• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Crusader Kings 3 Dev Diary #39 - Achievements Showcase

Greetings, dear friends, and welcome to the final pre-release dev diary! Today, we’ll be doing something nice and light, since we know you’re all hyped for the release next month, and couldn’t possibly stand the tension otherwise.

So, with that in mind, let’s have a look at what achievements you can get, and the ways of getting them. As we’re so close to release, we’ll be taking a gander at the full list!

… With apologies in advance for the puns. -_- They forced me to implement them.

a_house_of_my_own_achievement.png
a_legacy_to_last_the_ages_achievement.png
a_name_known_throughout_the_world_achievement.png
a_perfect_circle_achievement.png
above_god_achievement.png
al_andalus_achievement.png

1. A House of my Own: create a cadet branch of your dynasty.
  2. A Legacy to Last the Ages: complete an entire dynasty legacy path.
  3. A Name Known Throughout the World: have your dynasty reach the highest possible level of renown.
  4. A Perfect Circle: have only two distinct parents, grandparents, and great grandparents, counting absent ancestors as individual characters.
  5. Above God: have a strong hook on your head of faith.
  6. Al-Andalus: starting as an Iberian Muslim, control all of Iberia and take the Avenge the Battle of Tours decision.
almost_there_achievement.png
an_unfortunate_accident_achievement.png
bad_blood_achievement.png
beacon_of_progress_achievement.png
blood_eagle_achievement.png
carolingian_consolidation_achievement.png

1. Álmost There: as Álmos Árpád, form Hungary & convert to Christianity.
  2. An Unfortunate Accident: inherit a title from someone via murder.
  3. Bad Blood: go to war with one of your siblings over a claim.
  4. Beacon of Progress: have your culture unlock all innovations, excluding regional and culture-specific innovations.
  5. Blood Eagle: starting as any child of Ragnarr Lothbrok, conquer all of the British Isles.
  6. Carolingian Consolidation: starting as a Karling, be the only independent Karling to hold a landed title.
celebrity_achievement.png
death_did_us_part_achievement.png
dreadful_ruler_achievement.png
end_of_an_era_achievement.png
fine_print_achievement.png
followed_by_shadows_achievement.png

1. Celebrity: reach the highest possible level of fame.
  2. Death Did Us Part: murder your spouse.
  3. Dreadful Ruler: have the maximum amount of dread.
  4. End of an Era: play until 1453.
  5. Fine Print: use a hook to modify a feudal contract.
  6. Followed by Shadows: know ten secrets simultaneously.
for_the_faith_achievement.png
frankokratia_achievement.png
from_rags_to_riches_achievement.png
give_a_dog_a_bone_achievement.png
going_places_achievement.png
its_not_a_cult_achievement.png

1. For the Faith: take part in a successful Great Holy War, on either side.
  2. Frankokratia: as a French Catholic, hold and completely control the Kingdom of Thessalonika without holding or being vassalised to the Byzantine Empire.
  3. From Rags to Riches: starting as a count, lead your line to rule an empire.
  4. Give a Dog a Bone: starting as Matilda of Tuscany, lead your dynasty to rule the Kingdom of Italy, have at least fifty living dynasty members, and found a Holy Order.
  5. Going Places: as Haesteinn of Montaigu in 867, hold any kingdom-tier title.
  6. It’s not a Cult: create a faith.
keeping_it_in_the_family_achievement.png
kings_to_the_seventh_generation_achievement.png
know_your_place_achievement.png
land_of_the_rus_achievement.png
last_count_first_king_achievement.png
monumental_achievement.png

1. Keeping it in the Family: have a child with the inbred trait.
  2. Kings to the Seventh Generation: starting as Count Eudes of Anjou in 867, lead your dynasty to rule the Kingdom of France.
  3. Know Your Place: defeat a faction in war.
  4. Land of the Rus: starting as Rurik the Troublemaker in 867, lead your dynasty to rule the Empire of Russia.
  5. Last Count, First King: starting as Duke Nuno of Portucale in 1066, form Portugal.
  6. Monumental: fully upgrade a duchy building anywhere in your personal domain.
mother_of_us_all_achievement.png
moving_up_in_the_world_achievement.png
non_nobis_domine_achievement.png
norman_yoke_achievement.png
not_so_feudal_system_achievement.png
paragon_of_virtue_achievement.png

1. Mother of Us All: starting as Magajiva Daura, reform an African pagan faith, and convert all counties in Africa to it.
  2. Moving up in the World: increase your rank.
  3. Non Nobis Domine: found a holy order.
  4. Norman Yoke: starting as William the Bastard in 1066, win the Norman Invasion, become English, and have only English Vassals below you in the Kingdom of England.
  5. Not So Feudal System: use the claim throne scheme successfully.
  6. Paragon of Virtue: have three or more virtuous traits.
prolific_achievement.png
reconquista_achievement.png
rise_from_the_ashes_achievement.png
royal_dignity_achievement.png
saint_achievement.png
seductive_achievement.png

1. Prolific: have one hundred living dynasty members.
  2. Reconquista: starting as an Iberian Christian, convert all of Iberia to Christianity.
  3. Rise from the Ashes: restore the Roman Empire.
  4. Royal Dignity: starting as Vratislav Premyslid in 1066, lead your dynasty to rule the Kingdom of Bohemia & the Holy Roman Empire simultaneously.
  5. Saint: reach the highest possible level of devotion.
  6. Seductive: as any one character, successfully seduce ten people.
seven_holy_cities_achievement.png
sibling_rivalry_achievement.png
stressful_situation_achievement.png
the_emerald_isle_achievement.png
the_emperors_new_clothes_achievement.png
the_succession_is_safe_achievement.png

1. Seven Holy Cities: as a Hindu ruler, hold all seven Hindu holy sites at the same time.
  2. Sibling Rivalry: starting as any of the Jimena siblings in 1066, become Emperor of Spain.
  3. Stressful Situation: suffer a mental break.
  4. The Emerald Isle: starting as an Irish ruler, hold the Kingdom of Ireland.
  5. The Emperor’s New Clothes: while holding any empire title, be naked.
  6. The Succession is Safe: have ten living children.
the_things_love_does_for_us_achievement.png
the_things_we_do_for_love_achievement.png
trapped_in_the_web_achievement.png
turning_to_diamonds_achievement.png
until_death_do_us_part_achievement.png
way_of_life_achievement.png

1. The Things Love Does for Us: have a lover save you from a murder attempt.
  2. The Things We Do for Love: murder your lover’s spouse.
  3. Trapped in the Web: have strong hooks on three direct vassals.
  4. Turning to Diamonds: reach the highest possible stress level.
  5. Until Death Do Us Part: marry another character.
  6. Way of Life: obtain every perk in a lifestyle.
what_nepotism_achievement.png
wily_as_the_fox_achievement.png

1. What Nepotism?: have your dynasty rule ten independent realms of at least kingdom tier simultaneously.
  2. Wily as the Fox: starting as Robert the Fox in 1066, rule the Kingdom of Sicily, hold either the Kingdom of Epirus, Hellas, or Thessalonika, and convert all of its original counties to Catholicism.

And with that, we come to the end of the showcase! Anything here that particularly caught your eye, or something you’d like to have seen? I’ll be hanging around in the comments for a couple of hours afterwards, per the usual, so feel free to tag me with any questions you may have.

• 119Like
  • 50Love
  • 6Haha
Reactions:
@Wokeg

Achievements

Tonight, We Dine in Hell!
Starting as the count of Monemvasia in the Peloponnese, convert to Hellenism, create an independent Kingdom of Greece & survive a Great Holy War

Hail Sol Invictus
Rule the Roman Empire as a reformed Hellenic character

Tis But a Scratch!
Have a Knight in your service with one eye, one hand & one leg at the same time

:D

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
I'd like to know how many vanity characters are in the game, and if posible were... unles they are +500... in that case I think I can survive without that information
Hmm, not really sure, I'm afraid. At least a couple of dozen, though certainly not everyone who's worked on CK3 has made a vanity .

are the achievements checksum locked? how inflexible are the checksum? sometimes I just cant decide between playing HIP or getting achievements and also between using that in Heavens' graphical map mod vs ironman compatible pure vanila CK2 map
I'm not quite sure what the checksum does and doesn't allow offhand, but achievements are checksum locked, yes.

As someone who loves achievements to a point of obsession this was the Dev Diary i looked forward to more than any other, so thank you for writing it.
^^ Happy to hear!

I'm curious about the "Endgame Tags" that we finished out CKII with, like formable India, Outremer, Slavic Union, and so on - any confirmation whether there'll be similar ones in CKIII? If not, I might have an idea for my first mod.
:) India, Outremer, & Slavia are all in the title as formable via decision, though we don't have an endgame tags system like EUIV does.

• 10Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Hmm, not really sure, I'm afraid. At least a couple of dozen, though certainly not everyone who's worked on CK3 has made a vanity .

I'm not quite sure what the checksum does and doesn't allow offhand, but achievements are checksum locked, yes.

^^ Happy to hear!

:) India, Outremer, & Slavia are all in the title as formable via decision, though we don't have an endgame tags system like EUIV does.
Nice. I like the change of language from "Slavic Union" to "Slavia." It has less real world unfortunate implications. I always liked to just change the name of the tag to "The Slavs" when I formed it, so my character would be like, Vasiliy III, Tsar of the Slavs. Any other similar "What-If" fantasy Empires you're allowed to talk about that I can make my "Win Conditions?" and start planning campaigns for? :3

• 5Like
Reactions:
Great art!

Reactions:
Can't see any Monty Python references. :(
Otherwise great though.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I haven't pre-ordered the game (due to cash flow issues :( ), but these look like a nice set of achievements. They are largely things that give you a long-term goal on a play-through rather than being short term check boxes. I think the only one I would have to play weirdly to get is the perfect circle one. The Norman Yoke one I have never done in CKII (nor a few of the other character locked ones), but mostly because I enjoy mucking about in the eastern Med.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Very nice list of achievements, though like others, I do think there isn't a good balance between easy achievements (ones that require little to no actual work in order to receive them, e.g. marriage) and those that require time and effort to achieve them. I don't mind the simple achievements -- at least it isn't like a game where you get an achievement every level you complete -- but I would like more achievements that require time and effort. And not just achievements related to specific characters either. It's fine to have achievements requiring you to start as someone specific, but what I'd prefer are ones that are not tied to specific people so you can start wherever you want and still work toward the achievements. I'd even be open to seeing some achievements relating to creating certain realms... uniting Ireland, Scotland, and England or uniting Norway, Sweden, and Finland for example. Or something more long term relating to a custom faith... not just creating one, but having your custom religion spread to X number of counties (25 or 50, maybe) or even reviving a dead faith and spreading it to X number of counties. Maybe have an achievement or two related to each of the lifestyles, such as kidnap, torture, and ransom a king (or emperor) (or execute instead of ransom) for intrigue or befriend your entire council for diplomacy for example. Things that take a focus on a certain lifestyle to achieve that will help get people to try all lifestyles.

It also seems most achievements other than the basic/easy ones are pretty much centered in Europe. There are only a few beyond the easy ones that are in Africa or Asia. Maybe this is because those will be added with expansions that will expand on the playability of those other areas of the map, but I still think we should see more from the other areas of the map. I know Europe tends to be the main focus of CK and I do usually play in Europe myself, but it would still be good to be more balanced around the rest of the map.

Overall, I still like the achievements, but I feel they could definitely use some work (expanding on what's there, nothing has to be removed). They are currently a bit lackluster, unfortunately.

Reactions:
I would have liked to see there be a special achievement made for the Iberian Intrigue guys. "Discover the secret that your married sister, who is also your lover, has a boyfriend!"

• 8Haha
Reactions:
A Name Known Throughout the World: have your dynasty reach the highest possible level of renown.
What does the highest possible level of renown mean? Is it to unlock all legacies, or is there some sort of ceiling to how much renown we can have saved up at one time that we have to reach?

What does the highest possible level of renown mean? Is it to unlock all legacies, or is there some sort of ceiling to how much renown we can have saved up at one time that we have to reach?
I suppose it's talking about Splendor?
Renown is a resource accumulated by a Dynasty, and is used for several things. Firstly, all renown earned by a Dynasty counts towards its Level of Splendor. The Level of Splendor is the outward perception of the Dynasty, how well it is perceived in the eyes of the world, and affects the prestige you get on birth, the prestige when marrying into it, and the maximum long reign opinion you can get. Having a high level also makes it much easier to arrange marriages, especially with Dynasties below your level. Regardless of if Renown is spent or not, the Level of Splendor won’t decrease. The higher your Dynasty’s Level of Splendor, the more impressive its Coat of Arms frame will look. Peasant Dynasties will start at a negative Splendor level, which means that you’ll actually lose prestige for marrying them.

Reactions:
I would have liked to see there be a special achievement made for the Iberian Intrigue guys. "Discover the secret that your married sister, who is also your lover, has a boyfriend!"
I believe these achievements were probably made long before the Iberian Intrigue streams even started, seeing that they have all the beautiful art already finished. And at this point they probably can't add any more, so close to the launch.

Reactions:
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
Kiss Me, I'm Irish
As a character of Irish culture, seduce 10 people.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
These look great! I especially love the artwork for the icons, well done guys!

I would however like to say that I am a tad disappointed not to see an achievement for restoring a Zoroastrian Persian Empire, similar to the "One Who Brings Benefit" achievement from CK2. Perhaps an achievement idea for a future Middle East themed DLC? :D

The Fire Rises
As a Mazdayasna (Zoroastrian) ruler, found a Holy Order and restore the Persian Empire.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: