
F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C A-N-D W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L.
A very, very, very good job, team! Glad to see this addition in the game, and excited for the upcoming changes both in 1.3 and in the DLC!
One question: is the poem quality going to be affected from the maker's Learning attribute?
Originally, yes. Unfortunately, it turns out that, in order to vary poems by quality, you need to be able to compose varying qualities of poem. :p So now poems are simply... poems. There's nothing stopping us from dubbing a particular poem amazing or terrible, but it'd be a separate quality from the actual copy.
Does this system have dynamic pun support?
[spray bottle] Back to the space mines with ye, knave! This is medieval territory!

• 44Haha
  • 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I wonder when we will start to hear about the first DLC :confused: I'd like to know anything to be honest :D
:cool: Not whilst we've still got free content announcements left to dish out.

• 17Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
good to see more flavor added as free content, for a game like CK3 this seems like exactly how it should be done

also good to see we'll be getting a hefty QOL patch, which I think is what I'm most excited for

• 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting. I've been missing the poet trait quite a lot actually. There were so many troubadours that were rulers, not to mention all the troubadours that were sponsored by rulers who went across the land like rockstars from court to court, it certainly merits its own flavour pack. Cour d'amour in general actually.

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Interesting. I've been missing the poet trait quite a lot actually. There were so many troubadours that were rulers, not to mention all the troubadours that were sponsored by rulers who went across the land like rockstars from court to court, it certainly merits its own flavour pack. Cour d'amour in general actually.
this is something that has been missing from CK really, troubadours as well as people like Minnesingers in German lands. would be cool if you could get wandering artists who you could sponsor or something, patronizing their work and then if it creates something great you get prestige maybe. these people couldn't feed themselves!

• 1Like
Reactions: